“Lovely new hotel”

Ranked #41 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Moorhead, Minnesota
“Lovely new hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

My husband and I spent three nights here. Similar to other reviewers, our room had no drinking glasses in the room and only one coffee pod so It seems this may be a business practice rather than an oversight. The linens and towels were obviously new and very plush. The robe was wonderful. My husband thought the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed he has slept in. The I/O bar was absolutely gorgeous, I would love to see it in the summer. We had a couple of signature cocktails, which were just fine. I took advantage of the spa and had a very nice massage. All in all, a very nice hotel and one I'd stay at again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MerryMary2013
Jermaine A, Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Hi MerryMary2013,

Thank you for staying for three nights with us and for your recent review. We're glad you and your husband enjoyed your time and loved I|O Urban Roofscape as well. We look forward to your return visit and please let us know if we can assist you with booking your stay in the future.

Thanks again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Korean first
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

The Godfrey is a new boutique hotel in downtown Chicago. This was my first time staying at this hotel; but I must say, it will not be my last! This hotel is absolutely breathtaking! The rooms are extremely clean and chic. I was so pleasantly surprised! The staff is excellent; especially Joshua - the front desk clerk. He is amazing! Joshua was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I frequent Chicago a lot and I have stayed at most all of the 4 - 5 star hotels in downtown Chicago but I must say that The Godfrey is by far the best hotel that I have stayed at. If you are planning a trip to Chicago, you must stay at The Godfrey! You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Lady-On-The-Go43,

Thank you for your recent review and the great compliments about our new hotel. We're happy you found your stay "amazing" and even happier to hear you'll be returning again. We'll pass along your kind words to our team members as well. We're looking forward to your next trip to the Windy City!

Thank you again Lady-On-The-Go43.
Oak Brook, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Booked a king suite, taking advantage of introductory rate $110/night. Very clean and new, just opened a few weeks ago. Overall the suite was smaller than I expected, but ample space for two people. The sitting room had a comfy purple velvet couch with a pull-out sleeper. Our sitting room TV would not turn on so we just used the one in the bedroom. Also, there was a Keurig coffee maker in room but coffee was missing and there were no drinking glasses so had to call down to front desk. They brought up missing items within an hour. No refrigerator in the room so don't plan on storing drinks/leftovers.

Very quiet room, surprising given its location which is close to everything. Bed extremely comfortable and towels large and soft.

We did not use the spa/fitness center but it looks on par with most bigger Chicago hotels, and better than your average boutique hotel.

Staff were reasonable but not overly friendly. Valet parking is steep $55/day and unnecessary as the parking garage is about a hundred feet around the corner, with doors that go directly into the hotel, for $43/day.

Urban roofscape is a GORGEOUS space that will no doubt be wall-to-wall people in good weather. For now, with the snow, it was a lovely quiet place to have lunch. The staff there seemed much friendlier, although the manager never materialized (I was looking for event planning information) even though we were the only two patrons in the restaurant.

Overall, a well located boutique type hotel that is worth booking as it is new and clean. There were few very minor mishaps here and there but no dealbreakers. Not sure I'd pay more than $150-200/night for it, though, and only then for a suite--I can only imagine how small the regular rooms are.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hello Mom2MED,

Thank you for your recent review and for staying with us. We appreciate the time you spent to write a detailed review and we are happy that you enjoyed some of our amenities, including our comfortable pull out sleeper, soft bedding, Keurig coffee maker and more.

We're also thrilled you enjoyed the time at I|O Urban Roofscape and happy to hear the staff was friendly.

We do take all feedback into consideration and I would be happy to further discuss your comments. You can call me directly at 312-374-1822. I also can put you in touch with our sales and events team as they would be happy to provide you with details on booking events or parties. Thank you again Mom2MED.

Thank you again.
Jermaine Anderson
Hotel Manager
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed at the Godfrey hotel when in town for business. I found a great rate on expedia and was very happy with the accommodations. I had a king suite. There is a nice bar on the 4th floor. I would recommend and stay here again. Good location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hello 1bsmile,

Thank you for your review and we're happy you booked with us while traveling for business. We hope you found our location in the heart of downtown Chicago convenient for your business needs - just steps away from the Loop and Michigan Avenue.

We look forward to seeing you again - for business or your personal travels.

Thanks again, 1bsmile.
Charleston, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

New hotel, and it will be great once they work the kinks out. The wiring in the room is wonky. I would use the remote in the bedroom and it turned the television on in the living room. One of the lamps wasn't connected to any of the wall outlets and didn't have a switch on the lamp itself and could only be turned off by unplugging it. The room could have been cleaner but the bar is amazing. The guy who worked at the front desk at night could not answer a very basic question, which was, "What hours is breakfast served in the restaurant?"

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Roxane G
Jermaine A, Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Roxane - Thank you for your recent review and for staying with us.

We appreciate your feedback as we do read each review carefully. Just as you noted, we're a new hotel and we certainly strive to be the very best. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will return the next time your travels allow. Have a great day.

Thanks again.
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Arrived today. Computers weren't working, so no room key could be issued. Bellman took me to my room and opened the door with master key.My key showed up a bit later. I needed to get to work immediately upon arrival, so the check-in took way too long and was very annoying.

Went out for dinner. When I came back, the elevator would not respond to floor buttons.. Maintenance guy needed his key to get the elevator to work. Wha?

I liked the idea of staying somewhere new. I took advantage of the $1 upgrade to suite. While accommodations meet the technical definition (two rooms plus bath) there is absolutely nothing suite-worthy here. The lights in the bedroom are much too dim to read by; the living area isn't lit much better. While some might call the furnishings modern, I think they are cheap, tasteless and tacky. White plastic desk, white plastic garbage pail, gray office-like side table...looks like a rent-an-office. Certainly not a refuge.

Few outlets, and inconveniently located.

Only two keurig coffee cartridges, and only one of those was not decaf. Again, had to ask for more.

Two bath towels and one extra roll of tp. One box of tissues. Asked for and received extra towels and supplies.

Bathroom has zero storage and practically no counter space.

NO drinking glasses. At all. There is one bottle of $4 water, but, I repeat, NO DRINKING glasses. Too tired to call down again to ask for what I consider basic hotel amenities.

To be fair, I'm paying very little (about $140 a night). Even in the dead of winter, this is quite inexpensive for Chicago.

The Godfrey may well find its clientele (note that all the recs thus far are from locals, if that means anything), but next trip I will go back to my usual faves and leave the Godrey to those who may better appreciate it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mrsdebdav
Jermaine A, Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Mrs. Debdav,

Thank you for your review and for staying at our newly opened hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we will look into the issues you mentioned. We are quite proud of our graciously-sized rooms and suites, which boast chic and sophisticated designs.

I welcome a further conversation with you as we would like to see you as a guest in the future. Please call me at your convenience at 312-374-1822.

Thank you again for staying with us.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel just last week! It was incredible, I was amazed at how nice the place was. The staff was also so friendly!

What was even better than the hotel was the parking! I was able to reserve parking right from my phone with SpotHero in The garage at the Godfrey! Here's the link to the garage:

• Stayed February 2014
11 Thank Eric P
Hi Eric P - Thank you for your recent review and for staying with us. We're happy to hear you think our hotel is "incredible" and we'll pass along your kind words to the team as well. It's great that you found our parking options helpful - we appreciate the positive feedback.

Thank you again Eric and please visit again soon.