“Night Tour excellent value for $30” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Chicago Urban Adventure Cruise
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Experience the best of Chicago aboard a Mercury cruise. Take in the Chicago River and Lake Michigan Skyline on a relaxing boat ride while our lively commentators bring the city to life with fun facts and stories about Chicago's rich history. A fun time the whole family can enjoy! Tours include Urban Adventure Cruise (daytime River/Lake cruise), Chicago by Night Cruise (evening River/Lake cruise), 3D Fireworks Cruise (summer Wed/Sat) and our popular Canine Cruise (summer Sat/Sun).
Kansas City, Kansas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Night Tour excellent value for $30”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

My wife and I enjoyed the night tour, which cost us $30 per person. It started at 8pm and lasted until around 9:30. We started on the Chicago river at Michigan Ave. and sailed West along Upper Wacker then turned South along Lower Wacker. We reached Willis (Sears) Tower, then turned around and retraced our route. We passed our origination point and went out into Lake Michigan, traveling along the coast a bit Northward then Southward to the museum district. We then sailed back to our origination point.

It was a pleasant atmosphere on board, with everyone on the top open-air deck throughout most of the tour. The bottom, enclosed, deck contained a bar offering drinks (not included in the ticket price). We did not get splashed with water during the trip.

The views of Chicago during this tour were amazing. Within the city, we were afforded great views of several Chicago landmark buildings. Out on the lake, we got amazing views of the Chicago skyline. These views, after sundown with the city lights, were alone worth the ticket price. This is a great chance for photography, but be sure you have a fast lens...the boat is pretty stable on the river but out on the lake it's a little choppy. Exposures longer than 1/10 second will be blurry.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of our tour guide. He was amazing, though. His love of architecture and the city of Chicago were quite apparent. In fact, I assumed he majored in architecture but he said his degree is in music composition. He gave fairly detailed information about 15-20 buildings. He also talked about the Chicago River, Navy Pier, and other areas along the Chicago shoreline. He's probably one of the best tour guides I have ever had.

The boat (just the top deck) had ample seating. It was perhaps 1/3 full with maybe 25 people (this is a gross estimate).

Visited August 2013

Cumming, Iowa
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Very cool adventure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

As many times as I have visited Chicago for business and pleasure, I had Not been on a river/lake cruise. So this past weekend we took e plunge ($28/ticket) and took the Urban adventure cruise. This was recommended to us over the architecture cruise only because of the attention span required for the architecture cruise. We still had a nice history of the architecture on the Chicago river, but we were also allowed several breaks to walk around talk with friend and take many pictures. We were taken through the locks onto Lake Michigan and enjoyed the panoramic view from the lake as well. Excellent and knowledgeable tour guide who know his history and the architecture of the city. Wonderful time on a fabulous weather day. Be prepared, the river is much warmer than the lake. Once we got out to the lake, the winds picked up nicely and cooled us off from being quite warm while in the river.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank kafek8t
Edgerton, Wisconsin
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A lot of Chicago for a little money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

I did a 90 minute cruise this week with 4 friends. It was part architectural cruise on the river and part lake tour of the Chicago skyline. The guide shared a lot of information, was great with answering our questions. I was impressed that we got so much info and fun for just $29. I would definitely do this cruise again.

Visited July 2013
hickory, nc
103 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“superb morning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

For a small price--$15--I enjoyed a harbor tour with music and a description of the most prominent buildings. This cruise is a better value than the river tour, which is tedious and overly detailed.

Visited July 2013
Lenexa, Kansas, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Add to the "must see" when in Chicago list!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

We took an architecture cruise down the river. Great way to see all the buildings, but the tour guide added all kinds of neat, historic tidbits of information which made it not just a visual attraction , but great attraction all the way around. I brought my 13 yr old son and if you ask him what his "favorites" in Chicago were, the cruise was #1. I would highly recommend this!

Visited June 2013