“Safe location, top notch hotel”

Thompson Chicago, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #6 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Room size was excellent, bed comfortable, shower amazing. We couldn't have asked for a better place to be. Lots of shopping and restaurants near by. We felt safe and well taken care of. Room was very clean. Morning coffee in the lobby. The rain shower was everyone's favorite.

• Stayed: April 2014
There are newer reviews for Thompson Chicago, a Thompson Hotel

Reviewed 5 April 2014

This hotel has all the modern amenities you need and is in a fantastic location. What you don't see online is the attitude of the staff. Everyone was so friendly and concerned about my stay. Taking my bags for me, driving us around in the complimentary car and showing us around the beautiful city. Really wonderful people, always smiling. For that alone, I want to come back. The room was great with a big fluffy bed and plush bathrobes. Free wifi always a plus.

Room Tip: No noise, didn't make a difference.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We decided to spend our 10 year anniversary in Chicago. We were engaged there, and absolutely adore the city, especially around the holidays. We work nonstop, and rarely have time to travel so we were beyond excited for this getaway to celebrate our decade together. After MUCH searching we decided to stay at The Thompson due to good reviews. I can honestly the ONLY redeeming quality in this hotel is the doormen. Management was friendly, but it was too late, and too many things went wrong. We're not particularly fussy travelers, but this was outrageous. We made the reservation over the phone and booked a junior suite SPECIFICALLY because we wanted a bathtub and a nicer than normal hotel room. We arrived on December 15th and were instantly underwhelmed upon arrival. I wish I remembered staff names, but upon check in no mention was made of our anniversary. In addition we asked for a view, and were given a 4th floor room which offered no view of the city's lights. The room itself was on the small side, and lacked color. We wanted to order room service immediately so we could relax for awhile. Our guest book was missing the room service menu. After calling both the room service extension and the front desk multiple times we finally received a photocopied illegible piece of paper in place of the menu. We ended up calling room service and asking what they had after an hour of waiting. They didn't offer one single vegan option. I was able to get a salad with no cheese. We also realized every single glass in our room had lipstick on it, so we had to call and ask for clean glassware as well. We tried to eat breakfast at the new restaurant the next morning, but were told by the hostess "We don't offer anything for vegans. Sorry." I was a bit surprised as my diet is no issue when traveling. How could a new hotel in CHICAGO not accommodate such a request? Fortunately we were able to find fabulous meals elsewhere. When we returned that night after dinner out, there was an apology note and bottle of Prosecco from the room service manager. Truthfully, when you're having a romantic getaway in celebration of a decade together, filthy glassware and an hour wait to order room service is unacceptable. Those are the most basic amenities. I attempted to take a bath which was the entire reason we booked the room. I ran the water, turned down the lights and relaxed.... all of a sudden in the dark I see something floating. I yelled for my partner and he came rushing in to the bathroom to turn on the light. We find clumps of rust and hair floating in the water. It had risen up from the pipes and came out of the drain. I was so shocked and disgusted, and no woman should EVER be bathing with someone else's hair! We called the front desk and they had an engineer come up who was so apologetic and cleaned the mess. Upon check out the next morning we were offered a sincere apology by the manager, and a $100 credit toward out stay. He did mention to contact him if we planned on returning. Clearly, Chicago has plenty of beautiful hotels. There will be zero reason to ever return to this one. Happy Ten Years. We will remember that horrible experience always when we think of that special anniversary.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rourka7
Steve S, General Manager at Thompson Chicago, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your stay. I would like to sincerely apologize for the lapse in service you received while staying with us. I understand your frustrations and assure you that you did not experience our usual high standard of customer service. We have looked into the issues and and have addressed them as a team in an effort to prevent them from happening again. I do hope that we have an opportunity to have you stay with us again so you can experience the positive customer service we are known for. I will be happy to personally oversee any future reservations for you to ensure that the next visit is a positive one. I can be reached directly at 312-994-7200.

Steve Shern
Thompson Chicago

Reviewed 3 April 2014

My wife and I spent two very nice days at the Thompson Chicago. We were met at the desk by Kylee, who was extremely helpful and considerate of our needs. Daniel took care of our bags and was generous with good advice and a nice smile. Each of these staff members made us feel at home. We had a nice view of the lake on a higher floor, which we recommend. The bar and restaurant were warm and inviting and the food and cocktails were quite nice. Everything about our visit was great (except maybe for the surprise lake-effect snow!). The hotel is located at the top of the Miracle Mile and was a nice walk to all of the downtown sites. The Chicago CTA station was only a few minutes walk. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike28a
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This hotel exceeded all my expectations. A warm welcome from the staff, beautiful rooms with fabulous views of the Lake and the city and a great location surrounded by restaurants and shops. A mile away from the centre of Chicago it was a beautiful walk along the lake to Millenium Park.
This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at and was certainly the best value.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jane F
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Urban cool, contemporary style, confidently sophisticated. Jeep Wrangler on the outside, Maserati on the inside. Simple touches make the difference, whether it's the high class toiletries, elegant note paper, ache melting mattress, or the extra friendly door staff. Step out onto the street and you feel like you've stepped onto the set of Friends (or at least a Chicago episode) - things happening, but all at a steady, tourist friendly pace. This end of the Magnificent Mile stretch is away from the hustle and bustle, and full of the ultra high end stores and luxury cars gliding around. Brad and Angelina apparently pop into the bar across the street when they're around. Location really is excellent, being close to the Lake Shore, great shops, bars and restaurants a plenty. Chicago's best jazz bars just a block or two away. At the time of booking (2 months ago) it was #6 in Chicago on Trip Advisor. Now it's #4. Get in fast before this obvious gem shoots in price and availability becomes harder to come by.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DM7UTD
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was my first trip back to Chicago after the Sutton Place changed to Thompson Hotel. I am impressed to say the least. The remodel turned out lovely! The lobby is so inviting with the fire place, seating and such and the rooms well let's just say they really have thought of everything. The staff, some of which stayed from Sutton Place ( and I am so glad they did) went above and above in every aspect of my stay. You would have thought I was their only guest but I was not and I watched and observed and everyone was treated with the the same kindness. Who would not want to stay at this hotel? This is my first review ever on a site like this and I am 59 so hopefully it lets you know that at this hotel you will get what you paid for and more! My only negative was that I had to leave too soon. I felt like a queen and was pampered in every way in both the hotel and restaurant. Thank you Thompson Chicago Staff for a wonderful weekend in Chicago after a long hard winter in Cleveland!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends