“Say No to the Basement”

Ranked #4 of 23 Chicago B&B and Inns
California
“Say No to the Basement”
Reviewed 31 July 2007

Stay away from Ray’s!!! I was quite surprised by my accommodations at Ray’s after reading the reviews on this site. Don’t be fooled by the photos. Ray is a professional photographer and every picture is tented yellow to hide the dirt. Quite frankly, Ray’s is a filthy mess. I knew I was in trouble when I walked through the front door, the smell of pine cleaner almost knocked me down. I was escorted to my basement level room situated only a few feet away from the noisy laundry facility, only to be greeted by dead flies and dirty linen. The bed was lumpy and creaked loudly with every move. The walls and doors were smeared with blood and boogers. The shower had a grimy ring around it with questionable looking black specs. Do not expect to see cute little bottles of shampoo, conditioner or lotion. No, Ray offers the giant bottles of the dollar store stuff, reused of course. A hot shower lasts about five minutes. Forget about getting actual rest in this place. The alarmingly loud front desk phone starts to ring at the crack of dawn and you can hear the foot traffic from the ground level when all of the guests arrive like cattle for their breakfast. Breakfast is good, if you can find a clean plate.

• Liked — The safe location with a nice strip of shops
  • Disliked — Dirty, diry dirty!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank caligirl14
the_renaissance_man, owner at Ray's Bucktown Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 24 August 2007
I am the owner and operator of Ray's Bucktown B&B. We pride ourselves on keeping the place absolutely clean, quiet, relaxing and taking care of our guest. Please look at every other review.

People have a right to their opinion, but honest should be an important part of any review. I am personally offended by this posting.

Basically every single thing is simply not true in this person’s review (blood & boogers on the wall???) except that they were on the same level as the laundry (but not in a basement—we do not even have a basement, we have a Chicago garden level with windows in both rooms on that level) and I am sure she smelled pine cleaner when she walked in as the place is thoroughly swept and mopped every day.

I could go through point-by-point if anyone feels that anything might be true in her review, please call or email us and we will be happy to talk about it.

We hope to have you as our guest.
ray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 July 2007

My wife and I and our two children (Jenna our 10 yr old and Ryan our 5 yr old) stayed at Ray's Bucktown B&B and were treated so well that I can't ever imagine staying at a hotel again. Ray and his very capable and very friendly staff were such awesome hosts - dealing with Ryan and Jenna's "white board art" and babysitting for a very reasonable rate while we went to dinner and a play. John, Paige, Ray, Chris and Natalie inspired me with their kitchen "magic" that I've attempted stuffed French toast two times since I left! They all did a wonderful job of surprising us each morning with a delicious breakfast and we're not just talking eggs and toast or pancakes here. Chris' huevos locos (I'm sure I messed up the spelling) was to die for and he had me thinking about them all day long! The B&B was always clean and I had no problem with my children wandering around the downstairs while we got ready for the day. There's plenty to do in the B&B and the Bucktown area if you are not interested in seeing the sights in the fabulous city of Chicago; and if you're in the mood for a swim, a public pool is right down the block. Lake Michigan beaches are a short car ride away and the transit system is within walking distance if you choose to go “car-less”. There’s plenty of shopping in the area and some excellent restaurants nearby - all within walking distance even with a 5 yr old in tow! I can't say enough about how happy we are that we decided to stay at Ray's and we will recommend it for any trip my family or friends take to Chicago. I really enjoyed the early morning chats with everyone in the kitchen and I also learned a thing or two about Chicago. Ray and his staff went out of their way to make our vacation a special one and when we come back to Chicago for a visit or vacation, we'll be staying at Ray's again.

• Liked — Excellent staff
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank nacarusoweb
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed 6 July 2007

First time at a B&B and we were not disappointed. Staff was great. The room was wonderful - just as pictured on the website. There were a lot of little extras in the room that made you feel like you were at home. The bed was soooo soft. Breakfast was incredible. Fresh fruit, pastries, coffee and juice were out when you came to the kitchen and then they took your order for your meal. They had quite an extensive menu and had specials daily. We would highly recommend Ray's.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank Williamsons
Cleveland
Reviewed 26 June 2007

We had a terrific time at Ray's! His breakfasts are amazing!! He is a very friendly and interesting person, so good conversations at breakfast while he whizzed around the kitchen, cooking for us. He even picked us up at the subway station when we arrived. Rooms are tastefully decorated, wonderfully eclectic. Ray's is also in a great location -- about a 10 minute walk to the subway. Wonderful restaurants right there in the neighborhood (try the Sushi place and the Mediterranean place). You can't go wrong!

• Liked — The food and luxury bathrooms. Bedding was great also!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2005, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maggie_Mae_Cleveland
Illinois
Reviewed 31 May 2007

Wow, this was the best B&B we've ever stayed with. We are gurus on it too, staying at hot B&B spots such as Door County and Hot Springs AK. The breakfasts were to die for...Stuffed French Toast with hazelnut, almond, bananas...or whatever YOU want in there!! They as YOU when you want breakfast, and they will bring it to your room if you want. But it's so much fun to meet the other cool people there and rave over breakfast together. This is in an old Chicago Brownstone row house so the accommodations are not luxury. Even so, I would rate it over the top just because of the breakfasts. Ray is smart and knows how to run a business. Must go if in Chicago!!

• Liked — Breakfasts
  • Disliked — It was all good!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yaknow
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 26 April 2007

We spent a few days at Rays (West Room) and we had a brilliant time. Our room was clean and cosy - i particularly liked the bathroom! Breakfasts were amazing (lots of options, served whenever you are ready!). Everyone was friendly and really helpful. A welcomed change from the endlessly replicable 'traditional hotel experience'! Staying at Rays became one of the features of our trip! Highly recommended. (Bene, France-UK)

• Liked — its uniqueness
  • Disliked — na - the colour of my bath towel?
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank benealexmel
Chicago
Reviewed 24 April 2007

I stayed her for mine and my girlfriends one year dating anniverary. The cooking was great, the room was great and the staff was excellent Paige was awsome. They made everything great. They room was awsome we stayed in the master suite and had the whole annex to ourself.

• Liked — staff was great
  • Disliked — Nothing everything was uburb
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple