“Fantastic and unassuming”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fantastic and unassuming”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I visited Our Lady of Sorrows on Open House Chicago. It was the first site we visited that day and I am glad we did because I never would have known about this site otherwise. The exterior of the basilica is relatively unassuming-it is even missing a tower, however it really is a sight from the inside! If you will be in the area or at all interested in churches, definitely worth a visit.

Visited October 2011
4 Thank kelpiek

Urbandale, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Don't miss this opportunity to visit a great parish community”
Reviewed 17 July 2005

I was baptized (convert) at this church in 1954, went to school there until 1956. I never went back until this Sunday(7/17/05) The church has not lost its awe inspiriting quality but what is most important is the community this parish has formed. From the greeters to the choir to the reader of the gospel ---they represented God's wonderful gift of love to one another. The church was once a grand place, well supported by it parishioners. Now it appears to be a struggling community but everyone works to keep it going. It leader is a very human person whom you feel is truly one with the community. The loss of a telephone system--without a clue on where a new one will come from--will not stop this parish from communicating their needs or be taken care of.

If you go to mass, sit as close as you can to the front. The sound system is poor and it competes with the monstor fans which attempts to cool the church. But no matter where you sit in the church--when it comes time from the sign of peace---members of this communtiy will reach out to you in fellowship. Its a place I intend to visit often.

18 Thank mcmaps