Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center
Ranked #28 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Really great”
Reviewed 4 September 2014

I was very happy with my stay here. The room was much bigger than I expected for the price, and was very clean. The complimentary breakfast was also more impressive than most I've had.

The cons: the shower was incredibly loud in the room. We had to adjust the tv volume when someone was taking a shower in order to hear it. Also, I slept on the pull-out couch, and it was not at all comfortable. I think I would've been better off just sleeping on the couch without pulling it into a bed.

• Stayed September 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I stayed in this Hotel for a couple of nights. The room was great and clean. The staff very friendly and nice. The problem I have is that for the price, this hotel has no amenities. If you have a car you have to valet at $35 a day. It does not have a restaurant so you have to go outside the facility, but you do have several choices at walking distance. Breakfast was included, but the seating is uncomfortable and it gets crowded. This Hotel services the medical facilities and maybe that is why there is not much competition around. Except for the location unless I have to I probably will not be back. Again Kudos for the Staff and rooms.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Very nice place, large rooms with great decor, wonderful customer service, and very convenient for University of Chicago visits. Comfy beds. They were accommodating of my severe pet allergy and put me on a pet-free floor. The hotel proved to be fine for my asthma as well as my very bad fragrance and dust allergies. The only downside I would give is that their food is all pre-boxed and pre-assembled, so it's not the freshest and you can't order with any alterations. For example, all salad dressings come in packets -- not great for food allergies.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
maryland
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

This was one of the best hyatt places we have ever stayed at. From the rooms to the staff everyone was great. The hotel is relatively new so everything was new, the rooms big, and the location was great. The hotel staff was incredibly helpful in everything we needed and was very friendly

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank tinyrucat
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 20 August 2014

On Friday August 15, 2014, myself and a group of friends checked in to your hotel at the Hyde Park location. What was supposed to be a leisurely trip to Chicago turned into a nightmare due to unforeseen circumstances caused by one of your hotel staff whom we identified as Thom the night manger because he never disclosed who he was to us when he began to bang on our door in a room full of women after midnight on Saturday August 16th into Sunday August 17th. We had just arrived back to the hotel not even an hour before after spending the entire day visiting downtown. We were already very exhausted as we lay across our beds and taking showers planning to partake in our last night on the town. We were quickly distressed by a loud banging on the door telling us to “Open up this is Guest services, open up right now.” We were afraid because it was very unusual and as we looked out the peep hole to see a man hands folded looking very upset we were hesitant to open the door. He did not identify himself by name nor show any identification that he was actually a part of the hotel staff after we asked who it was at the door. He hastily returned downstairs at which time he called up to the room for the first time and angrily stated since we did not comply and open the door at his command that we had 20 minutes to pack and leave. This left us very distraught and unable to process why our stay was being terminated. Suddenly three ladies appeared at the door and as we calmly explained the situation they then informed us of who he was and that everything was okay and they had gotten some noise complaints (although we had been absent from our room since 10am that morning after breakfast). Nonetheless, we apologized to diffuse the situation and moments later we were met yet again with a phone call from Thom stating we had to leave the premises. He was very rude and when we departed downstairs to leave the hotel he could never look us in the eye, he never looked up from the computer or the phone to explain the situation. I have worked in the hotel industry for years and I know proper protocol would have been to call 1st up to a room for a noise disturbance with a warning and make the patrons aware of the situation. His behavior and attitude was appalling and less than ethical with how he handled the situation, leaving four women outside at 1am in the morning to find a hotel in Chicago which we would check out of just hours later.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank GreenNunn
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Thirty-forty minutes from O'Hare airport via taxi. So convenient with ability to pay by credit card and add your tip. Nice and modern lobby. Check-in was not until 3pm but our rooms were ready at 12noon! (Two standard rooms on 6th floor) for me and three boys. My oldest one is visiting his #1 choice college - University of Chicago. The rooms were spacious, with new furnishings (so feng Shui !) , a wide window view of the vicinity with double shade blinds for privacy and light blocking. So clean and not smelling like an old hotel. A nice size tv screen for the teens to watch their favorite shows, a multiple outlet intelligently placed and a wifi connection with acceptable speed!

Bathroom : you know how we bring all our toiletries for make-up, shampoos, tooth brushes and there never seem to be enough room to place these items ? Well, this bathroom was thoughtfully designed in such that there's a two-level shelf to line up my stuff and another shelf under the sink to rest the hair dryer and hot iron after use, plenty of Counter space to not clutter anything! I approved this style and convenience! Thank you!

Staff were very attentive and competent. Shuttle service was a nice bonus to drop and pick us up to and from University of Chicago. Driver very quiet but polite and friendly. I recommend giving nice tips !

Hot breakfast was added bonus ! Just come down between 6am to 9am and you can have a decent coffee, or a choice of tazzo tea or fresh orange juice , Tomatoe juice, pineapple or cold milk. Fresh fruits with cottage cheese and yogurt. A warm egg/mushroon/cheese on an English muffin, a choice of toast and dounuts(I strongly dodge that one but got my 12yo's attention in no time! ). There's hot oatmeal and boxes of cereal - yes, frosted flakes too!

Want a cookie or those tempting cheesecake displayed in the counter on your way to your room from that 4hour school visit? Just put it in your room charge- that's what my sweet-toothed 15yo did after he went down to the gym and pool. Gym and pool was adequate. They have the basic cardio machine, some weights and yoga matts, that's all you really need. The pool was small but warm and soothing to splash around especially if you happen to be there all by yourselves then you can push and splash around with your kids and then you are a kid again ! Laugh out loud, good for the lungs !

What a great deal at this room rate (UChicago rate - yes, make sure you ask for it , a good 30-40 dollars less than regular reservation rate) . So reasonable with all the added benefits of shuttle service and free hot breakfast!

Downtown . The soft-spoken clerk, (Rion?) at the front desk gave us the best advice: we wanted to go visit downtown since this is our first time in Chicago. We wanted to go to the Navy pier, millineum park, the art institute, etc. but want to get there fast and not use up the time commuting. So the best advise was simply to take a taxi ! There's four of us. Add the fare for bus or train and play the waiting game and figure out the map game - forget it, I'm on vacation ! So we never got the chance to experience public transportation but no regrets. The taxi drivers were very friendly and helpful . Just give them plenty of tips!

We are definitely coming back to this hotel with great anticipation and now I know just what pack !!!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank J C
Sacramento
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel one night before I had an interview at the University of Chicago. It looked like a new hotel in a neighborhood that was slowing improving. The University had bought up a lot of properties along the street, cleaned them up, and installed security guards on several street corners. New restaurants were popping up and life was returning to the area.

I checked in and went to my room on the 4th floor. Room was large with a large sectional couch (nice touch). For those who have other guests with them, the couch turns into a hide-a-bed. King size bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was nicely appointed. My only criticism for the bathroom was that there was not body lotion. I am not sure if housekeeping forgot or Hyatt stopped offering lotion. Not a big deal, but I was expecting to have it in the room.

Lobby was very nice...especially the breakfast offered in the morning. Had some great oatmeal and fruit. One of the better hotel breakfasts I have had in a long time.

My only other criticism was that I was woken up by my neighbors at 3:00 a.m. I had a room that had a connecting door to the next room. My neighbors in the connecting room obviously had to get up early (to catch a flight???) and were yelling and laughing as they were getting ready. I called the lobby and they called my neighbors to ask them to quiet down (which they did). My one suggestion for the management would be to look into installing some type of material in between or under the doors that connect rooms together. I don't blame my neighbors for having to get up early...the hotel should better insulate the doors between the rooms.

Other than the incident in the morning, I had a nice experience with the hotel and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Try getting a room that does not connect to another room if you are traveling by yourself. You can...