“Great Location, Value Option In The Loop”
Review of The Standard Club

The Standard Club
Ranked #141 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 6 July 2013

The Standard Club is not a full-service hotel, but rather a City business club which offers hotel-style rooms as part of their club facilities. My girlfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding which was taking place in the Club's ballroom.

As a business club, staying at the Standard Club means losing out on some of the amenities of a full-service 4-star hotel. The front desk is not manned 24 hours, there isn't a true concierge and the room service menu is limited. Further, the rooms and public spaces are dated. The room itself reminded me of what a 4-star hotel room looked like in the 1990's.

That said, what the Standard Club lacks in style and service, it makes up for in price. On the weekend we were staying in Chicago, most of the typical 4-star chain business hotels were charging somewhere between $350-500/night, whereas we paid around half of that at the Standard Club. As such, it can be a good option for someone looking for value, but wanting a room that is a little bit nicer than at the 2-3 star range.

The best part about the Standard Club is its location. Right in the loop, the property is a short walk from Grant Park, Museum Campus, Michigan Avenue and all the traditional core sites of a tourist to Chicago.

While I personally prefer to stay in nicer 4-star properties for most of my trips, for the price I was paying, the location and the good service I received from staff, I can see where the Standard Club can offer a good niche for travellers looking for a good-location value option but not wanting to go to a budget hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Tanagan
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the Standard Club. Your feedback is very important to us. We were delighted to hear that our staff took good care of you during your stay. We do pride ourselves on being a Private Club with the feel of a Boutique Hotel. Our staff makes sure they know all our members and greet their guests with the same warm welcome. We enjoy hosting guests of our members and do all possible to extend as many services as we can to make your stay memorable. We are in the process of updating our Clubhouse. With the recent addition of new carpets throughout our public areas. We have also added IPod docks and Kuerig coffee makers in all rooms. We do hope you stay with us again on your next visit to Chicago.

There are newer reviews for The Standard Club

Reviewed 2 July 2013

I spent a week at the Standard Club this summer. I was in town for a conference and a friend of mine sugested I stay here. I was well pleased. The room was large and well maintained. The bed was comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location was convenient. The exercise facilities were very good. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you so much for your comments. Your feedback is so important to us. We do feel our oversized hotel rooms give a little more space, especially for a longer stay. Along with our gym and fitness equipment, I hope you had an chance to enjoy our pool. Please know when you are staying, you are very welcome to join any of our fitness classes. We have yoga and spinning classes along with some other specialty classes that may change each month or per season. We look forward to welcoming you back and making The Standard Club your home in Chicago.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

I recently had to make a quick business trip to Chicago this past May. I had never stayed there before as I usually stay at one of the big chains but a work colleague recommended it to me. I was very pleasantly surprised at what a nice facility it was. I was very impressed with the richness and the wood design in the lobby. The room was very spacious and very well kept. The bathroom was also very large and the whole space was very clean. I found the bed very comfortable and I was happy not to hear sounds from outside the room as is very common in large cities. The staff was very friendly and hospitable. It is also very easy to get to by train from O'Hare Airport. I would certainly consider staying at this hotel on my next trip back to Chicago and I will recommend the Standard Club to my friends and work colleagues.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank rick c

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Standard Club. We pride ourselves on being a hidden gem in the city! We have a great location in the loop with easy access to both business and leisure destinations throughout Chicago. I am so glad your stay was comfortable and our team took care of your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

Wow....here we go....I don't usually write a bad review unless it is an extremely unacceptable experience. Besides the fact that this place is dingy and old, the customer service is about the worst I've seen ( and I travel a lot) I've stayed in many crappy sub par nasty places for work, and they all have better customer service than this place!!! Upon arrival (w a pre approval of early check in w a wedding party) we were told twice our room wasn't ready as they continued giving rooms to other guests. Not only were they rude as hell about it, they never even admitted they dropped the ball. Never offered us even a water or helped us w bags after waiting over 3 hours. Not one person offered to help w bags.....NOT ONE! When I expressed that I needed to get ready as part of a wedding party, they said.... Get this.... "Go to the women's locker room" This is almost funny bc they also have signs around saying "no denim allowed". I have news for you folks who think you are high class....you are so sub par in the world of hotels, you obviously have NO CLUE what class is. In addition, the blinds in our room were all bent and broken and a very dingy tub. This place is a joke!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

I am truly sorry to hear you had such a disappointing stay at the Club. I can assure you this is not our normal level of service. We certainly could have made your wait for a room more comfortable and for that I do apologize. We are in the process of upgrading our window treatments and bathrooms. This is an ongoing project and I am sorry to hear you received a room that was not up to standard. Because we are a Private Club we must enforce our dress code. I know that in an effort to accommodate your room not being ready, our staff did make an exception and waive that rule and offer other Club facilities. We are very disappointed that your stay fell so short of expectations. Thank you for taking the time to bring these points to our attention, as we do take our guests’ feedback seriously.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

Service was excellent.

