Chinatown Hotel
Great 4.5/5
  • Room Service
Great 4.5/5
  • Restaurant
All reviewschicago's chinatownbudget choiceruns hourstrain stationwater pressurechecking in
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I was exhibiting at a convention at McCormick Place and was a late registrant (so my usual hotel was booked up). This hotel is a five-block walk from the convention center and that is a good way for me to get some exercise--walking back and forth.

The parking was non-existent. When making the reservation, I would have benefited from a bit more precise guidance. Here's what I learned that I didn't know. When you arrive at the hotel, you will be on a one-way street. Pull into the standing area right in front of the hotel. Put your flashers on. Go in and check-in. Get your luggage to your room. Then, proceed down the street, looking for free street parking. It is free from the point of the hotel on down to the end. The trick is finding an open spot. You could keep circling or you could just go the Chinatown parking lot. To get there, simply ask the hotel front desk staff for directions as you check in and they will give you a map that is easy to follow. It is a very short walk back from the parking lot to the hotel. Parking is $14 for a 24-hour period.

There are many choices of restaurants and some fine architecture. There was a street bazaar on Sunday.

The hotel is old and smells. Internet is terrible. Don't plan on being able to connect. Three of four times I called the front desk, I received a message to call back in five minutes. Calling back didn't result in reaching someone. The Internet slowness and bad connections made tasks take about ten times as long as usual.

I usually don't book at a hotel unless it has an average Trip Advisor rating of at least 3 or (more usually) 3.5 out of a possible 5. I wondered, after I was in the hotel, how I could have booked this place. I went back to Kayak.com and Trip Advisor and found that the rating was indeed a 2.5 average. So, I hadn't followed my own personal policy! I will in the future!

Finally, as if the above were not enough, the A/C didn't work well. The room was excessively warm and humid. Calls to the front desk did not result in reaching anyone.

The shower stall did not have a holder on which to place soap and shampoo so I had to place those items at the base of the shower stall door. I like to shower with a wash cloth but none were provided in the room at any time during my three-day stay there.

The price was economical. If you want to save money, have an "adventure", be in Chinatown and close to downtown Chicago and don't need Internet, this would be an acceptable place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MarkHanses
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This hotel, as the title suggests, is literally a roach hotel.

I had booked the Chinatown Hotel sheerly due to its low price. I had read the reviews and saw a lot of negative comments about it, but convinced myself, "well, how BAD could it really be?" We found out.

I had called the hotel asking if we could get a slightly earlier check-in time because we were ahead of schedule getting into Chicago. They told me it was all based on availability and couldn't guarantee this but if a room was open, they could check us in. I thought this was strange since they should know their current booking for the same day. We arrived about 2 hours early and I tried to check in and they said there was no rooms open and we would have to wait until 3:00 for the check-in time because they were cleaning the rooms. I obliged and my group and I went across the street to a restaurant for some drinks while we waited.

We returned at 3:00 for the check-in and they were then able to check us in. The process seemed to take longer than it should as they couldn't find our booking information. I gave them my confirmation and booking numbers and only after a long process were they able to check us in. I'm not convinced that they actually found it but rather just opened a new case. The desk worker seemed very confused the entire time and had to console with another employee the whole time and took us about 25 minutes to check in. The whole thing should have been a red flag but being the understandable person that I am, I let all of it slide.

We were then lead to our room where the attendant opened the door for us then left. Upon walking into the room, I was appalled at the conditions. The first thing I noticed was the linoleum flooring throughout the entire room. I had never seen a hotel with this and the entire place was dirty with visible dirt and dust all throughout the entire place. It was disturbing. The walls were patchily painted and had visible differences in the whiteness where they had painted and not. The two windows in the place were ground level with a back alley which looked very sketchy and potentially dangerous. We then proceeded to walk the room to see everything else and it didn't get much better. The bathroom was a contamination zone. There was very visible mold all throughout the ceiling tiles and appeared to be half falling down. I sat on the bed and I think sitting on a bed of sandpaper would have been more comfortable. The sheets were filthy and obviously very old. It reminded me of a bed set that they had drug out of the attic after 10 years and made the bed without washing them. We attempted to turn on the TV which was a small computer monitor and the TV didn't even work! My friend had brought an air mattress to sleep on and he required to move one of the desks to fit it in the corner and when we moved it, there was literally dead roaches and bugs under the desk! I had went up to the desk to complain about some of these things and they sent a guy to fix the TV which it took him about 45 minutes. The entire time he didn't say one word despite me asking him questions occasionally. During the TV fix, my friend took a shower since we had such a long drive there overnight. When he tried to dry himself off, the towels were no better than the bed sheets. About 5 minutes later, he started to rash up after using the towels! On another level I was annoyed since we had to wait 2 hours for them to "clean" this room. I'm sure all they did was make the bed and maybe empty the trash cans. There is in no way possible that they did anything other than that. Visible dirt on the floor speaks for itself. I could have cleaned this room to that condition in 2 minutes.

Let me be clear, at no time were we ever seriously considering staying the night. It was just a question of whether or not I could get my money back for the room since we had booked 4 nights. After we all came to the conclusion that this place was not habitual for any person that didn't bring a Hazmat suit, I then approached the desk to see if I could get my money back. I had told them that the room was appalling and it really was a severe disappointment. They proceeded to be not be understandable to the situation and said that the room was fine. I persisted and told them all of the aforementioned things and they said that they could offer another room. At this point, we wanted nothing to do with the Chinatown Hotel anymore after such poor conditions and treatment. After pushing the issue with them, they agreed to give me the other three nights fare back and keep the first nights. I thought that was mildly ridiculous since we had been there 45 minutes. However, at that point we were just ready to go and had to take the hit of the first nights price. We had found a hotel off the Rosemont stop for the SAME price and was a 4 star hotel.

Do not stay at the Chinatown Hotel unless you pack all your own sheets, blankets, towels, bring a plethora of cleaning supplies, Hazmat suit, and roach spray.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Daniel B
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This hotel is very basic, no frills, you get what you pay for. For the adventuresome type who likes to throw themselves into atypical situations, this is the perfect place for you. If you're expecting the usual hotel luxuries - room service, lots of space, good views, or other extras, this is not the place for you! But if you want to be seated right in the heart of Chinatown's rich culture, and be close to the bus lines (but unfortunately not the "L" train, since the Chinatown stop is under construction), this is the right place. The carpets, corners, and windowsills were a little grungy, but the bed linens were fresh, the shower was clean, there's free wi-fi, and cable TV. I only had one real concern: As a female traveling alone, I felt a little worried about safety, because the their keys seem a little unconventional and the system seems easy to bypass/break through, and the doors a little flimsy. Also, the walls are paper thin and everyone was LOUD. But, if you're the type that doesn't mind external noise, then you'll be fine here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank JenK302
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We picked this place to try something different. You do get a different atmosphere here than you would in the downtown area of Chicago. We arrived just as a storm was rolling in and a good portion of the area was shutting down because of it. We quickly unloaded the car and checked in. The service at check in was great and actually was great the whole time we were there.

There are a few things that do challenge the traveler to this location. First if you want free parking you have to park on the street which is already packed. I was able to find a spot one block away but think that was more luck than actually there being plenty of places to park. Then we also had a room on the third floor so had to walk up the steps to get there as there is no elevator. This was a challenge with a 3 year old but we also picked this location to do something different. The room was small and was very warm. The air conditioner did eventually get the room cooled off. They had free internet that worked well. In the morning we discovered that there was a coffee pot in the room but no coffee.

Overall we got what we set out to do, we got to stay at a location that is unique and different.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com