“Great welcome to the city”

AC Hotel Chicago Downtown
Ranked #65 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great welcome to the city”
Reviewed 15 November 2009

I was waiting to write review to ask my son the name of the check in clerk whose name escapes me. He epitomizes this great city and we had a nice chat or two during our stay.
I also saw him leaving a party laughing upon their check in. This says alot about the hotel and your first impression.
My son loved the room and location as I let him choose which Starwood property as we were using points. Yes we could have stayed at Westin or the Towers but this was a great choice. With points you only get a single bedded room but they upgraded us to a two bed even though I offered to pay for a cot. The pillows were the most comfortable I've ever used and the beds were twin I believe and extremely comfortable. I don't understand why americans have to have hugh beds...this was perfectly satisfactory.
The room had a mini fridge, great for storing drinks from the nearby trader joes downstairs along with a close by 711. It's hard to find a badly placed property in Chicago, and this one is right in the thick of things and can't imagine a better located hotel.
We also enjoyed the spa after a long day of walking and the fact the hotel isn't too snooty and you can relax and enjoy the facilities.
The view was nice, one of the things I look for when booking, of a pink restaurant but we didn't have time to try. We were fixated on trying all the pizza joints.
Again, being high season and crowded we still got excellent service.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
FPbSPaul, Director of Operations at AC Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, 17 November 2009
Dear sallyhess,
Thank you for sharing with us some of the experiences you and your son had while here in Chicago. I am happy to hear that we had met or exceed your expectations.
I hope you had the chance to get to Gino's East on Superior... my personal favorite. If not, be sure to come back in sometime in 2010 and try it out. I hope you'll be staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Turkish first
new jersey
Reviewed 12 November 2009

I came across a great deal on expedia: non-stop airfare from Philly to O'hare plus 4 nights accomodation at the Four Points, for my wife, I, and 2 kids, for about $1250. I was worried that the deal was too good to be true, but alas, for once, I was not disappointed.

The hotel is situated perfectly. 1-2 blocks from Michigan avenue, and about 2 blocks from the red line subway. There are myriad shopping and dining options within 5 minutes walk.

The lobby is fairly unassuming and not the kind of place you'd want to hang out long in. The restaurant and bar, if I remember correctly, are on the 4th floor (never went to either). We were put up on the top floor, which was extremely quiet (maybe just got lucky but we didn't hear a peep from anyone). My kids would never think of visiting a hotel and not going to the pool - we made several visits to the pool at this hotel. It's small, and only 3.5 feet deep at the "deep" end. But I imagine in the middle of august, after a day of walking outside all day, the pool would feel very, very refreshing. I much preferred the hot tub, which was a perfect temperature, but unfortunately out of service for one of the three days we went to the pool area. The exercise area was nice, with about 3 treadmills, a couple of stationary bikes, an elliptical trainer or two, and some free weights. There were TVs in the gym, but no view outside.

All in all, for the price we paid (and even for the price I believe the rooms usually go for) this hotel is an excellent deal. We'd stay again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank glubblub
FPbSPaul, Director of Operations at AC Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, 14 November 2009
Thank you for the very nice review of our hotel and facilities. We really are lucky to have such a great location. I am happy to hear you had enjoyed your stay with us, and we all look forward to seeing you again in the very near future.

Ontario
Reviewed 29 October 2009

My daughter (age 9) and I stayed at the Four Points recently with the American Girl package. Our experience was perfect in every way. The doorman, Philip, is friendly , the front desk staff is helpful, the breakfast was tasty (free with the American Girl package), the room was just right, the beds were very comfy, the pool was clean and well stocked with towels, and the location couldn't be better for the price. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank splott112
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Door man was very friendly.
The front desk personnel were knowledgeable and friendly.
Our room was clean and the American Girl package was great for the kids -- they loved the beds for their dolls and the cookies & milk that were waiting for them upon our arrival.
The location was great for our shopping activities as well as our excursion to Navy Pier.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 20 October 2009

We stayed at this hotel over Labor Day weekend 2009. The location could not be beat. We walked to restaurants, Millenium Park, Chicago River Cruise. The price was super and the room was great. We had a microwave and mini refrigerator in our room.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
INDIANA
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Nice hotel right off Magnificent Mile & within walking distance to many things. Convenient parking in garage connected to the hotel. Balcony room was nice, but the balcony really doesn't amount to much. Room was quiet and had no trouble sleeping. Friendly staff - especially the front door employee. I'd stay there again, but skip the hotel's breakfast area. The breakfast was way overpriced and the burritos and fried potatoes were so bad we couldn't eat them.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 October 2009

What a great downtown, moderately priced hotel, with a perfect location. Good pool area ( though a spoiled 9 and 8yr old felt it was a little “lame” as it didn’t have the waterslides like the Water parks in the Dells. However, this didn’t stop them from hours of swimming.) Smallish whirlpool that was nice and hot, and comfortable seating areas made it a nice place to relax after a day on the go. The rooms were nicely appointed, clean with a refrigerator/microwave and sofa bed in ours. The 2 beds and sofa bed suited us well for this trip (2 adults/2 children). The bathrooms were basic, yet clean with nice amenities and a good hair dryer.

Reception area was well staffed with friendly people, candy offered in the afternoon and fresh fruit in the morning. Really makes for a welcoming welcome. The door was managed by the nicest Doorman/bellman/public relations person I have run across in ages. Phillip would be an asset to any 4 diamond hotel on Michigan Ave.

Just a block off Michigan Ave, this little gem offers quality service, a good sleep, and a reasonable alternative if you are not looking for glitz and glamour.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family