“"Life Saver"”

Price range: US$10 - US$15
Neighbourhood: West Loop
Neighbourhood: West Loop
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I were leaving Chicago for our home in Virginia we hadn't been successful in finding a soul food restaurant but had seen the Trip Advisor review for Robinson's. We had a long train ride 23 hours so I had visions of boxed barbeque. We ordered a slab of ribs, beans, chocolate caramel and lemon cake. They cut the slab into individual ribs. The rib meat was falling off the bones and super good. I wasn't crazy about the sauce but my husband did. He told me to say it was a matter of taste. The cake slices (nice size) you got two each were great. My husband wasn't crazy about the baked beans but when the trip trip turned out to take 35 hours were we happy to stop at Robinson's. Strictly a take out place, no ambiance, stuck in a corner of the food court at Chicago's Union Station.

There are newer reviews for Robinson's #1 Ribs - South Canal

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

If you are in Union Station and tired of national chains, go upstairs to the food court to Robinson's Ribs. The quick service, reasonable prices, and most of all the tastiness of the food make up for the food court atmosphere.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Rules for BBQ Ribs -- if they aren't smoked on-site, DO NOT order the ribs. I'm was born in Kansas City, I know BBQ and I like many different styles from KC to Memphis to the mustard-based Carolina-style.

But yes, I did look longingly at the 2# box of rib tips. But I just need lunch and I'm getting on a train where I have a roomette and all my meals for the next two days -- if I'd been in coach I would have bought 4#s untested.

I got the Pulled Pork Sandwich which comes with fries and slaw. They were happy to swap out the fries for a second slaw. Small complaint is that the slaw is served in one of those small (more for tartar sauce than slaw) containers that are about 1.5" across. The bun was one of the best -- more like a egg-based bun which I love. Big and messy -- especially since I used the two "servings" of slaw on the sandwich -- Carolina style. I'd definitely order it again -- but then there is the temptation to try other items as well.

What a great treat before a long trip -- and amazing to find anything remotely edible in most train stations. Gold Coast Dogs right next door was good as well.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

The chef isn't friendly I'm not sure if that's just him or how chicago people are, the manager was surprisingly nice. Service is fast and food is good. Next time I'm in Chicago I would come again.

Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

After reading some of the positive reviews, I went against my best judgement and decided to give it a try. It is a fast food setup in the food court at Union Station so forget all about atmosphere. The ribs themselves had little meat on them, but the sauce was good. Value is average at $14 for a half slab, slaw, and fries. I should have listened to my better judgement.