“Stylish and Pet Friendly Hotel in the Heart of the Gold Coast”

Thompson Chicago, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #5 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Madison, Wisconsin
“Stylish and Pet Friendly Hotel in the Heart of the Gold Coast”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Perfect location in the Gold Coast, at the corner of N. Rush and Bellevue-walking distance to everything! Very hip hotel with a more than eager to please staff-and dog friendly. Rooms/bathrooms are more than spacious, incredibly clean, and modern. We'll be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FlysAroundtheWorld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Three co-workers and I stayed in May 2014 and thoroughly enjoyed this hotel for the night we were there. Liked the neighborhood with cafes, restaurants and nearby residential section. Jogged to the park and the lakeshore in the morning. Small but neat lobby. Got two drinks with admission at the bar. Didn't eat in the restaurant but enjoyed an Original Pancake House located across the street. Well priced for the location and value. Room layout (especially the bath) was spacious and 'cool'. Will try to stay here the next time in Chicago.

Room Tip: views are good to the south
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank mazzetti
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel's location near great food, experiences art and shopping makes fun a walking distance away. The staff, especially the concierge Mark were very knowledgeable about the area and venues and very helpful with arrangements.

The rooms and the views were stunning. I especially appreciated the beautiful, well appointed bathroom. I had a fantastic time in Chicago, and after 10 years of frequently traveling there for business, finally had a home - away - from - home experience.

Restaurant reservations recommended. Hotel room artwork was a little odd and maybe not family friendly, but I can't take a star for that. I will be back!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Nikkii M
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 June 2014

During this trip to Chicago a large medical conference resulted in low supply & high demand for hotel rooms, which forced all room prices in town up ridiculously. That said, my stay at the Thompson was otherwise excellent. The hotel is located centrally in Gold Coast district of town, within walking distance of many nice restaurants, cafes, & bars. While I'm not into shopping, most of the high-end stores are also a short stroll away. The lobby is nice, the rooms are clean, & the staff (including concierge) was friendly & helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank patrickmaguiremd
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I travel often for work and have stayed in many nice hotels in Chicago and elsewhere. Our stay at the Thompson compared favorably with other 4-5 star hotels. The service was impeccable - from the efficient and friendly receptionist staff to the bellman, Dan, to the doorman, Gary. The concierge, Mark, was extraordinarily helpful in exploring dining and entertainment options with my sisters and me. The room was spacious with a fantastic view of the lake, and was conveniently located in an area that is easily accessible to entertainment, but was also not plagued by loud city noisesat night. I would absolutely recommend this hotel and would readily stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Veronica G
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife and I checked in here with our 7 month old girl this last weekend. We had to drive to Evanston for a wedding but wanted to spend extra time in downtown Chicago. The Thompson hotel is in the heart of everything glamorous about Chicago. You have the lake front and the Magnificent Mile within one to two blocks of the hotel. Of course you pay a premium for this location. If you can afford it, it is worth staying here.

The interior of the hotel reminded me of a cabin interior with ultra modern touches. I think the most exciting design point here is when you step back to the bar. On one side is a spacious lounge with ample, colorful, and comfortable seating with nooks and crannies to get lost in. On the other side is the extension I believe of the connected restaurant Nico Osteria. Take the stairwell upstairs and there is a second bar and seating as well. PS they make a really good, not great Bloody Mary. They need to offer more exciting garnishes.

The staff is very friendly. I had arrived with my family within 90 minutes of the rehearsal dinner. Our room was not ready at 3pm because I had asked for feather free bedspread and pillows. I told them our problem and they switched our room to expedite the checkin and promised to have the room feather free when we returned. They did because I asked when we returned late in the evening.

Also, housekeeping was very understanding and friendly when our baby had an accident on the linen. They were quick to respond to change our sheets and mattress cover with no complaints or frustration.

They offer room service that is upscale. If you are not interested in that sort of food, there is an Original Pancake House directly across the street which is really good, better than IHOP. They have outdoor seating too which was awesome for enjoying the weather and people watching. I also recommend walking 4 blocks to the 3rd Coast which has excellent breakfast food.

Between Nico Osteria and Tavern on Rush the street between Saturday and Sunday nights were packed with people just enjoying the weather.

Parking is fairly expensive at the hotel but probably normal for the area. I parked in a covered garage using SpotHero online and saved $60. The garage is 900 Michigan Ave across from Urban Outfitters. I have no complaints. It got me out of the hotel to enjoy the people and the area. The garage exits left on Walton then one right on Rush and in two blocks you are at the hotel. 10 minutes roundtrip. I picked my family up at the front of the hotel and we were off.

We had a standard room. Consider bringing a humidifier if they don't have one for you. I was in 1313 with a lake and city view. The king bed was very comfortable. No complaints.

I have to applaud the hotel gym. They have the usual treadmills, universal and weights. What is unique is the TRX system and heavy bag with gloves to use. I used solely the TRX system, I had the gym completely to my self and had a great workout. The gym has plenty of room. I even did sprints. Of course if you like to run, get outside! the area is great.

Also, free WiFi.

I hope to be back but within one block is the Waldorf and the Drake which I have not stayed in yet :)

Room Tip: Save some money by parking in nearby covered garage
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Max878
San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Location, location, location. Beautiful hotel. Rooms and lobby stylishly furnished and decorated. Front desk staff, doormen, bellmen, valet, and concierge were friendly and helpful. On-site bar offered solid selection of unique craft cocktails in trendy environment.
Couple of oddities - no coffeepot in room, however, lobby offered complimentary. Wall art a bit disturbing. Expect to pay a hefty fee for valet parking, but perhaps that is the norm for the location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends