“Cape Cod Room -- a classic since 1933”
Review of The Cape Cod Room

The Cape Cod Room
Ranked #924 of 9,899 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$25 - US$75
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Magnificent Mile
Cross street: Michigan Avenue & Lakeshore Drive
Transit: CTA Train - Red line, Chicago stop CTA buses 145, 146, 147, 151
Description: The Cape Cod, a much honored seafood restaurant, boasts of fresh seafood from the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, from the lakes and freshwater streams. It has been consistently named as one of America's finest dining spots since opening in 1933. Zagat's consumer survey also picked the Cape Cod as a top hotel restaurant. It was recently inducted by Nation's Restaurant News into the Fine Dining Hall of Fame. Located on the arcade level, the cozy restaurant, established in 1933 is decked with nautical paraphernalia. Nautical themed, wooden beams, hanging copper pots and stuffed sailfish adorn the room, walls and ceiling of this immensely popular restaurant. Reservations are very strongly recommended.
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We used to make a Saturday date for lunch at the Cape Cod Room in Chicago's Drake Hotel. My favorite was scrod, which you couldn't get at virtually any other restaurant in the city. It was wonderful...the food, the service, the atmosphere, the tradition, the location. Then scrod became an endangered species and Cape Cod took it off the menu. So we stopped going. Then Cape Cod stopped serving Saturday lunch. I don't think the two incidents were linked. But I was delightfully surprised when I asked my wife where she wanted to go to celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary. "Cape Cod Room" she said immediately. Frankly, of all the restaurants in Chicago, I never dreamed she would choose that one. It has been so long since we have dined there, not since 2002. But back we went to celebrate our 38th. What a wonderful occasion. No scrod. But the Dover sole that was prepared tableside was the largest and tastiest fish I have had, as magnificent as it was pricey, the most expensive ($64) on the menu. But well worth it. My wife enjoyed her bay scallops. The carrots, green beans and whipped potato were terrific, too. Of course, the Cape Cod's signature Bookbinder soup kicked off the whole meal in a traditional fashion. And how about the atmosphere. The Cape Cod Room opened in 1933 in one of Chicago's most majestic hotels. Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe cared their initials in the bar. They're still there for all to view. The service staff are "lifers," each with 30 to 40 years of experience. The menu has lots of other treats, including whitefish saltimbocca and salmon and steaks and chops and oysters Rockefeller. For whatever reason, we were told that the Cape Cod has lost some of its popularity since 9/11. We had a 6 o'clock reservation and had the place almost to ourselves, except for a lively bar crowd. But the no-frills, all class Cape Cod Room is proof that old never gets old when it retains its long-time reputation for five-star food and service.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

The food was delicious. I had the strawberry french toast. However, $30 for the buffet that didn't include booze was a bit steep. Still, the location inside our hotel, The Drake, was very convenient.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

The Drake Hotel is the perfect location for the Cape Cod Room. It is older, traditional and no frills. If you book early for 5:30-6, you must may have the entire restaurant to yourselves. Cocktails were great and my Manhatten had cognac soaked cherries. I had oysters rockafeller and the Dover Sole. I bet our waiter, a jolly older man, has been there for over 50 years. He is not grouchy but a friendly man with a good joke for any occasion. Wines ranged from oaky Chardonnay to grassy pinot gris. Place is great for anniversaries, job raises, graduations, etc. Any of the seafood entees were great. You get 1000 points on Open Table for this place. I sincerely approve and recommend it.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We went there just because. It was my birthday. The food was very good, service was excellent. It was quiet, not to crowded.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Sit at a window and see a beautiful view of lake shore drive and watch the snow fall. Service was ok just ok.I had the tuna which was not sliced just a big hunk put on the plate, I never had tuna served like that. It would have looked so much better is it was sliced and arranged neatly. The taste made up for the plating. its dark and wooded very old and rustic inside. Nice place to sit at the bar and have a drink and check out the hotel its worth the trip. I would go back.

1  Thank kimmykat204