Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Jaslin Hotel(Chicago)
  • Fitness centre
All reviewsfree shuttlethe hyde park areashuttle servicemed centermuseum of science and industryvalet parkingfree breakfast isrestaurants and shopswhole foodssitting areathe hotel offerssofa bedrooms are largeexcellent hotelwithin walking distancecomfortable staygreat place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We visit Chicago several times a year and the Hyde Park area in particular since we have family there. Until this year, we always had to stay on Lake Shore Drive or downtown but now we have a place we will stay again and again. The Hyatt staff is very accommodating and friendly. Our King room was the cleanest hotel room I've ever been in. The bathroom was spotless. We had a few drinks in the lounge and surprisingly the prices were not outrageous as most hotel lounges in Chicago tend to be whether or not the service is great. The service at this lounge was outstanding. The complimentary breakfast was very good with a nice variety which I understand changes from one day to the next. We happened to be there on "breakfast sandwich day". Upgrades are continuing in this area with more shopping and restaurants being added. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt and will become regulars

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Having lived in Hyde Park 8 years ago, I returned and was surprised by the upscale developments in the area. This hotel is part of the new Harper Court Developments led by UChicago - the area appears very safe compared to years ago. There were police stationing at every block. There were many new chic restaurants nearby. Obviously the hotel is new so it is a plus, and there are free buses to campus once every 20-30mins or so. The bathroom is quite spacious with shower and everything standard and clean.

Back then the only relatively safe and better accomodations in the area was Ramada Inn, which was rather old and still in a sketchy area. We were recommended to stay in downtown. But now I think this is the best place to stay if you are in Hyde Park area.

The buffet breakfast is huge and fulfilling from the typical American affair of sausage muffins, fremch toasts, cereals etc

Now the drawbacks.

The hotel is facilities are very small - the pool was only a large tub and there were only a few running machines in the gym.

As a gold member, my partner used his points and booked the largest suite for a special occassion. But when we checked-in we were told the room was taken - not a good service indeed. Although we were offered a bottle of wine of choice, and the hotel room was quite spacious with a sofa area. Though don't expect any views as the building is a low-rise.

Gone are the old days when I didn't even dared to venture alone at night in that area and walk to Kimbark Square. Several restaurants like Pizza Capri (best authentic Italian in Hyde Park), Yellow Mellow, Giodarno are still there, but I am sad to see the Pancake House was moved to 47th Street, Ribs n Bibs is gone, along with several demolished, old buildings.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My family and I came down on a Sunday because I was having a procedure at the University of Chicago Medical Center on Monday -- think of it as a colonoscopy on steroids. That required the nasty prep so I got there early, camping out in the tiny lobby which was crowded and getting a little messy due to the breakfast bar (which looked quite good). They furnished me with some apple juice and said they would get me into my room early (around 1 p.m.). Ding: men's room was almost out of toilet paper. Took two requests and nearly an hour for that to be addressed.

Staff was very friendly and accommodating. An eclectic clientele in an eclectic neighborhood.

Two nice queen beds in our room, a large TV, plenty of outlets, recharging station bedside, sofa sleeper and a refrigerator (no microwave). Ding: the refrigerator didn't do a good job of getting and keeping things cold. The air conditioning worked almost too well -- got very cold in the room, even with the thermostat set at 77 degrees.

Our bathroom had a tub and shower with enough towels. Ding: shower was pretty wimpy with a chintzy shower head. This would be our main criticism. Next to that: a new hotel like this should have a guest laundry (even though there is a Laundromat across the street).

Wifi worked well. Lots and lots of DirectTV channels of nothing to watch on TV :).

The room passed my basic clean and everything works as it should test (although the shower head could be replaced with one that works better).

The valet parking was pricey and it took a bit longer to get our van than I liked.

I couldn't partake but my family liked the free breakfast. There were many restaurants in the neighborhood.

This is a new hotel and I hope that the owners keep up with the maintenance needs so it stays as fresh as it was when we stayed there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 6530bx4
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Centre in July. It was clean and the rooms were nicely designed and maintained. There was a great view of downtown. The location was very convenient with a variety of restaurants nearby (a10 and valois on the same block, and Kilwin's across the street, and Z&H on 57th), the Treasure Island grocery store 2 blocks down and the metra 2 blocks away as well.
The breakfast had good variety with healthy and fun items.
The pool was very accessible and it was salt water.
But what made our stay truly wonderful was the staff. The front desk staff were attentive, accommodating and welcoming. The lobby/breakfast area was frequently cleaned and well maintained. Housekeeping staff were very efficient and effective which was highly appreciated given the hotel's affiliation with the university medical centre. And our housekeeping staff also asked about our needs too. The place was truly cleaned too, and not just sprayed with some sort of odour spray.
If I have any reason to visit Chicago, I would stay with HP in HP for sure. Hope that they keep up the great work!

Room Tip: get one that gives you a view of the the downtown.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We booked a group of rooms for our wedding this past May at this location of Hyatt. The hotel staff was AMAZING! Briana (the manager I worked with) was very helpful and professional. ALL of our guests ended up staying at this hotel, by chance, and everyone was raving about how kind, helpful, and professional the team at Hyatt Place Chicago-South were. I am so grateful and would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone!!!!

Room Tip: The rooms are GREAT! And because this hotel is new, each room comes with a sleeper sofa.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple