“The best hotel ever!!”

The Godfrey Hotel Chicago
Ranked #52 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My stay was great!!! Joshua(front desk attendant) was the best. He greeted us with a warming smile....he gave us a quality service. Joshua gave us a tour of the hotel, and answered all of our questions, and was very welcoming!! They accommodated us in every way possible! Rooms are a good size, and the bed was softer than cotton. I will only stay at the Godfrey for now on!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Tlewis2
Jermaine A, Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Tlewis2,

What a wonderful review - we're thrilled you stayed with us and equally thrilled to hear your praises. We love being called "the best hotel ever" and certainly aim to live up to those expectations for every guest.

We hope you'll visit again soon. Thanks Tlewis2.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,952)

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Needed a local overnight get a way. Got a great deal on Priceline. Hotel is brand new and clean. Very modern and hip. Staff was great. The bar was fun and packed. Diverse sophisticated crowd. Overall great time.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Jermaine A, Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Sqwiggy,

Thank you for your great review and for staying with us during your staycation. We're glad you enjoyed your time during your overnight getaway, which sounds like you certainly needed and deserved. We're thrilled you also took advantage of our amenities as well as I|O Urban Roofscape, Chicago's newest hotspot on our fourth floor that boasts unobstructed views of Chicago's southern skyline.

We hope to see you again for your next staycation or at I|O Urban Roofscape.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Where do I start?! I had very high expectations for this hotel and they pretty much met my expectations! This hotel is a funky new boutique hotel that is finding it's spot within the area.

Pro's:
Awesome clean rooms
Quiet rooms
Amazing, knowledgeable staff!
Accommodating staff
Great price for the location

Con's:
Still working out the kinks-- give them some time and this will be fine!

For my overall review:

If you're visiting in the next few months, be ready to hit a few speed bumps. This is a brand new boutique hotel, so they are still learning the ropes and are making the necessary adjustments as they go (or at least I hope so!). When we arrived at 6 pm to check in, people had been waiting since 3 pm to check in. I feared that we would be in the same situation and wouldn't have our room for a few hours. However, we lucked out and got our room immediately (I felt a little guilty.. but took it and "ran"!). The staff was being tested with their customer service and patience. They did excellent in keeping their calm and provided excellent customer service during this time! Great job!

Our room on the 15th floor was wonderful! We were missing our toiletries, however this was minimal since we got a room. We spoke with services outstanding members, and she promptly sent some up to the room when we headed out for the evening.

Andrea, one of the guest service desk members was beyond amazing! She went out of her way to make sure our stay was wonderful. Thank you! She made reservations for us at a restaurant that she recommended, made great suggestions on things to do, etc. My biggest suggestion to anyone staying at this hotel: Use the staff for food suggestions-- they suggested every meal to us and never failed!

The staff also went above one last time when our flight was delayed on our final night. They extended our stay with no question and allowed us to stay in the same room. I appreciated this, as it made it really easy for us to adjust to the inconvenience. (Though I'm sad they didn't give us the promotion with credits and all... but that's ok-- we had somewhere to stay!)

As for the IO Bar.... I'm not sure where to start. We were given complimentary drinks for the delay in check in, so we decided to check it out on our first night. When we showed up, the hostess told us we had to sit out in the lobby. It was weird. It was almost like we were not privy to entering the actual bar. I'm not sure if we needed to say that we were guest of the hotel to get in? Who knows. It took awhile to get served.. but once we got the drinks, they were really strong and pretty good! I know they are going for a really upscale feel in the bar, however I would suggest allowing the waiters to relax... they look like robots right now. Just my observation.

Long winded review, but overall I think this hotel was great and has a lot going for it once it works out the minor kinks.

1  Thank adr89

Hello ADR89,

Thank you for staying with us and for your positive review. We're thrilled you had a great trip and happy to hear all the "pros" you listed for staying with us. Our team is trained to be as accommodating as possible and we love hearing that they were friendly and helpful during your stay. We'll also give extra praises to the team member who you mentioned as well. Thank you for noting that.

We hope to see you again soon. Thank you again ADR89.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Had a fantastic 2 night stay at The Godfrey with my husband to celebrate his birthday. The room was clean and nicely decorated. The lounge on the 4th floor is absolutely beautiful and will be spectacular in the summer when the roof is open. The staff is professional and friendly. I was particularly pleased with the service received from Joshua (front desk), Jose (bellman), and Chris (bartender). Jose and Joshua provided VIP service from check in to check out. We were originally assigned 1419 but I did not care for the view, Joshua quickly put us in 1608 as soon as it was cleaned. We went to the lounge and I wanted something other than what is offered on the drink menu so I asked Chris to get creative and he did. I hope Chris is there to make me another Peach Angel when I return this summer, delicious!

