“Tasty food in a nice neighbourhood”

Southport Grocery & Cafe
Ranked #612 of 10,032 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$6 - US$13
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Lakeview
Description: Stop by and experience our exciting array of specialty food groceries and a charming café serving modern comfort food. Southport Grocery & Café captures the quality-focused, yet down-to-earth nature of its Lakeview neighbors. This same balance occurs in the café’s kitchen, with dishes that are at once modern and new, yet accessible and comforting.
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We had brunch here before going to a Cubs game. It's a 5 minute walk from Wrigley, on a nice, happening street. We had to wait 40 minutes or so for a table, but it was worth it. The food was great! Bread pudding pancakes, eggs, cauliflower soup. Yum! I would definitely recommend it!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Southport Grocery serves some of the best breakfast the city has to offer. I highly suggest being an early bird and getting to the restaurant between 8:30 and 9 on weekends (especially if you have a large group). Otherwise, be prepared to wait for anywhere from a half-hour to two hours. I promise you that if you have to wait, it's completely worth it! I love the hash and sharing the bread pudding pancake. The homemade poptart and savory muffin are equally delicious. I don't think there is anything that they make that wouldn't be good! This is a great place to bring out-of-town guests, have breakfast with friends, or go for a date.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

I went to this restaurant the first time yesterday with 2 friends. I found pay box parking on the street nearbyand my more patient friend found free parking on a side street. We had a short wait of 20 minutes so we went to the Lululemon store that is right beside the restaurant. The place is small and was very busy for Friday at 11a. So no biggie. They text you when your table is ready. There are many stores along the street in this area so killing time is not hard to do.
Once seated, our waiter greeted us right away, he answered our questions and was Very pleasant.
The menu had do many delicious options it was hard to decide what to have! I do like that the appetizers have taste portions! Yay! As many times, the app fills me up or we want to get a few to try.
My friend had the Brisket and Gravy that he raved about and I think he licked the plate clean. Trying to be good, I had the Chicken Salad that was perfect - big chucks of white meat, grapes, and a nice salad that comes with. I did keep stealing forkfuls of his Brisket and Gravy however! It was sooo good. My other friend who is a pancake connoisseur had the Bread Pudding pancakes that she deemed "wonderful"
We hadn't seen each other in awhile and realized we were done eating but still gabbing. We apologized to our waiter who told us no problem, it looked like we were having fun...so no trying to scoot us out.
My friend bought two cupcakes on the way out that weren't expensive and were boxed nicely. She said she bought them for her kids but was afraid she might sample them before they got home from school!
Great food. Good service. Friendly staff. We definitely will be going back!!!

Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

Saw this place on "unique sweets" show on TV, and with Chicago being on my list of places to go to for work this month I made this one of my priorities and I was not disappointed. The ambiance was exactly how it was portrait on TV, lively, fun, and a bit eclectic. I was a bit greedy and ordered 3 items of the menu with full Intention of bringing left over back to Florida. The food was amazing, and service was great! Hope I can go back to Chicago soon for the sole purpose of eating at this restaurant.

Must try!
Bread pudding pancakes
Adult pop tart
Breakfast sandwich
Or anything else in the menu

Reviewed 9 April 2013

This restaurant was featured on Unique Sweets on the Cooking Channel and I had to eat here while in Chicago last week. The place is very intimate and cozy. They have a wide assortments of salads and soups, tasty sandwiches including some vegetarian selections. They serve breakfast all day and therefore I had to taste their bread pudding pancakes. They were amazing! look at my pictures and you will see. They also have a kids menu which is just enough for those little appetites. Their desserts (featured on the Cooking Ch) are in a show case behind the gourmet stands, we shared a chocolate stout cupcake. It was out of this world!!! After your meal you can walk about the shops and neighborhood as it is trendy and very contemporary.