The rooms were good, but unfortunately were not maintained to the impeccable standards they used to be. Furniture was showing its age, and the bottom panel had come detached from the dresser. The bathtub drain was broken, and the bath faucet was cracked and clearly should have been replaced a long time ago. Also, surprisingly few outlets scattered throughout the room, and no desktop outlets--a must in the internet age.

Bed was okay, but not 5-star standards, and the bedding felt cheap.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gabriel M
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding the service. I am so sorry you found your stay disappointing. We really appreciate your feedback and despite being disappointed, taking the time to mention the positive comment regarding our team.
I apologize that your room did not meet the quality you have experienced in the past. We are in the midst of a renovation program. We recently had new carpet installed in our Guest Corridors, our Lobby, our Main Dining Room and our Cocktail Lounge. We are now reviewing all guest rooms for enhancements in technology, bathrooms and soft goods. I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Standard Club on your next trip to Chicago. We look forward to showing you the upgrades and enhancements as we complete them.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

We stayed at the Standard Club for a wedding. The location is in the loop and very close to the blue line if you are taking the train from the airports. It's walkable to Michigan Avenue and State Street for shopping as well as the financial district. The club has been around for a long time and is renouned for their food and their service. Honestly, I don't think even the Ritz or 4 Seasons can match the service you get from the Standard Club. The rooms are very clean. The price is comparable to major hotels in the city but I believe you get more for your money. I would recommend this to anyone staying in Chicago for business, a wedding/event, or just a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

Thank you so much for taking time to review us! Your feedback is so important to us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, especially for such a wonderful occasion. We have had 144 years to perfect our service and although we are always looking for new ideas, we feel that our traditions find their place in the present and work well with certain modern enhancements. I hope we get the chance to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 7 January 2013

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Standard Club boh persoanlly and professionally. On a personal level, my husband and I stay there when we want to enjoy downtown entertainment. The Standard Club is conveniently located near the threater district, many wonderful restaurants, the museums, etc. Most are within walking distance. The staff has always been attentive, gracious and informative. The rooms are large and well appointed. The Club has been updating and modernizing the rooms and, as of our recent stay, offered most of the amenities all the other hotel downtown have. As a woman, I found the bathrooms to be much superior to a lot of the hotels I have stayed in i.e. large vanitiy separate from the toilet/tub area, lighted makeup mirrors, high quality complimentary toiletries, comfortable seating areas, fluffy terry cloth robes, etc. The restaurnt offers delicious menu choices at reasonable prices. On the occasions that I have used the health club, I found it to be more than adequate and always clean. The concierge service is fantastic. They can direct you anywhere you want to go and know all the special events taking place in the downtown area. On a professional level, as part of my job, I am the coordinator of two group events at the Standard Club every year. For these events, I book between 20 and 40 rooms per event. Over the years, I have held these events at other hotels in the downtown area. No other hotel was able to offer our group the rates or service that we receive at the Standard Club. From the moment I sign the contract, every detail is taken care of efficiently and professionally by the Standard Club staff. The added advantage of hosting our events at the Standard Club is that it is a private club and, therefore, the members attending our events are given personal treatment that a regular hotel cannot offer. While some people find the dress code offensive, I feel it adds to the elegance of the facility. If you want to assure that you or your guests have a postive downtown experience, book your next stay at the Standard Club.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MaryLynn4927
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

We appreciate the opportunity of assisting you with your business needs. I am so glad that you were able to enjoy our guest rooms and dining on a personal visit as well. Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback, we are delighted that we meet and exceed your expectations when using the Club. We take pride in the fact that we can offer a more personalized service getting to know our members and guests and taking care of their every need. We look forward to welcoming you and your guests back on many occasions.