“On the high side of adequate”

Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center
Ranked #33 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed here for one night visiting family in Hyde Park. The hotel is quite new and they seem to still be ironing the kinks out. Valet service was spotty. However, the bed was fabulous, the room was large and comfortable, and we were given a quiet corner room. The complimentary breakfast included yogurt and granola as well as fresh fruit. It was mighty expensive for a hotel on the somewhat gritty side of Hyde Park, though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sk8lady

Reviewed 13 June 2014

...but no way to know as we were bumped. I made a reservation on September 15th for a June 13th arrival. Made the reservation through the Hyatt website, not a third party. Arrived at the hotel in the early afternoon and told that they had oversold and we could not have a room. We were "transferred" to another Hyatt several miles away.

To their credit they comped the room at the other Hyatt. But this has totally ruined our visit for our daughter's graduation from the University of Chicago and has led to enormous hassle in helping her move out of her dorm.

How they could oversell a hotel on what has to be one of the busiest days of the year is totally beyond me. I don't know what else I could have done. I made a reservation 9 months in advance. I used the hotel website. Don't think I had a discount rate. Was not a late arrival. I am a Gold Passport member but not elite. Guess that would have helped.

So this is probably a nice place and is conveniently located to UChicago and Hyde Park. But overselling the hotel on a day they are certain to have everyone show up (graduation) is inexcusable. One star.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Caminotraveler
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Hyatt Place. It is a welcome addition to Hyde Park for those visiting the University of Chicago! The hotel was very comfortable and is convenient to many shops and restaurants. It's also easy to walk to the lakefront, where there are running and biking trails. There is free wifi, and the free breakfast buffet is quite good. Valet parking is pretty pricey, but we were always able to find street parking a few blocks away. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I recent stayed at the Hyatt place for the third time for a business trip. The location is great, walking distance from many restaurants, shopping, a gym, yoga studio and about 100 feet from Starbucks. The hotel is new, clean and the staff very accommodating. This is a wonderful hotel, I will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed 2 nights early this year. We were visiting the U of Chicago Medical campus. My mother had cancer at the time and even though she was uncomfortable due to the pain and discomfort she was going through and the few hours of flying, once we got to this hotel, it was an oasis in the middle of a desert, that is how comfortable this place was.The rooms were excellent, full fridge, flat screen TV, big comfortable bathrooms, great beds and an accommodating sitting area. I can't say enough about the staff in this hotel. The staff was superb, outstanding customer service. There was a hot breakfast buffet every morning which it was great and they have a nice bar and sort of restaurant with great sandwiches and soups among other things. They provide free shuttle service to/from the hotel to the U of Chicago. Convenient location closed to restaurants and train station. Overall, awesome property.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Preventer77
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Excellent Hotel. I had a great moment in this hotel. Great staff and good service. Actually this is a small hotel but I was impressed with the service. It is far away from convention but with the train is fine.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Under R
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We were in the south side of Chicago for a wedding and we stayed for 2 nights in this hotel. The hotel was designed by Jeanne Gang and the flow of space and overall design was exceptional. The rooms were excellent with a full fridge and a lovely sitting area. The staff was superb - I called ahead and they made sure all of us who were staying in the hotel for the wedding had rooms on the same floor. The LA Fitness Center is directly behind the hotel. They arranged for me to swim without charge in their pool. The train into Chicago proper is two blocks from the hotel. The neighborhood is spiffy: GREAT juice bar around the corner and good little restaurant across the street although the hotel offers a fabulous restaurant (casual) itself. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation. Only complaint: no make up mirror (I need magnification!)

• Stayed: May 2014
Travellers also viewed these Chicago hotels
Kenwood
Near North Side
Hyatt Place Chicago / River North
Rogers Park
Hampton Inn Chicago North - Loyola Station

Been to Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center

Address: 5225 S Harper Ave, Chicago, IL 60615-4113
Region: United States > Illinois > Chicago > Hyde Park
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Shuttle Bus service Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #33 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Price Range: £113 - £317 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.