“Great weekend stay”

Ranked #5 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Miami Shores, Florida
“Great weekend stay”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Gorgeous lobby, incredibly comfy beds, nice and helpful bell staff, and a crazy cool concierge M.Roberts who hooked us up with a res at a newly Michelin'd rest (North Pond). Definitely would stay again. CHEERS!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lake Villa, Illinois
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The rooms in this hotel are all brand new and very and well decorated. My wife and I were very impressed with the hotel staff; they were welcoming, polite and always there to assist us. The check in was quick and we were immediately helped to our room with our luggage. The Restaurant and bar is due to open early December that will add the finishing touch to an awesome hotel.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Thompson Chicago for three nights. We couldn't have been happier or asked for a better hotel. The front desk staff and other hotel staff were always attentive to our needs. Every time we had a question for the staff everyone we asked was always quick to answer our questions in a friendly manner.

We thought the hotel was in an excellent location at the northern end of downtown Chicago. The hotel is close to world-class shopping as well as a variety of dining options. There were always cabs readily available and the hotel is close to CTA bus and train stops.

The room itself was a decent size. The television was a new HDTV but the real treasure of the room was the shower. The shower was the largest shower I have ever seen in a standard hotel room. The shower head was the type that hangs down from the ceiling. There was also a hand-held shower head if this was needed and/or desired. We both thought taking a shower was very refreshing.

I would definitely recommend the Thompson Chicago and hope that we stay there on a future visit to the Windy City.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Seattle
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Great new hotel. The rooms are beautiful and the location is great. It's not 100% done yet which is the only reason I didn't give it 5. There was no restaurant/bar and the mini fridge is empty. So there is definitely some improvements to be made, but they are new and only been open a couple of months so I will give them a break. I will warn people that parking is $58 a night. Kind of pricey even more so considering that it was the one frustration that I had with the place. When I arrived there was no space for me to pull over to valet my car. I had to circle until there was a spot. There also wasn't a person out front when I got there (late) to even ask where I could go. Then they have a text system to get your car, but I still ended up waiting longer than their suggested 15 minutes until my car was down. For that kind of price you had better make sure the service for the car is excellent. Again they are new so I will cut them slack, but all & all I would stay there again and it really is a beautiful space.

Room Tip: Avoid parking if at all possible.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank igodoh
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel has a long way to go until it delivers what Thompson guests expect.
I called ahead to check the status of the hotel as I knew it had just opened. I was assured that despite the restaurant not being opened everything else was operational and I would be pleased with my experience. This is not the case.
Staff are very hit and miss. We checked in and it was a bitter Chicago day with rain and snow. We asked for,the hotel car to take us to the shops but it was not available at all that day.
We went downstairs that night to get concierge recommendations but the concierge had finished for the day. (7.30pm!)
We were told on check in that the hotel bar wasn't open yet but as compensation there was a complimentary bottle of water each in our mini bar (but only one - any more and we would be charged!). That didn't impress us like I think they thought it would!!
We are in a junior suite. Rooms are nice but still not all there. Paper cups, mini bar empty except for the two bottles of water.
Fitness center is OK but feels like equipment has just been thrown into the room.
For me hotel stays are about the whole experience. Average experiences with staff and lack of full service leaves me disappointed
Don't pay top dollar here it's a long way from what you expect.

Room Tip: Corner junior suite is nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Steve S, General Manager at Thompson Chicago, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear JoB333 -
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I understand your frustrations and would like to assure you that you did not experience our standard level of customer service. We take guest feedback very seriously and will be looking into those issues as well as sharing them with the team in order to improve.

I am thankful that you did rank our Location, Sleep Quality, Rooms and Cleanliness with high Marks. I hope you will stay with us again in the future and give us another chance to win you over completely. If you would like to discuss anything further or if I can ever be of any assistance, please feel free to reach out to me personally. I am confident that if you choose to stay with us again that our team will focused to provide you with a much more favorable visit.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We booked this hotel on a discount site and received a great rate. The staff were excellent and the rooms were modern and clean. I would recommend this hotel. The "rack rate" as quoted to another guest seemed very high compared to what we paid, but I anticipate that as this hotel becomes more well known it will command a high price.

Shaker Heights, Ohio
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

This is just the type of place I love. Not too big, brand new, high end rooms, good location and great, friendly service. They are newly remodeled and the restaurant and bar is not open yet but the location makes up for it. Everything you need is steps away. I will be back.

Stayed November 2013