Room Tip: The higher floor suites ending in 08 have a better view.
1  Thank Angela B
Jermaine A, Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Hi Angela,

First, happy birthday to your husband! We're happy to hear you stayed with us for your getaway weekend and thrilled that you enjoyed yourself. We hope you'll visit again soon and we'll pass along your praises to the team. Come again soon - and certainly return for cocktails at I|O Urban Roofscape.

Thanks Angela.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

My husband and I spent three nights here. Similar to other reviewers, our room had no drinking glasses in the room and only one coffee pod so It seems this may be a business practice rather than an oversight. The linens and towels were obviously new and very plush. The robe was wonderful. My husband thought the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed he has slept in. The I/O bar was absolutely gorgeous, I would love to see it in the summer. We had a couple of signature cocktails, which were just fine. I took advantage of the spa and had a very nice massage. All in all, a very nice hotel and one I'd stay at again.

2  Thank MerryMary2013

Hi MerryMary2013,

Thank you for staying for three nights with us and for your recent review. We're glad you and your husband enjoyed your time and loved I|O Urban Roofscape as well. We look forward to your return visit and please let us know if we can assist you with booking your stay in the future.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

The Godfrey is a new boutique hotel in downtown Chicago. This was my first time staying at this hotel; but I must say, it will not be my last! This hotel is absolutely breathtaking! The rooms are extremely clean and chic. I was so pleasantly surprised! The staff is excellent; especially Joshua - the front desk clerk. He is amazing! Joshua was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I frequent Chicago a lot and I have stayed at most all of the 4 - 5 star hotels in downtown Chicago but I must say that The Godfrey is by far the best hotel that I have stayed at. If you are planning a trip to Chicago, you must stay at The Godfrey! You will not be disappointed!

Hi Lady-On-The-Go43,

Thank you for your recent review and the great compliments about our new hotel. We're happy you found your stay "amazing" and even happier to hear you'll be returning again. We'll pass along your kind words to our team members as well. We're looking forward to your next trip to the Windy City!

Thank you again Lady-On-The-Go43.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Booked a king suite, taking advantage of introductory rate $110/night. Very clean and new, just opened a few weeks ago. Overall the suite was smaller than I expected, but ample space for two people. The sitting room had a comfy purple velvet couch with a pull-out sleeper. Our sitting room TV would not turn on so we just used the one in the bedroom. Also, there was a Keurig coffee maker in room but coffee was missing and there were no drinking glasses so had to call down to front desk. They brought up missing items within an hour. No refrigerator in the room so don't plan on storing drinks/leftovers.

Very quiet room, surprising given its location which is close to everything. Bed extremely comfortable and towels large and soft.

We did not use the spa/fitness center but it looks on par with most bigger Chicago hotels, and better than your average boutique hotel.

Staff were reasonable but not overly friendly. Valet parking is steep $55/day and unnecessary as the parking garage is about a hundred feet around the corner, with doors that go directly into the hotel, for $43/day.

Urban roofscape is a GORGEOUS space that will no doubt be wall-to-wall people in good weather. For now, with the snow, it was a lovely quiet place to have lunch. The staff there seemed much friendlier, although the manager never materialized (I was looking for event planning information) even though we were the only two patrons in the restaurant.

Overall, a well located boutique type hotel that is worth booking as it is new and clean. There were few very minor mishaps here and there but no dealbreakers. Not sure I'd pay more than $150-200/night for it, though, and only then for a suite--I can only imagine how small the regular rooms are.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Hello Mom2MED,

Thank you for your recent review and for staying with us. We appreciate the time you spent to write a detailed review and we are happy that you enjoyed some of our amenities, including our comfortable pull out sleeper, soft bedding, Keurig coffee maker and more.

We're also thrilled you enjoyed the time at I|O Urban Roofscape and happy to hear the staff was friendly.

We do take all feedback into consideration and I would be happy to further discuss your comments. You can call me directly at 312-374-1822. I also can put you in touch with our sales and events team as they would be happy to provide you with details on booking events or parties. Thank you again Mom2MED.

Thank you again.