“Clean and quiet. No complaints”

The Godfrey Hotel Chicago
Ranked #43 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
North East, Maryland
“Clean and quiet. No complaints”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed on a Sunday night. Booked through Priceline. We had a room on the 12th floor facing the city so it was quiet and with a great view. I have heard some people have noise issues if you're close to the bar but that was not our experience. We arrived very early (1130am) and prepared to have to drop off our bags and leave but they had a room ready for us and we got right in.

The room was clean and everything looked very new. The bed was VERY comfortable. The tv, ihome radio, free wifi, and kurig machine, were all appreciated and enjoyed. The room service and in hotel restaurant looked to be very expensive, but perhaps that is the norm for this area of Chicago.

A few blocks from Michigan Ave and the Red Line which will get you just about anywhere.

Room Tip: South facing rooms get a better view of the city. Rooms near the 4th floor may have noise from the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jermaine A, General Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Hello jrcarey24,
Thank you for your review after your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our modern design and amenities that we offer in our guest rooms. I hope you took advantage of our location in the trendy River North neighborhood of Chicago. Thank you again for your review. I hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a week while traveling to Chicago for business. This hotel was fantastic with service, couldn't beat the location truly and you have to try the Pountin for breakfast. This hotel exceeded my expectations truly and I am recommending all of my friends to stay here during business trips and get away trips to Chicago. I'll be back for sure!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hello Ernst D,
Thank you for your review after your recent stay. I am thrilled to hear that The Godfrey Hotel exceeded you expectations during your business trip to Chicago and that you had a chance to experience I|O Urban Roofscape. Thank you again for your review. Hope to see you again soon.
Punta Gorda, FL
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed here for a few nights in June 2014. The room was nice, clean, and spacious. The bed was very comfortable, and there was a refrigerator in our room. The bathroom is big, with a large walk in shower. The staff is what makes this hotel standout from the rest. We were treated very well, and there was no request that they couldn't handle. The bar does not interfere with your stay. We decided to go there for one night of our stay, and we had a great time. You do not hear the music unless you are in the bar area. It didn't keep us up at night. My only constructive criticism would be directed at the valet parking. It was disorganized, and they were not very helpful. Akeem (axa) was great, and the concierge and the rest of the staff were excellent. I would recommend it to anyone, whether they are staying for business or pleasure.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rohnerju
Jermaine A, General Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hello rohnerju,

Thank you for writing a review. I am happy to hear that The Godfrey Hotel team was able to fulfill your every request. I will pass along the positive comments. I am glad you enjoyed our modern design and amenities.

Thank you again for writing a review.
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Booked hotel through Priceline and got a rate of $75 per night. Great price and enjoyed the clean comfortable beds and nice bath amenities. Hotel is nice and may be a 4-star hotel right now, but I can see this hotel going downhill really fast. The majority of guests here must all have purchased through Priceline as well because there are some really interesting guests in lobby and elevators. Lots of tattoos, piercings, gold chains, and really tight clothes on people who shouldn't be wearing them. Not a big deal, but not what I would expect from a 4-star hotel. Would stay here again for $75 but would not pay more than that and would definitely NOT recommend for business travelers or a business meeting. If you're paying more than $150 here, you're paying way too much.

Staff was also somewhat snooty. Was told they have the highest occupancy rate of any hotel in Chicago, but if that's the case, why are you selling me a room for $75?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JJPinger
Hello JJpinger,

Thank you for writing a review. It sounds like you received a great value rate while booking through a third party site. Regarding the team’s attitude, we will look into that and conduct remedial training as appropriate.

We’re happy you would return again and we hope to see you soon. Safe travels.
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We just returned from a 5-night stay and had a great experience. New and very clean! Booked on Priceline.com so read reviews after bid was accepted and knew to ask for an upper level floor. We were on 14th floor with a beautiful view if city. We were there with our 12-year old for a family vacation. No fridge in room, but I requested one and they brought it up immediately. Walgreens a few blocks away that we bought bottled water at and a whole foods a block and a half away for snacks. Booked parking ahead on park whiz.com at a lot a few blocks away that was half the price of the hotel price. We did not drive while we were there, so did not need daily access to our auto. Front desk VERY helpful, booked reservations at restaurants for us and great at helping with directions to various suers we visited. I would highly recommend this place as long as you can stay on upper floors. Some other patrons on lower floors were very annoyed with the noise from the nightclub that is on 4th floor.

• Stayed July 2014
Hello dahlkoetterk,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with your family on the 14th floor. I am glad you enjoyed our modern amenities and location in the trendy River North neighborhood of Chicago. I will pass along the positive comments to The Godfrey Hotel team.

Thank you again for your review. Hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

If you are a couple or a group of friends visiting Chicago for a party or to celebrate, then the Godfrey is a great choice for you! It has a central location and boasts modern design / luxury rooms that satisfy even the more demanding guests. However if you are a family with kids or a couple wanting to enjoy some down-time (or just a good night's sleep before the next day running around the sights), you might want to consider other options. As beautiful as the decoration and the location was, I struggled to get any sleep because of the constant wondering in the hallways and in the worst night, an hour of banging on the door and yelling by one of my neighboring guests.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Hello SoulSisterLondon,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our modern amenities and location in the trendy River North neighborhood of Chicago. As for the noise, I understand how important it is for travelers of all kinds to have a restful night, therefore I will look into the situation.

Thank you for your review. Have a nice day.
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The Godfrey hotel is beautiful and the beds are comfortable. However, those two features are the only things I could rate with high marks. The staff was pleasant but not responsive. I requested a refrigerator twice but it was never delivered. The same thing occurred with a colleague. The hallways were very noisy and the hotel lobby appeared to be over run with twenty somethings going to the rooftop bar that was really just a terrace. The bar was so loud it was difficult to dine without having to shout at one another. If you have a low credit limit on your credit card, prepare to have a hold placed for nearly $400 a day. Each morning breakfast was an adventure to see what would be forgotten or what they might be out of. Someone in my party ordered french toast but was told they didn't have syrup after the entrée arrived. I believe there are better places to stay closer to Michigan Avenue for the same price. One final note. A colleague checked into a room where the bed linens were soiled and the pillows full of mascara and makeup. There were also dirty socks in the closet. After numerous complaints and 24 hours the bedding was finally changed. We are wondering why house keeping didn't change it when they came to clean the first time.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business