“NorthSide Answer to Great Greek Food”
Review of Athenian Room

Athenian Room
Ranked #1,320 of 9,812 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Lincoln Park
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Athenian Room just west of Halsted on Armitage has terrific Greek food, the chicken shish kebab over salad is refreshing on these balmy Summer nights. My husband and I drove through Greektown, tried to find parking there but were unsuccessful. We live in the Lincoln Park/Old Town area and so parking the car and walking was fine with us….especially as the entertainment for that particular night was the Naked Bikers Ride on Halsted. We didn't have to deal with traffic congestion, we got a table outside, the food was great(and inexpensive), the parade of the bikers was unique (and free—for one and all). You won't get that experience ever again, but, the food and the service are definitely worth the trip. The only draw back is the valet parking happens near the sidewalk tables…but, eh…you could get better pollution in Athens.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Outstanding value. The chicken kalamata is a precision roasted marinated half chicken served with a salad and fantastic Greek fries for a paltry $10.00. Perhaps the best bargain in Chicago. No liquor but adjoining bar lets you bring your drinks into the restaurant. The Gyro sandwiches and Greek salads also looked good. I will return

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

I have been going to this restaurant ever since I was a little girl living in the city. I moved to the suburbs, and every other weekend or so we take the train down to eat at the Athenian Room. It has great home made Greek food and amazing service. The atmosphere is cozy, especially in the winter time. The food is a good price considering it's in the heart of Lincoln Park(a very nice area in the city). The Greek fries are necessary... if you are on a diet it is definitely worth cheating lol. I would recommend this to families/friends/ and first dates!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

The Athenian Room is an old-school neighborhood restaurant. It feels like it's been there for decades; the phone even rings instead of chirping. I'd heard about the Kalamata Chicken and figured it was worth a try. Three of us went there on a Friday night, were greeted warmly and seated in the crowded dining room. The restaurant doesn't have a liquor license but you can go to the next door bar to get a drink and bring it back.

We ordered spanakopita to split as a starter. It was warm and tasty. A very basic Greek salad came with the dinners and we added a side order of feta. Then the Kalamata Chicken arrived in all its messy glory. It's a crisp roasted half chicken on top of Greek fries, all drenched in a thin lemony vinegary sauce. It was really tasty. The potatoes soaked up the sauce without getting soggy. Magic? Maybe.

One of my companions had the skirt steak which was also drenched in a thin sauce and said it was delicious and better quality than more expensive steaks he'd had. We ended the meal with baklava, the only dessert on the menu, but, when you have baklava, you really don't need anything else. Three dinners with a shared starter and three desserts came in at about $50. Good food. Good value.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Chicago has a great Greektown. Tons of authentic restaurants and large menus. Athenian room isn't authentic. I've had the Greek chicken and the gyros. Both are great. However, the menu is extremely small - not nearly as many options found in Greektown. Service is friendly but nothing special. The place is also chock full of teenagers and parents with young children, so it's not too much of a date place. Better for a couple of friends or family. I will always go here when I'm craving gyros, but if I want anything else, I'll head south.