“Our go- to place when my daughter is in town”

Uncle Julio's Hacienda
Reserve with OpenTable
Uncle Julio's Hacienda is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #900 of 9,548 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Massachusetts
“Our go- to place when my daughter is in town”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Uncle Julio's is a wild raucous place that is great for groups celebrating and people with loud children( they are very kid friendly and put families in the back area
The food is fantastic - if you order anything mesquite grilled :the steak, ribs ...
Amazing
the tortillas are made in front of you, the chips are thin and perfect and salsa is a treasure
And, a must try is the swirl - frozen margarita with sangria
My daughter always wants to go there when she visits with her husband and baby
I always forget about it until they come and then we love it
But, go early
The wait can be a long one if you don't

• Visited August 2014

Fort Myers, Florida
“Best Mexican and Swirl is a must!!!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Had the Guadalajara. Bacon-wrapped shrimp and choice of fajitas. Excellent flavor, portions were significant. Had "The Swirl" with it, a blended sangria and margarita of awesomeness! Very tasty! Devoured two bowls of freshly made tortilla chips and homemade salsa before the main course...not because it took the food long to arrive, but because it tasted so damn good!!! Excelente Tio Julio!

Visited August 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Fantastic Salsa and Grilled Shrimp at Chicago Prices”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stopped here Wednesday afternoon for lunch. Valet parking was $3 for lunch.

We sat outside on the patio, and it was a beautiful afternoon. Our server brought us the salsa and chips which were amazing! I believe there were roasted peppers or tomatoes in the salsa which gave it a great flavor. When I mentioned to my son, who lives in Chicago, how great the salsa was at Julio's, he said that he thought they had one of the best salsas in the city.

For an entrée I had the grilled shrimp which was served with garlic butter. I believe they were $20.99. Didn't really want to spend that much for lunch, but they were excellent - nice and big with great flavor and the garlic butter to dip in. My husband enjoyed his carnitas tacos.

For a drink, I had the margarita and sangria "Swirl" which was very flavorful. My husband had the raspberry tea which I thought tasted a little watered down.

We left the restaurant stuffed because we had so many chips and salsa, so we couldn't try any desserts!

Would recommend this restaurant - Mexican with Chicago prices. With tip I believe the bill was around $50+.

• Visited July 2014
Chicago
“A Mystery!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

How can a restaurant with such poor service, such below average food, and such deafening noise be jam-packed with people who seem to want to be there? Any fans of good Mexican food, Margaritas, or even canned Tecate - will find the existence of Uncle Julio's a mystery.

Went with a group of five - got very poor service, sloppily made drinks, barely okay food, and couldn't hear each other talk without raising our voices.

The table side Guacamole was okay. Sad it is served with such flimsy chips.

Not recommended!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank John K
“Still a favourite”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

My daughter, home from college wanted to visit uncle julio's for a birthday lunch. We've been to restaurant several times before and this time was no different. Chips and salsa are great, my favorite are the butterfly shrimp and beef enchilada, which l combine into one dish, with onion, peppers, and alittle sour cream, delicious, delicious. My kids enjoy the fajitas. So l guess we'll be back for some other occasion down the road.