Thompson Chicago, a Thompson Hotel
US$678
US$614
  • Room Service
Central Loop Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$664
US$508
  • Restaurant
Club Quarters Hotel, Central Loop(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$543
US$508
  • Restaurant
The Talbott Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$730
US$692
US$832
Hotelpower.com
2,343 results
All reviewsnico osteriathe original pancake housethe gold coasttavern on rushgreat locationcorner kingoak streetrush streetrain showerwalk in showerboutique hotelthe magnificent milewithin walking distancehotel baramazing hotelrestaurants and shoppinggreat shopping
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed 5 days at this wonderful hotel.
Staff was extremely helpful and polite.

Wireless for free!

Beds are the best.. I thought that my own bed was the best.. I was wrong..Thompson Hotel has the best beds !

Beautiful design, clean, fresh.

Location is perfect, close to everything the city has to offer.

Thank you.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife and I recently celebrated our 40th Wedding Anniversary by going for dinner and Second City show in Chicago. At the last minute we decided to stay overnight as well so we began our search for available (and affordable) hotels. Being an avid Groupon user I first checked to see what was available and found the Thompson Chicago which we had never heard of before. The deal was pretty good so I called the hotel reservations. The first person I spoke with was very unsure of the information she was providing and was unaware of the Groupon offer until I explained it to her. Satisfied that the hotel location and price were in our range I purchased the Groupon and made the Groupon reservation which included a corner king room and valet parking.

We had read on Trip Advisor that the hotel had been recently renovated but were surprised to find out that it had just reopened in October. At the front desk they were unable to find our reservation so I had to scramble to find the confirming email on my Blackberry. Not a big deal as the Manager was quickly involved and got us our room. The hotel used to be called the Sutton Place and the new owners took a year to renovate the hotel from top to bottom. Our 10th floor corner room was spacious and very modern with a unique curved window view of Rush Street. Amenities were nice with two large flat screen TVS and a half moon couch and coffee table in the sitting room which was separated from the bedroom by a divider. Only complaint about the room was no coffee maker (had to go to the lobby for coffee (no coffee cup lids made the return journey somewhat hazardous) and no glass ware(only paper cups).Very unique and modern room lighting and bathroom.

The hotel is so new that the restaurant was not yet completed so we went directly across the street to the Original Pancake House for breakfast. Overall we really liked the location ,modern amenities and spacious room. We will definitely stay there again (if a Groupon is available!)

Room Tip: Ask for a Corner Room. Spacious with a great view of the cityscape!
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I am not one to gush about hotels. Usually I am totally the opposite. This hotel opened in October 13 and still has teething problems that are being resolved every day, but I would have to say that the title of my review simply does not do this hotel justice. There is a lot of rhetoric on the subject of customer service but I assure you that this boutique hotel in downtown Chicago will not disappoint. From the exceptional staff on the door, Eric, Stuart, and ambassadors like Gary Sykes this hotel punches way above its weight. Come on! How often could you name the guys on the door? This place is exceptional. On front desk Imran who was not simply courteous, but informed and insatiable in his desire for guests to enjoy their stay. I even had the pleasure of watching him in action with other guests and saw that my exceptional treatment was not reserved for registration.

The design of the hotel is stunning courtesy of Getty Design and the selection of materials is stunning and welcoming. As Chicago starts to feel the first blasts of Winter, the entrance, with its open fire, is warm and welcoming.

The opening of the new restaurant Nico will be a welcome addition to the hotel, but the situation of the hotel makes it an ideal location for shopping, sightseeing and fine dining. All of the major stores and brands are within a short distance of the hotel making it an ideal location for business or pleasure.

Now then, the rooms! Spacious, immaculate and with everything you could possibly need. A huge walk in shower, sumptuous linens, and details in fixtures and fittings that are beyond the norm. Ok, I have stayed in hotels that cost three times the rate of this one, but I have never gone into print for any of them. Hence the reason I am spending time doing this. The hotel and its people are exceptional. I will probably regret this review as I will find it impossible to get a room here in future. Please make sure that there is always a room for me as I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Chicago.........and thats saying something when all of the major brands are nearby. Thank you to all of the staff and to the owners for creating such a wonderful experience. Your people are a credit to you.

Room Tip: Trust the front desk. I had 2012 which was very comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed three nights at The Thompson and could not have been more pleased. The hotel was still under construction at that time so the restaurant and bar areas were closed, but that didn’t stop the staff from going out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our time there.

The hotel is located at the corner of North Rush and East Bellevue Place in the Gold Coast area. This is a dynamic area filled with shopping, dining and nightlife. Several bellmen greeted us at the front door upon arrival, helped us with our bags and valet parked our car. We felt welcomed right away.

Check-in was a breeze. The receptionist even came around to the front of the desk to welcome us and give us our keys. Wow! And I wasn’t made to feel second-class because I purchased the stay at a discount, “pay up-front then see the hotel” website. In the past I’ve been given a less desirable room because of this, but we were on the 21st floor looking south over North Rush street. A great view especially at night!

Our room was a standard size King, with modern furnishings. Not too modern though. And very clean. I could tell the housekeeping staff takes pride in what they do. I was a little disappointed in the plastic cups in the room hoping instead for glass, but maybe that’s simply a factor of the hotel working out some kinks. Free Wi-Fi worked great, television selection and reception was awesome (some hotels, surprisingly, have great TVs but lousy reception). It has a large, walk-in shower and modern – well coordinated - bathroom furnishings. No bathtub. And the room was quiet. I commented to my wife that I didn’t hear any doors slamming or talking in the halls at any point in our stay. And very comfy bed!

A few small things I noticed that could have been better. Several of the room doors (including ours) were scuffed-up on the hallway side, probably during construction. It would demonstrate attention to detail of the hotel if they would clean and possibly touch-up the room doors. The door offers the first impression for the room. Gotta get that right. Secondly, the concierge could have been more helpful and knowledgeable. We were interested in touring some of the historic homes in close proximity to the hotel. My wife and friend spoke with the concierge about our plans and were told there weren’t any in the area and we'd need a car to drive to them. I walked up later (not knowing they had already talked with the concierge) and pointed one out on a flyer I had received and he recalled the home. It was within walking distance, but by the time I told that to the rest of my traveling party they had already gotten the car from the parking garage. We ended-up just sending it back. And lastly, room service was a tad bit slow. We ordered a pot of hot water for tea, which took quite a while to arrive at the room (but I will say the staffer apologized for the delay). All of these are minor things which will probably work themselves out over time as the hotel matures.

My overall impression: If I could book another stay at The Thompson – I would in a second!

1  Thank kba1964
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Gorgeous lobby, incredibly comfy beds, nice and helpful bell staff, and a crazy cool concierge M.Roberts who hooked us up with a res at a newly Michelin'd rest (North Pond). Definitely would stay again. CHEERS!