“just ok”

Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch
Neighbourhood: Lakeview
Reviewed 30 November 2012

The best part about this place is the prices. The food is average and the place is VERY loud! The decor is done in a typical bright festive "Mexican" theme. The music is loud as oppose to good, and if you request a song they charge you $10! (same price as some entrees!)

Reviewed 13 October 2012

A great value and not your standard, run of the mill Mexican options. We ate dinner on a Friday night and it was $25(not including tip) for both of us. There was a wide variety of Mexican dishes - the standard restaurant favorites and some we had not tried before such as the beef tongue taco and guacamole taco. Tamales appeared homemade and were generous in size. A festive atmosphere and attentive service. A nice selection of Mexican beers, margaritas, etc.

Reviewed 17 September 2011

I live nearby and Mi Tierra is kind of my default go-to place when I don't want to cook and maybe crave a margarita too. Bright, festive colors abound in this lively atmosphere, and it can be rather noisy at times, so it is not a quiet, romantic sort of spot. They offer (decent) margaritas by the pitcher, and as families are welcome here, don't expect tranquility. Chips and (exceptional) salsa arrive at your table with water when you're seated, and I am impressed by the consistent attentive service (granted, I am a regular). It's a sizable space so it is rare to have to wait for a table. The food is good for standard Mexican dishes such as enchiladas, tacos & burritos, and their carne asada is a treat. I also favor their milanesa de pollo (pounded, breaded chicken), served with salad, rice and beans and a roasted jalapeno. I don't eat shrimp, but my dining companions have enjoyed their various shrimp dishes, and I do like their whole snapper done Veracruz style. Certainly not elegant, but reliable Mexican fare, and a good place to celebrate with friends.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

Our daughter just moved into a new apt in Chicago and we found Mi Tierra. We ate there twice during a recent visit. You feel like you are in Mexico in the restaurant,,,colorful tile and decor. We had lunch...very economical lunch specials and then dinner. All of our dinners were great along with a bucket of Pacificos and Doequis and very good service. The guacamole appetizer was huge! We will be back!

Reviewed 29 April 2011

We are Texans transplanted in Nebraska. We have been without fantastic Mexican food for ov a year. we took a vacation to Chicago and found Mi Tierra. Against my better judgment, we decided to try it. What a great idea, it was like going home! To start the salsa was great. My husband ordered the homemade tamales and they were among the best we have ever had. Best Mexicanfood outside of Texas! We would highly recommend them and will definitely be back whenin Chicago again!!!