“Great hotel....just a couple of things they could have done to make it better”

Thompson Chicago, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #8 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We really enjoyed staying at this hotel. It definitely has some great features;
We loved the location
We loved the decor
The rooms were very spacious
Great views from the bedrooms
Liked the free tea and coffee in the lobby in the morning
Everything is very clean, fresh and smells new
There were a couple of negative points, although I would like to add they were not much and I would definitely stay here again;
When we arrived at 1am after a very delayed flight, the person at reception, said that they would like to upgrade us, which I thought was excellent and very kind. She then said it would cost us an extra $80 per night. The way it was said slightly annoyed me. We thought we were being upgraded for free and then the cost was snuck into the end of the conversation.
The housekeeping were a little mean with the shampoo, condition, soap etc. we had to call down to request additional items as things weren't replaced and there wasn't enough for both of us the next day.
However I would like to point out that these are very minor things and I did really enjoy this hotel.

Room Tip: As for a room higher up
Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travellover6128
Write a ReviewReviews (2,210)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We toured Chicago on this trip with two of our teenage grandsons, covering the gamut of sites and evening entertainment. Our grandsons commented on our flight home that the hotel was one of their three favorite experiences in Chicago.

Room Tip: We had two rooms on opposite sides of the hotel (N & S). Both had pleasing views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The property and room was great. Everyone we dealt with, valet, front desk, were pleasant. Unfortunately the entire visit was marred by something that happened before we got there. When I placed my initial reservation, I dropped off the promo code for $5 parking. I realized my error right away and called the hotel. They told me to call Orbitz, who said I had to cancel my unrefundable reservation and place another (did I say it was unrefundable?). I waited a couple days and tried the hotel again, thinking surely this was fixable, but alas they were unable to help me, I don't know why. So I got to spend $62 a night for parking, instead. So while I enjoyed the hotel, I won't be back.

Room Tip: The city view from the 20th floor was fantastic.
1  Thank Smblock
Reviewed 14 August 2014

From the moment we arrived at the Thompson we were made to feel welcomed! The front desk was awesome. Kudos especially to Larkin and Cheryl who were especially instrumental in the little extras like acknowledging birthdays with cupcakes from Sprinkles, arranging for the use of vehicles and providing great directions to avoid traffic congestion. Friendly smiles go a long way in making you feel at home. Although the rooms are a little smaller than average, the bathrooms are substantial, the rooms are clean and updated and the views and airiness from the corner room can't be beat! Great stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This place is so fine, I didn't want to leave. Location is perfect. Had a little trouble getting a confirmation but did eventually. I want to go back with my husband to spend time at the chic lounge and definately intend to.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

My 5 day stay at the Thompson's Chicago was such an amazing experience. My room was superb. The view was superb. The service was superb. Our food at Nicos was excellent. I would definitely go back any day and i highly recommend this hotel for either business and for pleasure.
Amazing. Thank You!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 12 August 2014

From the moment you arrive, you are treated magnificently! ALL of the hotel staff were just wonderful. Very helpful and went above and beyond to make sure that you were comfortable. This was our first time in Chicago so this was a wonderful first impression.
The rooms are spectacular and the bathrooms are wonderful. The rooms were spotless.
Very quiet hotel with no noise from the hallways.
There are no coffee makers in the room but there is coffee and tea every morning in the hotel lobby.
There is a restaurant on site but we did not eat there. Looked great though.
Hotel is located in a great section of town with many restaurants within walking distance. You can easily walk to the beach at Lake Michigan and to the beautiful stores on Michigan Ave.