“Don't Expect Too Much” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't Expect Too Much”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel has a long way to go until it delivers what Thompson guests expect.
I called ahead to check the status of the hotel as I knew it had just opened. I was assured that despite the restaurant not being opened everything else was operational and I would be pleased with my experience. This is not the case.
Staff are very hit and miss. We checked in and it was a bitter Chicago day with rain and snow. We asked for,the hotel car to take us to the shops but it was not available at all that day.
We went downstairs that night to get concierge recommendations but the concierge had finished for the day. (7.30pm!)
We were told on check in that the hotel bar wasn't open yet but as compensation there was a complimentary bottle of water each in our mini bar (but only one - any more and we would be charged!). That didn't impress us like I think they thought it would!!
We are in a junior suite. Rooms are nice but still not all there. Paper cups, mini bar empty except for the two bottles of water.
Fitness center is OK but feels like equipment has just been thrown into the room.
For me hotel stays are about the whole experience. Average experiences with staff and lack of full service leaves me disappointed
Don't pay top dollar here it's a long way from what you expect.

Room Tip: Corner junior suite is nice.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Steve S, General Manager at Thompson Chicago, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear JoB333 -
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I understand your frustrations and would like to assure you that you did not experience our standard level of customer service. We take guest feedback very seriously and will be looking into those issues as well as sharing them with the team in order to improve.

I am thankful that you did rank our Location, Sleep Quality, Rooms and Cleanliness with high Marks. I hope you will stay with us again in the future and give us another chance to win you over completely. If you would like to discuss anything further or if I can ever be of any assistance, please feel free to reach out to me personally. I am confident that if you choose to stay with us again that our team will focused to provide you with a much more favorable visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We booked this hotel on a discount site and received a great rate. The staff were excellent and the rooms were modern and clean. I would recommend this hotel. The "rack rate" as quoted to another guest seemed very high compared to what we paid, but I anticipate that as this hotel becomes more well known it will command a high price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Shaker Heights, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

This is just the type of place I love. Not too big, brand new, high end rooms, good location and great, friendly service. They are newly remodeled and the restaurant and bar is not open yet but the location makes up for it. Everything you need is steps away. I will be back.

Stayed November 2013
hudson valley, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I found the staff at the Thompson to be very professional and accommodating. My room was clean and the bed was quite comfortable. The location was ideal for my visit. I will stay here when visiting Chicago.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank hulal
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

I made my second trip in a week to Chicago In a week and stayed at the Thompson on Bellevue. They all knew my name the second I stepped out of the cab and the service couldn't have been better. They room service is in full swing and the restaurant is opening shortly, but every time I called the front desk I got a 5 star response. I'd highly recommend you check this boutique out.

Room Tip: I enjoyed being in the 08 stack because its on the corner and gives you a giant bathroom and three d...
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Visited the Thompson Chicago after a long wait until the upgrade was finished! More than words could say about this hallmark hotel! From the moment you arrive, and the the outstanding staff greets you, to the excellence you find when you enter your room---THIS IS IT!! Cannot wait until the restaurant opens in December! A safe, secure, comfortable place to park after holiday shopping!

Room Tip: The Thompson offers rooms with "Family Friendly" artwork, if that is what you are looking...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have stayed at the Thompson Chicago twice now. The property is a gorgeous update of an older hotel, but you would never know that it isn't brand new. It is fantastic!

The hotel's location is wonderful. It is situation among Chicago's most diverse restaurants. The Tavern on Rush is just steps from the front door, as is Gibson's. Both are Chicago legends.

The front desk staff are friendly and always say hello.

I will be back!

Room Tip: The hotel doesn't have a "view" of much. It is in Chicago's miracle mile/gold coa...
1 Thank Bullitt_Fitzhugh