Thompson Chicago, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #8 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I have to say the Thompson Chicago runs as smooth as a Swiss clock with smiles, kindness and European professionalism. When I arrived it was a freezing 2 degrees and the smiling Doormen got me out of the car into the Lobby in seconds not even feeling the sub-zero conditions. They are some of the best Doorman I have ever met at any hotel – there are always at least 2 or 3 at any time of the day. Amela whom heads the Front Desk really sets the fabulous tone at this new hotel. She is hospitable, generous and extremely professional as she got me a wonderful high room with a spectacular view as requested and all with a smile. Once settled into this very smart, clean and comfortable room (the bed is amazing as the linen), enjoying the great art on the walls and view of Miracle Mile I decided to head back out into the frozen cityscape. Amela pointed me in great directions for restaurants within minutes walking distance and the restaurant did not disappoint. Nico, the new hotel restaurant that just opened is great but booked out that eve. The following night I managed to eat at Nico and the service and drinks was fantastic but be weary of the menu and choose well as it’s quite heavy Italian and the portions are large. The cavernous bar is great for an after work swank drink in a very well designed space. Think “Gstaad Lodge meets Silicon Valley” when you picture the entire designed experience from hotel room to bar. Amela reminds me of those fantastic European Hotels in Vienna where nothing is a problem and all is discrete – such as holding suitcases while you shop; help finding your wallet (thank goodness) and so forth. The neighborhood is winter holiday sublime with the windows of Barneys, Hermes and Brioni all with yards of the hotel. Clearly, the hotel and its staff made a great impression and I will be back the next time I am in this spin chillingly freezing city!!!

Room Tip: Tip the staff - there great and deserve it. Some of the best!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,210)

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Just returned from Chicago, a little shopping, dining and people watching, but, the BEST place was our hotel! Everyone was so cheery and happy. They were friendly, helpful, available for any kind of help, taxis were fun to request because the outside staff were so jolly and eager. This hotel used to be The Sutton Place (we were married there in 2008) Great location, but the improvements are amazing. Upbeat, friendly, no stuffiness here and everyone is happy. Really happy! We go to Chicago 5-6 times a year and hands down, this is the BEST place to reside for your trip!!! I give Thompson a home town 10. Décor is a 10, Staff is a 10. We were even sent a bottle of champagne, thank you Danny, when she learned of our ceremony 5 years ago. Be on the look out for Amela and Kylie at the front desk. They are wonderful! Gee, I have to go back! I am already missing the Thompson and my home town!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I'm kinda of a design geek, and I loved this hotel. It felt modern and contemporary without being ridiculous or over-the-top. One of a very few hotels I've been in where everything about felt good. The rooms are just the right size and are beautifully laid out. The bathroom is palatial and the European-style shower takes up one half/an entire side of the bathroom, so you don't have to worry about getting everything else in the bathroom soaked while shower. The lighting was interesting, functional and fun. Bed was very comfy too. They did a pretty good job with noise control, and it was overall a very quiet stay. Though our room was near the elevator and we heard noise from that, but it wasn't too bad. We were also supposed to have a "Lakeview" room, so while I'm sure our room was might have been technically facing the lake, there were so many other buildings we couldn't see anything at all.

My only complaint is that I wish the bar area was bigger. We got back to the hotel on the early side on the Saturday night and just wanted a drink and maybe some dessert, but didn't feel like going to the restaurant. The bar was way too packed so we ended up across the street at Luxebar (overpriced for some things in my opinion, but good). Staff is SUPER and in particular the bell staff! They were always extremely pleasant and friendly!

We didn't eat at Nico, the restaurant, but it had just opened the Friday we arrived and it was packed the whole weekend, so that is a good sign. It is a bit of a hike to the El (closest station is Chicago on the red line), and while there are a lot of higher-end restaurants in the neighborhood, there isn't much variety. It's also a great neighborhood if you're into shopping and pretty quiet overall as a result.

Keep up the great work! I know the newness and pristineness of a new hotel will wear off, but I hope the hotel will be maintained well. It's really nice, and I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: They have gym facility which is nice, but there are not a lot of machines, so it can get crowded/you...
2  Thank Jackie P
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Perfect location, close to shopping, restaurants, sights, everything!! Cozy clean beautifully appointed rooms with great TVs and all the amenities you could want. Comfy beds, great bathroom, plenty of closet space and quiet at night. Would definitely come back & highly recommend to anyone visiting Chicago!!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Mre914
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed in the Thompson, early December. The neighborhood is so pretty, fancy stores and trees were decorated in white lights for the holidays. Great area for shopping, restaurants and bars! It is a long walk to downtown, but great exercise to walk off the delicious meals. Cabs and buses are easy options to get to the sites. The staff is warm and friendly. The front desk and Gary the doorman are helpful and make you feel special. Our room was very nice, great couch and huge shower. The bathrobe and towels are very luxurious. The view from room 1301 faces the north end of the city, but nice to see all the action of the street below and in the square in front of Carmine's Restaurant. Would recommend this hotel, as long as you don't want to stay in the heart of downtown. Our son lives nearby, so will definitely make a return visit to the Thompson.

1  Thank LoveEurope47
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Great room (we had a corner king suite) with killer views of the city.Perfect location in the Gold Coast ares of Chicago. Lobby and newly opened bar/restaurant were as expected from a thompson property. The gym needs attention - looks like they threw a bunch of equipment into an old conference room on the 4th level. Overall I would not hesitate to stay here again on my next visit to Chicago.

Room Tip: splurge for a corner king, well worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank m0rrissey
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed recently (end of Nov.) for my brother's birthday. The staff was top notch & very friendly & helpful. I was told it had just undergone a $50 million renovation & it showed, everywhere. Modern & inviting lobby. Rooms clean & fresh with all new bathroom fixtures. Great tub & shower. We had a room on the 21st floor, corner room w/many huge windows offering city as well as lake views. Great location w/ shopping, restaurants, & bars all within walking distance.What's not to like, give it a try you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family