“Don't bother”

Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Reviewed 4 January 2012

After an afternoon at the Field Museum my partner and I decided that Chinese sounded good. We had walked past Yang numerous times after taking the Red Line to Roosevelt, so we decided to give it a try. BIG mistake.

I should preface this by saying I am NOT a picky eater. We started with Egg Rolls. Although they looked a bit odd, the presentation was nice, served in a boat-shaped dish with the sweet and sour sauce in the "bow," but one bite and I was puzzled. I had never had an egg roll that had a mushy wrapper. The outside was crisp but then it quickly turned doughy, and the filling had absolutely no flavor. We were starved so we ate them, but we were ready for the main course.

My partner orded a vegetable chow fun. After a couple of bites he was done. The noodle was very unappetizing and chewy and the dish had no flavor. I had ordered the Combination Kow, which appeared to be one of their specialties, but I just could not eat it. The flavor of the sauce was unlike anything I had ever had in a Chinese restaurant, and I don't mean that in a good way. It was much like a really bad canned gravy with an odd flavor. The beef, shrimp and chicken did not look freshly made, all tasted the same, and the entire dish was really inedible. The best part of the meal by far was the canned diet Coke. The server came by to check on us and asked how things were. I told her I was not able to eat the food, but there was no attempt to make the experience right. I was not offered anything else and we were billed for the full amount. The bill was over $35, and we left there hungry.

I was hoping that this meal would be the start of repeated visits to this retaurant and would be a new "find' for us in Chicago, but I would NEVER eat here again. My suggestion is that they change their name from "Yang" to "Yuck!'

1  Thank RobBN

Reviewed 26 February 2011

I stumbled upon this place last night whle looking for a quick bite to eat. Not the nicest of neighborhoods, but convenient to the El and S. Michigan. I thought their food was good, and the people friendly enough. I would recommend this place for takeout or you can sit and warm up in their small but clean and orderly dining area. I can tell you it was a LOT cleaner than most Chinese restaurants I've ever been too, and their business was swift. Don't believe everything you read!

Reviewed 12 November 2008

This place is typical rude Asian place...where the people are so cheap who own it and the food and service is medicore at best. Disgusting is a word that comes to mind...nothing tastes good...China town is really close go there