“A base for Chicago shopping”

Thompson Chicago, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #7 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed one night for a 2 day shopping trip. Trendy feel to satisfy my teenager! Check staff was friendly and helpful. We got there at noon and our room was ready by 2:00. Nice corner room with views on the 16th floor. Location very good for shopping and dining. Room clean and bed comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Rooms are not large but they are quiet and clean. The bathrooms are very large and there is a small sitting area. The temperature controls all worked well and the room was very comfortable. While we didn't eat at the restaurant there is one there, we went around the corner to the nicest Starbucks I have been in as well as the Pancake house right across the street.

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger than regular rooms
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Thompson Chicago over the July 4th weekend at the recommendation of a Chicago native. The hotel was chic and trendy, but understated. It was a midsized boutique hotel with great city views. The location was amazing, with a variety of restaurants in the area and the Magnificent Mile shopping just a 5 minute walk away. There's a quaint little park across the street where my husband and I would sit for hours and people watch and car watch too. Many, many exquisite luxury cars in the area. Definitely a neighborhood with rich clientele. We were also able to walk down to a beach along Lakeshore Drive that was beautiful. The front desk employees were extremely helpful and friendly. This was our first trip to Chicago and it was worth it! We will definitely stay at the Thompson again!

2  Thank traveler4everFL
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I am a big fan of Hotel Palomar but wanted something different for this trip. Thrilled to have lived outside my box and would go back here next time. Walked to the lake every morning, less than 10 minutes. At the north end of Michigan Ave - one block from Oak Street. While Oak Street is outside of my economic comfort zone :) - its still worth the time to enjoy and see how the other 1% lives. Original pancake house is across the street for breakfast - exactly what you'd expect. We needed a room with two beds - only one option, and fortunately they had a lake view. Staff could not be better, from the door man to the concierge - impeccable service and personalities. Ate at Nico one night - outstanding. Bathroom is small and 'cozy' for two but doable. Beds super comfortable and yes, agree with all the others, its quiet. The neighborhood feel is great too. Gibsons, Cedar Hotel (casual bar), Tavern on Rush, Lou Malnati's all within a few feet from the hotel. Walk up the street towards Michigan and you are just north of Neimans and Water Tower. Artwork in the rooms and public areas outstanding. Will definitely be back

Room Tip: Higher floors give better view of Lake Michigan.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank moxie529
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The great reviews of the Thompson convinced me to give it a try. We weren't disappointed. As the cab from O'Hare drove up to the hotel on a Saturday night in June, we were greeted with a very lively and urbane street scene, with streetside diners at three of the four corners of the intersection. The lobby had an eclectic and chic feel to it as did our room. The bathroom is especially cool, with a very large walk-in shower. The lobby bar was fun to hang out in and people watch but the prices were sky-high. We took advantage of the hotel's car service, which, when available, was great. The service in general was impeccable. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have a new best friend, and his name is Larkin. Larkin is one of the many dapper, attractive people working the front desk at the Thompson Chicago, which is (IMHO) the coolest new hotel in Chicago.

To give you some context, I’ve happily rocked out at the Hotel Sax and the James, I’ve experienced new-school glamor at Public Chicago, I’ve felt the Kimpton love at the Monaco and the Palomar, I’ve even been blown away at the Trump Chicago, but Thompson Chicago has become my new favorite in The Windy City. While it’s not for everyone (the artwork in the room is very racy, with pencil sketches of an Indian Chief smoking, naked ladies, and skulls doing various cheeky things), the Thompson will be my new go-to for anyone who wants the “it” hotel experience.

I am a hotel snob, and I sift through the rooms with a fine-toothed comb looking for flaws. If there’s a chip in the paint, I’ll find it. Torn drapery? Shameful! So when I say that the Thompson Chicago is pristine, you know it’s really in amazing shape. The rooms are flawless; I stayed in a Corner King on the 8th floor and had great city view, a comfortable kidney-shaped couch, and a cow-hide rug to impale with my heels. Everything was spotless. I checked behind the couch, under the chairs, in the bathroom… even my one-finger “sweep” of the tub returned with nothing but squeaky-clean goodness. The rooms are immaculate, exactly as pictured, and the maids take obvious pride in their work.

The atmosphere is often one of the things you can’t infer from the photos, so let me tell you about that. The hotel definitely attracts a variety of people (I saw quite a few that I would imagine to be in their 40s, a good number in the 30s, and fewer, but still some in their 20s or 50s+). I did not see a single child while here, which is exactly what I wanted for my grown-up weekend getaway.

The staff were excellent—back to my new BFF Larkin. I arrive at 9:30AM, which we all know is hideously early in hotel time. I had requested an early check in, and to my delight, Larkin had rushed the room, and had it ready for me 15 minutes later.

Seems they were anxiously awaiting our arrival; when Sam the doorman took our bag from the cab he said “Good morning, Nick!” to my fiancé. Needless to say, the fiancé was utterly shocked, whispering “How does he know my name?!” and then saying to Sam “Good morning—uh—well, you know me, but I don’t know you…” Sam introduced himself, and was a friendly face both coming and going for the rest of the stay. Such service I expect from a 5 star, but for a 4.5 star to know which guests are arriving when? Very nice.

Their restaurant, Nico Osteria, is a blazing hot spot in its own right. This restaurant is very popular with locals as well as hotel guests, and attracts a chic, upscale crowd. Food is great, though I've been spoiled with all the other great restaurants in Chicago, so I can't say it was my favorite.

Finally, a word about the location. Gold Coast is where it’s at. There are tons of amazing shops, and in a less-hectic area than Michigan Ave. Restaurants abound, and the streets of the Gold Coast have a residential charm to them. You’ve got row upon row of exquisite townhomes that are 100+ years old. The architecture alone is worth the stroll. Also, the time it took me to walk from the front door of the Thompson to the Magnificent Mile was about 5 minutes. SO worth it to have such an elegant, upscale neighborhood as my home away from home.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are SO worthwhile. You won't be sorry when you see that big, gorgeous room and the...
3  Thank RunCatchKiss
Reviewed 15 July 2014

A quick 2 night weekend stay, 2 couples, in the Windy City. Once upon a time, I lived in the Chicago area but for the other couple, it was their first visit to the Windy City. The Thompson Chicago is a new fairly addition to the Chicago hotel scene, after a major renovation in 2013.

Pros:
- Location, location, LOCATION!
- Large corner room suite
- Nice room amenities - Bigelow bath products, robes, slippers, umbrella (which we used)
- The most comfortable beds

Cons:
- No in-room coffeemaker
- Must call room service for ice

Although there was no in-room coffeemaker, there was (excellent) coffee provided in the lobby, so you needed to either order coffee from room service, or get dressed and go down to the lobby to get it. One other amenity that I prefer is an ice machine available for guest use since I prefer to be able to get ice myself without having to wait on room service to bring it. Both are just minor inconveniences. We were on the 5th floor and our friends were on the 18th floor.

The best part was the location! Located in Chicago's Gold Coast area, a block from Michigan Avenue with every store imaginable…..and an easy walk to all kinds of restaurants and bars, with indoor and outdoor seating.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for a good view. Corner suites and floor to ceiling windows.
2  Thank jmbklj