“Excellent hotel positioned perfectly” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thompson Chicago, a Thompson Hotel

Thompson Chicago, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #6 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Baltimore
“Excellent hotel positioned perfectly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

My wife and I spent two very nice days at the Thompson Chicago. We were met at the desk by Kylee, who was extremely helpful and considerate of our needs. Daniel took care of our bags and was generous with good advice and a nice smile. Each of these staff members made us feel at home. We had a nice view of the lake on a higher floor, which we recommend. The bar and restaurant were warm and inviting and the food and cocktails were quite nice. Everything about our visit was great (except maybe for the surprise lake-effect snow!). The hotel is located at the top of the Miracle Mile and was a nice walk to all of the downtown sites. The Chicago CTA station was only a few minutes walk. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike28a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

This hotel exceeded all my expectations. A warm welcome from the staff, beautiful rooms with fabulous views of the Lake and the city and a great location surrounded by restaurants and shops. A mile away from the centre of Chicago it was a beautiful walk along the lake to Millenium Park.
This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at and was certainly the best value.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jane F
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Urban cool, contemporary style, confidently sophisticated. Jeep Wrangler on the outside, Maserati on the inside. Simple touches make the difference, whether it's the high class toiletries, elegant note paper, ache melting mattress, or the extra friendly door staff. Step out onto the street and you feel like you've stepped onto the set of Friends (or at least a Chicago episode) - things happening, but all at a steady, tourist friendly pace. This end of the Magnificent Mile stretch is away from the hustle and bustle, and full of the ultra high end stores and luxury cars gliding around. Brad and Angelina apparently pop into the bar across the street when they're around. Location really is excellent, being close to the Lake Shore, great shops, bars and restaurants a plenty. Chicago's best jazz bars just a block or two away. At the time of booking (2 months ago) it was #6 in Chicago on Trip Advisor. Now it's #4. Get in fast before this obvious gem shoots in price and availability becomes harder to come by.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DM7UTD
Mentor, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was my first trip back to Chicago after the Sutton Place changed to Thompson Hotel. I am impressed to say the least. The remodel turned out lovely! The lobby is so inviting with the fire place, seating and such and the rooms well let's just say they really have thought of everything. The staff, some of which stayed from Sutton Place ( and I am so glad they did) went above and above in every aspect of my stay. You would have thought I was their only guest but I was not and I watched and observed and everyone was treated with the the same kindness. Who would not want to stay at this hotel? This is my first review ever on a site like this and I am 59 so hopefully it lets you know that at this hotel you will get what you paid for and more! My only negative was that I had to leave too soon. I felt like a queen and was pampered in every way in both the hotel and restaurant. Thank you Thompson Chicago Staff for a wonderful weekend in Chicago after a long hard winter in Cleveland!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We absolutely loved our stay at the Thompson and it couldn’t have been better. It was one of the very few hotel experiences in my life where everything clicked – style, location, service, room, bedding, shower, and price. After our stay I tried to think of what I would change or improve about the Thompson and I couldn’t really think of anything. For me, the style was the best I have ever seen (I was so impressed that I looked up the firm who did it - Tara Bernerd and Partners). My wife also tried to come up with what she would change and the best she could come up with was that she wasn’t crazy about the in-room shampoo. The experience was that good.

The service was something special and went beyond just competency. Just on a base level everything was excellent – door service, check in, check out, room service, and dry cleaning. I booked directly from the Thompson site and requested a crib. It was in the room when we arrived. I told them at checkin I didn’t need it and it was removed within 5 minutes of us arriving. However, the service went beyond competency. There was genuine warmth to the service that I have rarely ever experienced at a hotel. For example, the doorman remembered my 3 year old’s name the whole stay and he was playful and friendly with her every time he saw her. The entire staff was friendly like that.

I took my wife to the Thompson because I wanted to impress her and give her that feeling of fun travel and style that we had before our daughter. I love chic boutique hotels and this one was as nice and hip as any we have stayed at. My wife was blown away. If you want to impress a lady this is the place to take her as it is a big step up from either the grand old hotels or the chain hotels on the Magnificent Mile (although it depends of course on what you are looking for). We didn’t see any other young kids during our 4 day stay but I would recommend the hotel for those traveling with children. While there isn’t really a restaurant there for kids there are a ton of food options in close walking distance – from expensive restaurants to pizza/subway/McDonalds.

We booked directly on their site and the price was super cheap when everything was considered. The base price ran around the same as the 4-star Magnificent Mile Hotels but the Thompson had free parking and a $30 a day credit. So, the overall price was $90 cheaper since we drove in. We used the $30 a day on breakfast, dry cleaning, and mini-bar. The minibar prices were pretty cheap I thought ($5 for a beer, $6 for a big bottle of water, etc) and the dry cleaning was the same price I pay at home (I think it was $14 for my suit and $9 for my shirt). The room service ran a bit expensive as far as room service goes but not outrageously so ($80 breakfast including tax and tip included: pot of tea, 2 croissants, 2 milks, 2 orders of pancakes). There is really no need for room service unless you really like room service (as my wife does) or are in a pinch as there are so many food options right outside the door.

In summary, not only would I stay here again, I would pay a pretty big premium over other hotels to do so. I think I would now be disappointed to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Wanting to escape winter we planned this last minute getaway to Chicago. The Thompson had a great 3 day experience that was very reasonable. Having heard about the Thompson hotels but having never stayed at one we jumped at the opportunity. WE WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED!
From our arrival to departure everything was perfect. The basic room was spacious and comfortable and the bathroom was to die for. The art in the room was also very cool.
The lobby is a great place to hang out and watch people. The bar is very cool, we enjoyed drinks on 2 occasions. The dining room, Nico, was amazing, we had breakfast and dinner during our stay and these were are most enjoyable meals. It may be a little pricey but it was worth it.
We will be back!

Room Tip: We had a city view on the 14th floor and it was wonderful.