“"The Last Ship"”
Review of CIBC Theatre

CIBC Theatre
Ranked #89 of 683 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Broadway In Chicago was created in July 2000 and over the past 15 years has grown to be one of the largest commercial touring homes in the country. A Nederlander Presentation, Broadway In Chicago lights up the Chicago Theater District entertaining up to 1.7 million people annually in five theatres. Broadway In Chicago presents a full range of entertainment, including musicals and plays, on the stages of five of the finest theatres in Chicago's Loop including the Cadillac Palace Theatre, CIBC Theatre, Oriental Theatre, and the Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University and just off the Magnificent Mile, the Broadway Playhouse at Water Tower Place.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We saw "The Last Ship" June 20, 2014 and the play is wonderful I do agree with the previous reviews about not being able to see the stage when the actors are on the very front of the stage. We sat in the balcony 4 rows from the ledge. But, please don't let this be a reason not to see this play. The music, story line, and actors/actresses are wonderful.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"great seats"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Theatre is one of the beautiful old theaters we have in Chicago. I feel so fortunate to enjoy productions as well done as The Last Ship. It has become one of my favorites and I hope to see it again someday. The only problem I found with the theater was that when the actors were in the very front of the stage, the people in front of us kept leaning over obstructing our view. We were in the mezzanine in the fifth row.(these were not cheap seats). I would think the people who produce the shows are aware of this. I also feel that people attending the performances need to be aware of their surroundings . As an added bonus we sae Sting getting out of a car while we were waiting to get ours.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The theatre itself is an older smaller venue reminiscent of West End theaters in London so none of the seats are very far from the stage. Ornate decor from early in the last century is charming and our seats were comfortable.
At intermission there was a rush for the ladies room but the ushers did a magnificent job of crowd control to keep the line flowing.

The current production of The last Ship was fantastic. Miss it and you will live to regret it.

1  Thank Roadbirds
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Just to Clarify....The Theater is the Average Rating...Performance was 5Star Excellent!!!! Bank of America theater is not my favorite of the Chicago downtown theaters. The balcony Seats should ALL be categorized "obstructed View" except for the first Row...Because you have to lean forward and sit on the edge of your seat to see the entire stage! That's is, of course unless the person in front of you is practically standing up to see the stage...then Forget it...you won't See half the stage!...Theater Etiquette People!!... not so difficult to understand. :) The performance we Saw Last night.....More than Made up for the Seat location! We saw The Last Ship and all I can Say...is GO SEE IT!!!!!!. I was not sure this would be my favorite play...we had seen Phantom of the Opera a few weeks back...and it is hard to beat that one...But this Play Did Just That!!!...Blew Phantom out of the water as far as Performance, Music, THe sets...I just cannot describe...What an Experience and again..GO SEE IT!!!.. Thank you Sting...Amazing Composer and did such a great job with this Music...Amazing!!!!! I was so amazed at what I was seeing and hearing from the stage..... I forgot about the seats!...a great deal with Broadway in Chicago theater series purchase so can't complain seeing a world Class performance for only $15.00 :))))))) Just be aware.

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was thrilled to see "The Last Ship" premiere here last week and really enjoyed the beautiful, historic venue. Comfortable seats and a relatively small stage so I don't think there is a bad seat in the house. The suite service is well worth it, I had a hard time finding in my research what it includes but by purchasing the suite service you get access to a private lounge (not fancy) with PRIVATE BATHROOMS (which the women will appreciate at intermission) as well as a complimentary bar (and you can take drinks in the theater) as well as a vegetable tray and finger sandwiches. At intermission you can go back in and refresh your drink, and they had a small dessert tray available. It was well worth the extra expense!

4  Thank luckyno39