Ray's Bucktown Bed and Breakfast
Ruby Room(Chicago)
  • Spa
The Willows(Chicago)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsb bsauna and steam roomda vinci roomfresh fruitbucktown neighborhoodcardinal roomflamingo roomheated floorsmade to order breakfastmap roomplace to stayeclectic decorwicker parkhome away from homelogan squarequiet neighborhoodblue line
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 October 2007

Lots of extras at this rambling B&B in the Bucktown area, from the sauna downstairs to delicious breakfasts, cooked to order, by personable, down to earth staff. Although the entryway to the annex across the street is a bit dowdy, the Tucson Room was a delight to stay in. A great array of bars and restaurants within easy walking distance, and the El to downtown is around ten minutes' walk.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank Guzzle
Reviewed 25 September 2007

Appetite, walking shoes, Chicago questions and smile.

Ray's B & B is located in an excellent location within walking distance to many types of resturants and pubs, plus cute little shops
for those looking for cute little shops. The El is a quick walk away and chances are Ray will drive you there himself. Ray's breakfast is VERY good, if you are a light eater, maybe ask for a "half-portion", or just eat the entire thing and save money on lunch. Get the french toast stuffed with bannanas and Nutella, wow.

We stayed in the Annex, across from the acutal B & B, and I'm glad we did. Each floor of the Annex bost two bedrooms and a huge living area which includes a full stocked kitchen, very nice. Rooms, baths, living and kitchen were tip-top clean.

You can't go wrong with Ray's while in Chicago.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2007

Wow what a place! My husband,myself and our grown up daughter stayed in the Da Vinci room for 4 nights and wished we could have stayed longer. Ray was a brilliant host and made our stay really good. What can I say about the breakfasts-they were just great with so much choice,and all freshly cooked while you waited. It was nice to be able to eat when you wanted so no panic.It was also great to get tea and coffee from the kitchen at any time of the day and also to be able to use crockery etc when we had a take-away delivered.There was also bottled water available when you wanted which was very useful .He was great with any info that you needed and there are plenty of places to eat near here and Ray has a book with restaurant ideas and take-aways etc. We had a car and there was no problem with plenty of free on street parking.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank rowton
Reviewed 31 July 2007

Stay away from Ray’s!!! I was quite surprised by my accommodations at Ray’s after reading the reviews on this site. Don’t be fooled by the photos. Ray is a professional photographer and every picture is tented yellow to hide the dirt. Quite frankly, Ray’s is a filthy mess. I knew I was in trouble when I walked through the front door, the smell of pine cleaner almost knocked me down. I was escorted to my basement level room situated only a few feet away from the noisy laundry facility, only to be greeted by dead flies and dirty linen. The bed was lumpy and creaked loudly with every move. The walls and doors were smeared with blood and boogers. The shower had a grimy ring around it with questionable looking black specs. Do not expect to see cute little bottles of shampoo, conditioner or lotion. No, Ray offers the giant bottles of the dollar store stuff, reused of course. A hot shower lasts about five minutes. Forget about getting actual rest in this place. The alarmingly loud front desk phone starts to ring at the crack of dawn and you can hear the foot traffic from the ground level when all of the guests arrive like cattle for their breakfast. Breakfast is good, if you can find a clean plate.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank caligirl14
the_renaissance_man, owner at Ray's Bucktown Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2007

I am the owner and operator of Ray's Bucktown B&B. We pride ourselves on keeping the place absolutely clean, quiet, relaxing and taking care of our guest. Please look at every other review.

People have a right to their opinion, but honest should be an important part of any review. I am personally offended by this posting.

Basically every single thing is simply not true in this person’s review (blood & boogers on the wall???) except that they were on the same level as the laundry (but not in a basement—we do not even have a basement, we have a Chicago garden level with windows in both rooms on that level) and I am sure she smelled pine cleaner when she walked in as the place is thoroughly swept and mopped every day.

I could go through point-by-point if anyone feels that anything might be true in her review, please call or email us and we will be happy to talk about it.

We hope to have you as our guest.
ray

Reviewed 26 July 2007

My wife and I and our two children (Jenna our 10 yr old and Ryan our 5 yr old) stayed at Ray's Bucktown B&B and were treated so well that I can't ever imagine staying at a hotel again. Ray and his very capable and very friendly staff were such awesome hosts - dealing with Ryan and Jenna's "white board art" and babysitting for a very reasonable rate while we went to dinner and a play. John, Paige, Ray, Chris and Natalie inspired me with their kitchen "magic" that I've attempted stuffed French toast two times since I left! They all did a wonderful job of surprising us each morning with a delicious breakfast and we're not just talking eggs and toast or pancakes here. Chris' huevos locos (I'm sure I messed up the spelling) was to die for and he had me thinking about them all day long! The B&B was always clean and I had no problem with my children wandering around the downstairs while we got ready for the day. There's plenty to do in the B&B and the Bucktown area if you are not interested in seeing the sights in the fabulous city of Chicago; and if you're in the mood for a swim, a public pool is right down the block. Lake Michigan beaches are a short car ride away and the transit system is within walking distance if you choose to go “car-less”. There’s plenty of shopping in the area and some excellent restaurants nearby - all within walking distance even with a 5 yr old in tow! I can't say enough about how happy we are that we decided to stay at Ray's and we will recommend it for any trip my family or friends take to Chicago. I really enjoyed the early morning chats with everyone in the kitchen and I also learned a thing or two about Chicago. Ray and his staff went out of their way to make our vacation a special one and when we come back to Chicago for a visit or vacation, we'll be staying at Ray's again.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family