“Comfortable and excellent staff at the Hyatt Place”

Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center
Ranked #24 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The staff was wonderful. I really enjoyed my stay. Every staff member from the front desk o the house keeping asked if I needed anything. They gave an excellent dinner recommendation for me to try Chicago deep dish pizza and made sure I knew it took 40 minutes to cook, so that I planned accordingly. It was easy to get the car from the lot by texting and the car arrived right out front of the hotel. Breakfast had a variety of hot and cold foods and opened up really early which helped my schedule.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center

Reviewed 20 April 2014

A hotel like this is long overdue in the Hyde Park area, and this one is ideally located, just steps from shops & restaurants and only 2 blocks from the Metra station and express buses to downtown Chicago. The room I had for a recent business trip was unusually spacious (large L-shaped sofa to sit on) with a very modern and super-clean bath (glassed-in stall shower was also nice and large). The staff seemed quite friendly and helpful on issues ranging from transport, to making change for a $10, to getting a cup of coffee after breakfast had finished. The free breakfast is impressive, with a tasty range of fresh hot and cold items -- definitely a cut above the kind of motel breakfast that is normally offered without charge. The pool is tiny, only for dipping, but the fitness room more than adequate (there is also a good gym across the street). No complaints whatsoever -- everything was as it should be.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ingleseitalianato
Reviewed 15 April 2014

As a lot of people come to find out, South Side in Chicago has a horrible reputation. Some of it is deserved, some not. However, staying at any hotels in the country and the world, I would be hard pressed to find another experience that would be close to staying at this hotel; everyone goes out of their way to be friendly, pleasant and helpful, at all times. This is, in my mind, what the hotel experience should be. The view is not the greatest, but it is a Hyatt Place that is better appointed than a lot of them, so I would highly suggest this place. If we go back again, we will stay here again, if we cannot get rooms on the Magnificent Mile at the Park Hyatt or Hyatt Regency.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Probably the best option near the university. Very comfortable hotel and they have a shuttle to the campus. Beds are good though I'd prefer them slightly harder. Facilities cannot be faulted. One gripe I have as a vegetarian - options at breakfast are rather limited if you don't eat meat.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Museum of Science and Industry and we were very pleased with our choice. For families looking for a nearby stay, the drive to the museum was about 4 minutes. I'd expect the walk to be about 20 minutes.

We've stayed in a number of hotels in the Chicago area and I was surprised by the large size of the room considering what we've come to expect. We chose a standard room which had two queen beds and a sofa sleeper. The sofa bed was a nice inclusion. It worked well for our three-year-old, although I must say it wasn't so comfortable I would have volunteered to sleep there in his place!

The beds were very comfortable, pillows were wonderful, and the room was very clean. The light-blocking blinds were fabulous, allowing the kids to sleep longer. The free WiFi worked well with the code we were given at check-in. The staff was exceptionally pleasant and the complimentary breakfast offered fresh fruit, muffins, toast, eggs, sausage, waffles, etc. We only stayed one night, so we didn't have an the opportunity to use the pool, but it looked inviting.

The only drawbacks were the valet fee (although common in Chicago) and the difficulty finding a suitable table at breakfast (clearly, we chose a busy time). There were a number of tables next to sofas and some counter-height chairs - not places I'd trust my toddler to eat. These are such minor points that they didn't negatively affect my impression of the hotel.

I would definitely stay again and recommend the hotel to other families!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2014

If you are looking for a great place to stay near the University of Chicago Medical Center, consider the Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center on Harper Avenue. It is located just a stone’s throw from the Medical Center, which can be reached by car via an easy drive through nice neighborhoods in less than ten minutes or, if you are staying more than one day, the hotel will provide door –to-door shuttle service to and from the hospital.

We found the hotel’s entire staff to provide excellent service.We were greeted curbside on our arrival and quickly checked into our room. Our car was parked in their secure underground garage. The cost of overnight parking was hefty, but it was about the going rate for parking in Chicago.

Our room was clean, fresh and “Hyatt modern” with a very comfortable bed and separate sitting area with couch, desk and chairs for work or relaxing. The free Internet service was fast and the T.V. had extensive programming. There was a very comfortable bar in the lobby, with beer, wine, a nice food menu and a very friendly wait staff. We enjoyed dinner at the hotel, but we were provided with a list of restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel, had we chosen to eat elsewhere. The exercise room was well equipped and their swimming pool was very comfortable. The complementary breakfast in the morning had a variety of hot and cold foods.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center, and we will make it our hotel of choice on return visits to the University of Chicago.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed three nights while attending a wedding at the University of Chicago. The staff was impressively helpful and professional from the housekeepers to the manager. The rooms were comfortable and clean. We utilized the shuttle service to travel in the Hyde Park area. It was great. If we ever visit this are again we will stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank linacwiz
Travellers also viewed these Chicago hotels
Kenwood
Downtown / The Loop
Hyatt Place Chicago/Downtown - The Loop
Near North Side
Hyatt Place Chicago / River North

Been to Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center? Share your experiences!