Great points about this hotel :
(1) Location, location, location ...
(2) Location, location, location - right on the amazing Michigan Avenue at the heart of downtown, just steps away from tour pickups (e.g, Chicago Trolley & Double-Decker), from a picturesque stroll along the Michigan Avenue bridge, river taxis, river cruises, with simple food options next door (e.g. Chipotle, Subway), Chicago sports store, souvenir store and a Walgreens. Even a Giordano's (the best Chicago-stlye pizza) is only a few blocks away. Portillo's & Barnelli's on Ontario Avenue is about a 15 minute walk. The Magnificent Mile is less than a 10 minute walk north, and Millenium Park and Art Institute are about a 15 minute walk south. Short cab rides to Navy Pier, 360, SkyDeck, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium or around 30 minutes walk to each if you don't mind.
(3) Valet and self-parking are more affordable than other hotels in the area and breakfast (although average quality and the same exact items during our 4-day stay) is free, which is unheard of in other hotels in the area
(4) Room (double-queen) was spacious and fully equipped with washer-dryer (if needed) and full kitchen and fridge/freezer, with dishes, cutlery, etc - if you need to microwave or cook your own food and dine in the comfort of your own room, these were great-to-have. it felt like staying in a fully equipped apartment-hotel.
(5) Staff is friendly and helpful. Generously gave us late checkout for free until 2 pm on our last day, and also hooked us up with discounted tickets for the architectural boat tour.
Not-so-great points about this hotel:
(1) Hotel is dated and needs a make-over. Room on 21st floor was dark. Room felt hot as A/C was not effective even though it was a nice 20-25 C outside. Even at its lowest temperature setting, it still wasn't sufficient. TV was substandard quality. Shower tub had permanent stains. The hallways coming out of the room/elevator smelled and the shower curtain had an unpleasant odor - they need to be replaced with fresh new ones.
(2) Wi-fi was slow and connection was consistently spotty.
(3) The same staff member who comp'd us on the late checkout and discounted tour tickets would at times give inexact info, e.g. indicating that the boat tour office was about a 5 minute walk when it was significantly further from the hotel (requiring us to take a short cab ride to get there in time) and telling us that the quoted prices already included applicable taxes when they didn't, surprising us a little with an additional $15 balance when we arrived at the tour. Minor inconveniences, all things considered, and no harm intended, I am sure. Perhaps just a little careless.
Overall, I'd recommend the hotel for its exceptional convenience and relative affordability (cheaper by Chicago downtown standards, but not a bargain by any means), but some facility renovations/improvements are in order.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the award-winning Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue Chicago. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago on North Michigan Avenue. Select from a range of beautifully designed studio, one- and two-bedroom downtown Chicago suites featuring nearly twice the space of the typical hotel room at a better value. Spacious and distinctly contemporary, each Chicago hotel suite blends the full range of guest amenities and services with an upscale residential feel and sweeping downtown views. Enjoy home-style comforts such as full kitchens, washers and dryers, complimentary high-speed Internet, and flat panel LCD televisions. Outside, the Windy City's best shopping, dining, and entertainment - including the famed Magnificent Mile - are just steps from our front door. Venture out and explore all that makes up our extraordinary city! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Hotel Chicago
- Comfort Suites Chicago
- Chicago Comfort Suites