“Classic old school elegance”
Review of The Standard Club

The Standard Club
Ranked #141 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Spent two nights at this classic Chicago spot. It is located in the south loop which is the oldest historic section of downtown Chicago. Service was good and the amenities are fine.

I have read the other lesser reviews and it strikes me that those folks have no appreciation for staying in a classic building with all it's glory. No, it's not a sparkly new hip joint - it's a voice from the past that reminds you of the grandeur of Chicago architecture and history! Will stay there again for its proximity to everything in downtown. John L.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank JohnnyByeBye22
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Club. We take pride in our history and are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do enjoy a great location close to many amenities and attractions downtown. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

There are newer reviews for The Standard Club

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I recently attended a wedding here, and had the opportunity to stay over. After reading some of the reviews, I was a little apprehensive. Boy, was I wrong! Sure, this building is old, and it needs some attention. But once you look past that, and see the beauty of its history and the graciousness of its staff, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised like I was. The room we stayed in was very spacious - AND had a beautiful, unobstructed view. The bed was comfortable - much more than some of the places I've stayed in. Yes, the carpet and drapes were old and in need of replacing. But overall, I would stay here again in a heartbeat! The staff was helpful, professional and polite; the food was outstanding; the location is GREAT! And at no time did I feel uneasy or in danger of being mugged while out after dark. They may not have all the perks of some of the newer hotels in the area; but then again, those newer places also don't have the history or charm of the Standard Club.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ginny C
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you so much. Your feedback is so important to us, we know it takes time to leave a review and appreciate your comments. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are a special location for life events such as weddings and our whole team takes great pride in being in part of these very special occasions. Being just one block from State St. we have many great attractions and wonderful shopping close to hand. I will definitely pass your comments on to our staff it is always so nice to share this feedback with them. We do know that some items in the room need updating and are currently looking at these projects. In the meantime, we do have some of the largest rooms of Hotels and Clubs close by and enjoy unobstructed views on both sides of the building. Thank you again and I hope we get the chance to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I spent three days at the Standard Club. I was in town for a conference. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. The room was very comfortable and clean. The hotel is in walking distance of many city attractions. I took advantage of the very nice pool and exercise room during my stay. I also ate at the restaurant and the food was excellent. Thanks again to the very pleasant staff. They really provided great customer service and made my stay very enjoyable. I would stay at this hotel again and recommend it to my family and friends. Great staff, great price and great location!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Gina N
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Standard Club. Being a private club our staff take pride in taking time to get to know all our members and guests and making sure they enjoy their stay with us. It is so good to hear that you enjoyed the service here. We are situated in a great location, walking distance to both the business district and many of the city’s favorite attractions such as Millennium Park, Grant Park, the Chicago River and our wonderful lakefront. We also have fabulous shopping close at hand as we are just one block from State Street. I am also glad you had a chance to enjoy our restaurant. We are renowned throughout Chicago for our food and take great pride in our historic dining room. Your comments are very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Great location and great service-reasonable prices. Our double bed room was large and clean but smelled old and musty. Several things were repaired during our 3 night stay. The bathroom also emits an odor of old pipes. It is a grand old building fitting to Chicago history but with that comes just plain "old"
We did not eat there. It definitely needs some money and upgrades but then the prices will go up also.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joanne g
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. It is always so good for our staff to receive positive feedback. We take your comments very seriously and are checking into the odor you mentioned. Our rooms are larger but more classic than some of our competitors. We are however gradually making upgrades to enhance our product. As we do that though, we are mindful of our history and traditions. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

WOW i am not quite sure where to start.... First of all... I have stayed at motel 6 and it was like a 5 star hotel compared to this. As soon as i came into the room the first thing i noticed was the beautifully stained carpet, there was not a clean spot on it, and was completely black around the edges. Second came the smell of old musty unventilated basement. Awful! Our closet doors were completely broken so we could not use the closet. Also, the room had no safe... What kind of a room doesnt have a safe!??? The bathroom didnt look too bad except for the shower covered in mold and mildew. Now comes the best part.... The bed... Oh my God, i have not slept for one minute of the night. The pillow was made out of spring board so using a pillow was out of question. The sheet and blanket were definitely made out of balsa wood.. To even try to go to sleep i had to grab towels and fold them up to use as a pillow which might have worked if it wasnt for the bromen AC which made the temperature in our room above 85 for sure when we had it set at 50; also apparently this is in a great location right next to a rail road so every 15 minutes you would jump up in terror thinking that a train will come through the window. Speaking of windows.... Our blinds were definitely from the 60s in an ugly brown color and bent! The view was of a somewhat abandoned factory/garage.
The area that this dump is located in is literally in the middle of no where. Its terrifying just going outside. I wouldnt be comfortable taking out my phone without fearing that i will be robbed.
At around 430 in the morning i could not take being in this room anymore so as i got up i quickly realized that from laying on this hard as wood bed and having no pillow that i could not move my neck!!! This is inhumane. I bet in jails the beds are A LOT more comfortable than this.
So yes my best suggestion is to STAY AWAY from this place.

• Stayed: October 2013
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

We’re so sorry to hear about your experience. Because we take each of our guest’s visits seriously, It’s tough to hear anytime anyone does not enjoy his or her time at our Club. We appreciate your feedback. We know that where you stay is an important part of any trip, and we work really hard to make sure The Standard Club upholds its 144-year history of excellence, but it doesn’t sound like we met your expectations. Please rest assured that we’re taking this feedback very seriously and sharing it throughout our organization to address the points you outlined. If you have other details to share, or if you’d like to discuss further, we’re here to listen. Feel free to call or send me an email at rpearson@stclub.org.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

I was in the hotel for one evening for a business meeting, not my choice. For me the location is a little far from the main tourist attractions and the best shopping, but I could get over that. The room was the disappointment. First was the ratty, frayed carpet at the threshold, next was what appeared to be dried blood on the comforter, next were the areas of paint peeling on the ceiling over the bed and then the mangled louvers on the mini blinds--so bad you couldn't keep the sun out. The bathroom was nice with good soap. They spent some money on a Keurig coffee maker with some premium k cups but no half and half, only powdered creamer. I didn't hate the room and if I were in the area again I might stay here if the rate was the same. Just don't expect luxury.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank cathy s
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. Your comments are very important to us and they are not taken lightly. We have gone through every room to check the threshold of the carpets and had them repaired immediately. Our painter is in the process of re-visiting every room. Our comforters go out for dry-cleaning on a regular basis. Our Director of Housekeeping has checked every room since we received your feedback. I can assure you this is not our normal level of service and we will not accept a comforter being in place that has stains on it. I apologize that you had this one in your room. We are currently looking at alternative window treatments and hope to have a new solution soon. I do hope you will stay with us again when your travels next bring you to Chicago. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can take care of your reservation personally.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

This was an interesting stay. The location is so central and very convenient to be in the city. For that, I give the hotel a nod. My room was literally half cleaned... got back to the room at midnight and the bathroom area had no coffee, no trash emptied..it was like housekeeping stopped mid-assignment and left. The replacement items came very promptly, but the wrong type of coffee for the coffeemaker. In the morning, I had to ask for coffee again. I left my luggage in storage, and when I retrieved it the bellman didn't realize the laptop computer was separate from the piece of luggage and DROPPED the computer. This is an older hotel, with an element of old time elegance and grace. I would certainly stay here again, as the hiccups were not a deal breaker. Attention to detail would help. Employees were polite and eager to please.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple