“MY BIRTHDAY. Great Time!!!”

The Godfrey Hotel Chicago
Ranked #46 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay there. I came for my birthday weekend. Josh and Shardae at the front desk were the best. They made me and my sister's experience at the Godfrey great. Customer service is key. My only issue was valet misplacing my keys and the room not being as big as I expected. I enjoyed the rooftop lounge as well.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ShyGirl89
Jermaine A, Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear ShyGirl89,

First and most important - Happy Birthday! We're thrilled you celebrated your important day with us. We are also happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and had a pleasant time with your sister. Please do know our rooms are graciously sized for an downtown Chicago hotel. We hope you and your sister will return again soon.

Thank you for staying with us and for your review.

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

I was eager to visit The Godfrey hotel because the building has been under construction for seven years, but I must say it was worth the wait!! The designers of this hotel paid incredible attention to detail. All the lighting, carpet, furniture, and even wall coverings in the room and public areas have incredible design and quality. I mean...the type of quality you would expect from a new hotel on the Las Vegas strip! The Aria is one of my favorite hotels in Vegas, and this hotel very much resembles the Aria to me. Of course the staff was great, the room was clean and the bedding (incredibly) comfortable...all the things you would expect from a nice hotel. ...but the Godfrey also has the "X factor" that will make you want to keep returning. Can't wait to return and continue telling my friends about this place!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Matt T

Hi Matt T,

Thank you very much for your recent review and for staying with us. We're glad you appreciated our sophisticated and chic design and even happier to hear you're looking forward to returning. We'd welcome your return and hope to see you again soon.

Thanks again Matt.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed at the Godfrey Hotel on Saturday March 1st to celebrate a friends birthday. The hotel, staff, and rooftop bar were all fantastic. Thank you for the great experience!!
Thank you Alejandro Barragan and the Roofscape staff for extra special service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Jermaine A, Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Hello Maeve,

Thank you for staying with us and for your very positive reviewed. We're thrilled to hear you had a terrific stay while celebrating your friend's birthday.

We'll also pass along the kind words to the team members at I|O Urban Roofscape, Chicago's largest indoor-outdoor rooftop lounge.

Thank you again Maeve. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Went to check in at 4:30PM and were told our room was not ready. Judging by the number of people in the lobby with their luggage, lots of people did not have their room ready. We explained that we had dinner and theater reservations and they said they would try to get us a room as fast as possible but could not provide an ETA. We went to cool our heels (along with the other guests) and one of the other front desk people came over and offered us some drink & food coupons for upstairs. Headed up to the 4th floor where the waitress was none too keen to hear about our issues and just wanted to know what we wanted to drink/eat (I suspect she was tired of not getting tipped by people sent up there - note we did tip her to help change her day). The good news is our room was ready pretty quick - I do however feel bad for the others who were still waiting in the lobby at 5:50PM when we went out to eat. Unfortunately upon returning to the hotel at 10:30PM, there was an event happening at our hotel and the 4th floor was so packed you could not even get off the elevator. Worse, I really only saw one security guard. At the end of the day however, the real issue with this hotel is that you can hear EVERYTHING in the hallway. The doors close with a loud bang that goes right into your room. Anyone talking at all in the hallway also comes right into your room. I'm not sure if they will ever be able to fix this part, but I suspect they will get the maid service issue solved.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jermaine A, Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Hello Doug,

Thank you for staying with us and for your recent review. I appreciate your headline, "Give it time, it will get better." We certainly are improving every day as we aim to make every guest as thrilled as possible with their visit, be it for work or pleasure.

We hope you'll return soon and please let me know if there is anything I can do in advance of your next visit. Thank you, Doug.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night on Valentine's Day. The front desk check in was good and they got us to our room quickly. It is a very nice, brand new hotel. I have no complaints on cleanliness or being old. The reason I mark this as poor is because we drove to Chicago for a relaxing, romantic Valentine's getaway. We went out on the town and came back to our room around 12:30-1am. We stayed on the 8th floor and as we entered our room we heard LOUD music. At first I thought it was a car driving by. Hours later after tossing and turning and pushing the pillows against our ears the music stopped. Apparently it was the music from their rooftop bar.
It really put a sour taste in my mouth. We are a younger married couple but having the bass shake your bed from 4 floors away is inexcusable. The next morning when we were waiting for valet to bring our car around another young couple was checking out...The front desk lady asked this other couple how their stay was. They told her they weren't happy because of the loud music. She apologized and told them that they will put them on a higher level floor next time they visit. So, all in all, don't come here if you're looking for a romantic, restful evening. Do come here if you're young and don't mind hearing music and feeling bass till the very early morning hours. Being tired the next day took away from the remainder of our trip. :( I just won't be returning now.

Room Tip: Don't come here if you're looking for a restful nights sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Natalie R

Dear Natalie R,

Thank you for your recent review and for choosing to stay with us on your romantic weekend getaway. We are happy to hear you appreciated our decor and new amenities to the hotel.

We certainly aim to make every guest as comfortable as possible, which includes a restful night sleep. If you wish to stay with us again, I want to make sure you're comfortable and pleasantly surprised. Please contact me directly at 312-374-1822.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Everything inside the hotel was exactly the way it was described on their website. I stayed from Sunday to Wednesday... I stayed in the one bedroom king suite. It was very clean, had a great view from the 16th floor, & the bed wa s super comfortable and plush. You have to visit the I/O lounge. Overall, I loved my stay and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Desiluuu
Jermaine A, Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Hello Desiluuu,

Thank you for staying with us and for your very positive review. We're thrilled you enjoyed the great views, along with our clean, spacious rooms. We're also happy you were able to check out I|O Urban Roofscape, Chicago's largest indoor-outdoor lounge.

We hope to see you again soon. Thanks again.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I booked The Godfrey for one night as a surprise for my husbands birthday. When I found out it was brand new I was so excited to see it.
What a beautiful place. The front desk (Joshua) was wonderful. He pointed us in the right direction for everything we wanted to do. Jose the bellman was awesome. He brought us ice to our room & offered to do anything we needed... Everyone at the front desk & at the front door greeting was so wonderful. Then we got to our room on the 15th floor. OMG what a view! It was great. The room is beautiful, bed was so comfortable, & the bedding was so soft & light. Didn't want to get up! Also the shower was awesome. Very quiet, but great pressure & hot water! Super quiet, slept like a baby! Loved it.
The I/O bar on the 4th floor is so inviting, even on a cold winter day. It will be wonderful in the summer, when the roof can be opened up. Can't wait to come back. All the restaurants, & Irish pubs that we visited were all within walking distance. I've never been this happy with a hotel before in Chicago. All the staff was so friendly from the bellman to the wait staff & maids!!
Keep up the great work, you folks are awesome!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeanne M

Hello Jeanne M,

Thank you for your "awesome" review of our hotel - we greatly appreciate it. We're thrilled you had a wonderful time with your husband. I'll pass along your kind words and praises to our team members as well. We pride ourselves on our friendly, accommodating service.

Thank you again - we hope to see you soon.