“Amazing Property”

Ranked #8 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Amazing Property”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We recently stayed at the Thompson because of a Gilt promotion. I am so glad we did because there are always so many new hotels in the city. I knew it had a primo location but what a pleasant surprize - from the friendly doormen, personable front desk staff, very spacious guest rooms, amazing restaurant, and finally complimentary hotel car - we couldn't have asked for a better experience!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
burlington, vermont
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I'v stayed in many Chicago hotels over the last few years, from Kimpton to Ritz Carlton, but the Thompson stands out as my favorite. From our first contact with "Dan" the bellman, to the front desk staff and bartender, the people were genuinely friendly and nice and helpful. I had a corner king and the room was spacious and well designed, great bathtub, super comfy bed, good lighting. The mini bar was well stocked and not outrageously expensive, the robe was soft, there were even flip flop slippers that I actually put on. When I needed to quickly run out to buy a white t-shirt, I asked where the closest place was and they wanted to drive me there or walk me there (I declined) to make it easy. Loved this hotel and was not happy about leaving. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Go for the corner king. it's great. You can sometimes get a rate that includes parking.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This hotel is fabulous. Classy lobby and great design wherever you look. Sit at the bar and just feel how much fresher the air is with the full wall of plants. Rooms are spacious and artful as well. Fell head over heels for the light bulb lamp. Service was caring and thoughtful. All very wonderful. Tip: Get better pillows.

Antioch, Illinois
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I recently stayed at the Thompson and it is absolutely amazing! The hotel itself is great and it's accompanied by a wonderful restaurant and lounge. I recommend it for anyone coming to Chicago. Right in the Gold Coast so location is prime!

• Stayed March 2014
Washington, DC
Reviewed 28 March 2014

After having 2 horrible nights at the Westin Michigan Avenue, I told my travel agent to book me into the best hotel in Chicago. I requested a Kimpton hotel, but he said that the Thompson Chicago was the way to go. I had never heard of the Thompson, but I sure am glad he recommended it. From check-in to check-out, I had a fabulous experience. The service, the restaurant, and the amenities saved the trip!

Room Tip: Delicious apples in the fitness room.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed for two nights at the Thompson for work purposes - it was effortlessly stylish, comfortable and welcoming. The showers were incredible as were the robes the right level of plush (and the slipper/flip flop combo). The beds and pillows left us with a great night's sleep and the room was impeccably clean both days. The restaurant in the hotel, was amazing - such fresh ceviche and oysters. We secured a deal through trip advisor that gave us complimentary valet parking, which was welcome since it was too cold to get around any way but driving. I'll be back.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Wow....spent 2 nights at this hotel and all I can say is first class. Arrival treatment was perfect....we felt like they were glad we arrived. Fast check in. we received a orientation when we were brought to our room. Room was great! It seemed to be new. Clean, comfortable, quiet. Awesome bathroom! This is by far the best property we have stayed in after 6 visits to Chicago for R&R. We booked the room through some amazon program which was the only negative. They (hotel manager) made us jump threw hoops and get them paperwork that seemed inconvenient since they showed the room as paid in full. It was not a deal breaker just less then perfect.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 13th....our friends had a room on the 8th and the 18th. All of us were happy.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends