“Awesome service, beautiful Hotel”

Thompson Chicago, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #7 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Boston, Massachusetts
“Awesome service, beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights and this place is amazing. The standard king room is huge and has a sectional sofa in it! There is a walk in shower with dual shower heads. This place made me feel super luxurious. I stayed for a business trip and the store I work for was right around the corner, the concierge knew who I was by name and walked me to the storefront. The lobby is super trended with cool artwork and modern interior design. I would definitely recommend anyone who can afford it to stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

2 Thank Janelle F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oakville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I had read many positive reviews of this property and therefore booked it for my husband's birthday.
This is an upmarket chain, with properties in London, Toronto and New York.
Check-in went well and we were given a room on the 19th floor.
Everything here is very current and edgy, with a minimal lobby and constant retro rock playing.
Our room was lovely and kept clean by housekeeping.
The main advantage of this hotel is its fantastic location on Rush St. ( at Bellevue), right in the middle of the action.
The problems here involved a lack of communication and attention to detail.
Both concierges here seemed out of their depths. One had no current knowledge of the Blues club scene in Chicago and had no discount coupons. She "had been meaning to get to that", but had not.
The other concierge did not follow through with a car booking I had requested for Saturday night.
He then recommended a restaurant, "Merlo", which was truly awful-both the food and the service.
It is so disappointing and costly to be served a bad meal in a venue which has been recommended by your hotel.
Small requests were not met. I asked for body lotion 4 times, from housekeeping, (twice), from the front desk and then from an employee in the hall. We also ordered drinks in the bar and waited for twenty minutes without receiving them. We finally left.
We would not return to the Thompson and preferred our previous stay at the Sofitel Chicago.
Chicago is an amazing city and this hotel does not deliver.

4 Thank katherineincanada
Steve S, General Manager at Thompson Chicago, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Katherineincanada -

Thank you for your kind comments about the front office team and the guest room you stayed in. I also appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we can improve and apologize for the lack of communication and attention to detail. We take feedback like this very seriously and have reviewed your comments as a team in an effort to improve. I assure you that this is not our high standard of customer service and hope that you will provide us another opportunity in an effort to reinstate your confidence. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Steve Shern
Opelousas, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

The Thompson Chicago was very nice. The windows open so you can feel the amazing breeze! The bed is really comfortable. The rooms are very modern and the furniture minimal but adequate. The room was stocked with overpriced everything. Here is an umbrella if you need (but we will charge you $35). Here are M&Ms and Cashews and even headache pills! (All at a pre-disclosed cost of course!) I was a little disturbed by the romance package included (a bit kinky for my taste). Thankfully the kids didn't come with us.

The staff was the best part of our stay. Upon arrival we told them we were in town for a wedding. The house car was offered to get us there. Complimentary. They even allowed us to go further than they normally would. The front desk was exceptionally helpful. Our flight didn't leave until 6 so they allowed us a late check out (2pm). It could have been later but we appreciated the two extra hours to tour the city. We were mistakenly charged for parking ($62). This was corrected immediately.

Doors were always opened for us. The nice guy at the front door let us use one of his umbrellas on a rainy day.

I do wish there were vents and heaters in the bathroom. The water doesn't get very hot and I froze the entire time I was in the shower. I knew the room had no tub when I booked it, but not having a tub was more disappointing than I imagined.

All in all, I would definitely recommend Thompson Chicago, but we may stay somewhere more kid friendly on our next visit to Chicago. I think this hotel is geared more toward adults.

And location, location, location!! We were a block away from the Mag Mile and about 3 blocks from the Chicago Trolley. American Girl Place and the Cheesecake Factory were within walking distance. We hear The Grill which is right next door has the best steak in town. I'd recommend this hotel if you want to be close to the action, great shopping, and food.

Room Tip: The Superior King does not have a tub but it does have a rain shower head and a hand held shower hea...

1 Thank Erica M
St Louis, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I loved the Thompson Hotel, our corner room gave views of the city as well as lake. Just beautiful seeing the sunrise over the lake each morning. Room was comfortable and nicely appointed. Loved the bathroom tile and blue ceiling. Made you think it was open to the sky. Very classy. Drawbacks: $38.00 for a large pot of coffee and 1 glass of milk?! Scented air in the lobby that almost threw me into respitory distress as I am allergic to a lot of scents. The front desk folks just said that was their signature scent which mainly meant we don't care. Beds have square platforms that you run into every time you go around your bed to get to the bathroom or enter the room. Got a bruise to prove it.

Room Tip: NE corner room for great views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We spent a very pleasant 7 nights here in early April 2014. The hotel is modern and about a mile north of the centre of Chicago. We walked most places, and the "EL" was about a half-mile away. The local area is clearly very popular with the well heeled who frequent the various bars & restaurants. Gibsons, just across from the hotel, does great steaks and was full both evening we ate there.. Our room was a good size and we particularly enjoyed the en-suite facilities - the walk-in shower was great. We had a cocktail in the cocktail bar which we thought reasonably priced. All the staff we encountered were polite and charming - particularly the concierge / doormen who were invariably cheerful and quick to respond. Would definitely recommend it for those happy to be on the edge of the city centre in a quiet and secure neighbourhood.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 7th floor and at the back - meant we didn't experience any street noise.

Southern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We booked several rooms at the Thompson for a family event.
- The rooms are decorated with a "corporate office away from the corporate office" flavor, all grey and angles. No comfortable chair to sit/read in the king-size bedroom, only a very stiff couch that quickly hurts one's back. A good armchair in the two-bed rooms.
- Bathrooms are shower only unless one goes for an "upgraded" room. Our grandchildren are 2 1/2 and 6 months old. The toddler is scared of showers, and the baby too big to be bathed in the sink, so they went without a bath throughout their stay. The hotel did not provide any alternative like a simple, large plastic tub that could easily be placed in the gigantic shower stall. These can even come "designed" so would fit in with the "aesthetic" requirement of the corporate designer.
- We had requested a crib with our reservation 3 months ahead, then confirmed the day before that a crib would be in the room as the children would be tired after a very long car trip. A crib only showed up at 8 pm after repeated phone calls --- BROKEN. Apologies consisted of a free bottle of water and some nuts... My daughter was furious. I complained the next day and got a discount on the room price, but this does NOT make up for a hotel not being able to count how many cribs it must provide on a given day. The hotel bought 2 new cribs the following day.
- No coffee/tea maker in the rooms. Free coffee from 6am to 9am in the lobby. Reception blithely told me that room service would bring tea when requested (for a price of course), but coming from the crib experience, I felt that tea ordered at 8pm would show up around midnight...
- Good exercise room, well equipped.
- Well located next to many restaurants (and upscale shopping if one is so inclined). We recommend the Corner Bakery for breakfast, very nice staff, friendly to large family groups.
On the whole, we will remember this hotel more for what it didn't offer than for what it did. It certainly won't be our first choice for our next trip to Chicago, especially with a family.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travelbug2408
Dear Travelbug2408 -

Thank you for your feedback and insight . I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. As a result of this review, we have inventoried and purchased more cribs to order to prevent any future issues like this from happening. We have also purchased throw pillows for the couch in the guest rooms that will be delivered later this month. We are committed to providing a high level of comfort for all our guests and appreciate you highlighting an important opportunity to provide consistency in all our guest rooms.

Again, thank you for your remarks and value your input. We do hope that you decide to stay with us again when traveling to Chicago and I would be happy to be a point of contact should you choose to stay with us again.

Kind Regards,
Steve Shern
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I brought my girlfriend to Chicago for the first time, and the Thompson made it perfect. The room was large and modern, the staff was incredibly accommodating, and the hotel itself was expertly laid out and designed. But I haven't even hit the best part yet.

The food.

We had lunch upon arrival, ordered room service late, and Sunday enjoyed brunch for 2 hours. Nico at the Thompson has the best staff. We sat, asked questions about the food and drinks, and more than 6 different staff answered our questions with a smile and grace. We were so happy we just couldn't stop smiling.

You must, must stay here in Chicago. If you like being happy.

Room Tip: Get a window overlooking the skyline if possible.
2 Thank abefromanohio