“Loved this place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
maryland
“Loved this place”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

This was one of the best hyatt places we have ever stayed at. From the rooms to the staff everyone was great. The hotel is relatively new so everything was new, the rooms big, and the location was great. The hotel staff was incredibly helpful in everything we needed and was very friendly

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank tinyrucat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 20 August 2014

On Friday August 15, 2014, myself and a group of friends checked in to your hotel at the Hyde Park location. What was supposed to be a leisurely trip to Chicago turned into a nightmare due to unforeseen circumstances caused by one of your hotel staff whom we identified as Thom the night manger because he never disclosed who he was to us when he began to bang on our door in a room full of women after midnight on Saturday August 16th into Sunday August 17th. We had just arrived back to the hotel not even an hour before after spending the entire day visiting downtown. We were already very exhausted as we lay across our beds and taking showers planning to partake in our last night on the town. We were quickly distressed by a loud banging on the door telling us to “Open up this is Guest services, open up right now.” We were afraid because it was very unusual and as we looked out the peep hole to see a man hands folded looking very upset we were hesitant to open the door. He did not identify himself by name nor show any identification that he was actually a part of the hotel staff after we asked who it was at the door. He hastily returned downstairs at which time he called up to the room for the first time and angrily stated since we did not comply and open the door at his command that we had 20 minutes to pack and leave. This left us very distraught and unable to process why our stay was being terminated. Suddenly three ladies appeared at the door and as we calmly explained the situation they then informed us of who he was and that everything was okay and they had gotten some noise complaints (although we had been absent from our room since 10am that morning after breakfast). Nonetheless, we apologized to diffuse the situation and moments later we were met yet again with a phone call from Thom stating we had to leave the premises. He was very rude and when we departed downstairs to leave the hotel he could never look us in the eye, he never looked up from the computer or the phone to explain the situation. I have worked in the hotel industry for years and I know proper protocol would have been to call 1st up to a room for a noise disturbance with a warning and make the patrons aware of the situation. His behavior and attitude was appalling and less than ethical with how he handled the situation, leaving four women outside at 1am in the morning to find a hotel in Chicago which we would check out of just hours later.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank GreenNunn
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Thirty-forty minutes from O'Hare airport via taxi. So convenient with ability to pay by credit card and add your tip. Nice and modern lobby. Check-in was not until 3pm but our rooms were ready at 12noon! (Two standard rooms on 6th floor) for me and three boys. My oldest one is visiting his #1 choice college - University of Chicago. The rooms were spacious, with new furnishings (so feng Shui !) , a wide window view of the vicinity with double shade blinds for privacy and light blocking. So clean and not smelling like an old hotel. A nice size tv screen for the teens to watch their favorite shows, a multiple outlet intelligently placed and a wifi connection with acceptable speed!

Bathroom : you know how we bring all our toiletries for make-up, shampoos, tooth brushes and there never seem to be enough room to place these items ? Well, this bathroom was thoughtfully designed in such that there's a two-level shelf to line up my stuff and another shelf under the sink to rest the hair dryer and hot iron after use, plenty of Counter space to not clutter anything! I approved this style and convenience! Thank you!

Staff were very attentive and competent. Shuttle service was a nice bonus to drop and pick us up to and from University of Chicago. Driver very quiet but polite and friendly. I recommend giving nice tips !

Hot breakfast was added bonus ! Just come down between 6am to 9am and you can have a decent coffee, or a choice of tazzo tea or fresh orange juice , Tomatoe juice, pineapple or cold milk. Fresh fruits with cottage cheese and yogurt. A warm egg/mushroon/cheese on an English muffin, a choice of toast and dounuts(I strongly dodge that one but got my 12yo's attention in no time! ). There's hot oatmeal and boxes of cereal - yes, frosted flakes too!

Want a cookie or those tempting cheesecake displayed in the counter on your way to your room from that 4hour school visit? Just put it in your room charge- that's what my sweet-toothed 15yo did after he went down to the gym and pool. Gym and pool was adequate. They have the basic cardio machine, some weights and yoga matts, that's all you really need. The pool was small but warm and soothing to splash around especially if you happen to be there all by yourselves then you can push and splash around with your kids and then you are a kid again ! Laugh out loud, good for the lungs !

What a great deal at this room rate (UChicago rate - yes, make sure you ask for it , a good 30-40 dollars less than regular reservation rate) . So reasonable with all the added benefits of shuttle service and free hot breakfast!

Downtown . The soft-spoken clerk, (Rion?) at the front desk gave us the best advice: we wanted to go visit downtown since this is our first time in Chicago. We wanted to go to the Navy pier, millineum park, the art institute, etc. but want to get there fast and not use up the time commuting. So the best advise was simply to take a taxi ! There's four of us. Add the fare for bus or train and play the waiting game and figure out the map game - forget it, I'm on vacation ! So we never got the chance to experience public transportation but no regrets. The taxi drivers were very friendly and helpful . Just give them plenty of tips!

We are definitely coming back to this hotel with great anticipation and now I know just what pack !!!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank J C
Sacramento
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel one night before I had an interview at the University of Chicago. It looked like a new hotel in a neighborhood that was slowing improving. The University had bought up a lot of properties along the street, cleaned them up, and installed security guards on several street corners. New restaurants were popping up and life was returning to the area.

I checked in and went to my room on the 4th floor. Room was large with a large sectional couch (nice touch). For those who have other guests with them, the couch turns into a hide-a-bed. King size bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was nicely appointed. My only criticism for the bathroom was that there was not body lotion. I am not sure if housekeeping forgot or Hyatt stopped offering lotion. Not a big deal, but I was expecting to have it in the room.

Lobby was very nice...especially the breakfast offered in the morning. Had some great oatmeal and fruit. One of the better hotel breakfasts I have had in a long time.

My only other criticism was that I was woken up by my neighbors at 3:00 a.m. I had a room that had a connecting door to the next room. My neighbors in the connecting room obviously had to get up early (to catch a flight???) and were yelling and laughing as they were getting ready. I called the lobby and they called my neighbors to ask them to quiet down (which they did). My one suggestion for the management would be to look into installing some type of material in between or under the doors that connect rooms together. I don't blame my neighbors for having to get up early...the hotel should better insulate the doors between the rooms.

Other than the incident in the morning, I had a nice experience with the hotel and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Try getting a room that does not connect to another room if you are traveling by yourself. You can...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Atlanta
Reviewed 11 August 2014

One of the very best hotels we have ever stayed at! The staff at this hotel is truly over the top! We stayed here last winter for several weeks on a business trip. Actually stayed there several times. Hats off to the management there and all the wonderful staff, Samantha, Kevin, and Dwight to name a few.

Management held a brief meeting every morning with the staff to discuss the events of the day and everyone was smiling, full of energy, and charged for the day. Exceptional people for an exceptional place!

On one occasion, I was going to drive into the city of Chicago to pick up a relative who was traveling in from O’Hare Airport on the train. It was my first time to drive into the city, much less into the city with all the snow. Samantha actually helped me with the street address of where the train station would be up on the street in the city. She actually helped us with which train, what stop and then the address for me to pop into my GPS. And when we arrived back at the hotel, greeted us with a warm smile and asked my relative if they had a nice train ride. Just amazing!

Rooms were always very clean, housekeeping truly on top of their game and ever so friendly. Nice hot breakfast every morning. Good variety and the chef always checking with the guests to make sure everything was all good and restocking areas to accomodate the guests. Great way to start the day!

Valet parking was wonderful and so very fast! Simply text your number to them and they will text back the amount of time for delivery. This was our first time in Chicago for what they say was an exceptionally cold winter; honestly don’t think we have ever seen that much snow in our lifetimes. What a treat to have the car delivered to us right in front of the hotel within minutes, all dry and warming.

The shuttle service is yet another great asset for this hotel. My husband’s client was at UCMC, just blocks away. He used the shuttle service every day. These guys were ever so prompt and helpful. During our stay, many guests complimented this department and their helpfulness.

Plenty of great places to eat and shop around the hotel. Wonderful juice bar just around the corner. And a movie theater and chocolate shop just across the street.

The lobby of this hotel has such a good feel. Soft, upbeat music, the fireplace, and the friendliest people in town! What a great place, the Hyatt Place! Looking forward to staying here again someday!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Travelor42
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We visit Chicago several times a year and the Hyde Park area in particular since we have family there. Until this year, we always had to stay on Lake Shore Drive or downtown but now we have a place we will stay again and again. The Hyatt staff is very accommodating and friendly. Our King room was the cleanest hotel room I've ever been in. The bathroom was spotless. We had a few drinks in the lounge and surprisingly the prices were not outrageous as most hotel lounges in Chicago tend to be whether or not the service is great. The service at this lounge was outstanding. The complimentary breakfast was very good with a nice variety which I understand changes from one day to the next. We happened to be there on "breakfast sandwich day". Upgrades are continuing in this area with more shopping and restaurants being added. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt and will become regulars

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Having lived in Hyde Park 8 years ago, I returned and was surprised by the upscale developments in the area. This hotel is part of the new Harper Court Developments led by UChicago - the area appears very safe compared to years ago. There were police stationing at every block. There were many new chic restaurants nearby. Obviously the hotel is new so it is a plus, and there are free buses to campus once every 20-30mins or so. The bathroom is quite spacious with shower and everything standard and clean.

Back then the only relatively safe and better accomodations in the area was Ramada Inn, which was rather old and still in a sketchy area. We were recommended to stay in downtown. But now I think this is the best place to stay if you are in Hyde Park area.

The buffet breakfast is huge and fulfilling from the typical American affair of sausage muffins, fremch toasts, cereals etc

Now the drawbacks.

The hotel is facilities are very small - the pool was only a large tub and there were only a few running machines in the gym.

As a gold member, my partner used his points and booked the largest suite for a special occassion. But when we checked-in we were told the room was taken - not a good service indeed. Although we were offered a bottle of wine of choice, and the hotel room was quite spacious with a sofa area. Though don't expect any views as the building is a low-rise.

Gone are the old days when I didn't even dared to venture alone at night in that area and walk to Kimbark Square. Several restaurants like Pizza Capri (best authentic Italian in Hyde Park), Yellow Mellow, Giodarno are still there, but I am sad to see the Pancake House was moved to 47th Street, Ribs n Bibs is gone, along with several demolished, old buildings.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple