“Nice Theatre”
Review of CIBC Theatre

CIBC Theatre
Ranked #68 of 667 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Broadway In Chicago was created in July 2000 and over the past 15 years has grown to be one of the largest commercial touring homes in the country. A Nederlander Presentation, Broadway In Chicago lights up the Chicago Theater District entertaining up to 1.7 million people annually in five theatres. Broadway In Chicago presents a full range of entertainment, including musicals and plays, on the stages of five of the finest theatres in Chicago's Loop including the Cadillac Palace Theatre, CIBC Theatre, Oriental Theatre, and the Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University and just off the Magnificent Mile, the Broadway Playhouse at Water Tower Place.
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This theater is nice, but not super ornate. The staff are friendly, and managed to help me out with a ticket issue, without too much stress. Most people don't go to theaters to look at the theater itself, they go for the show. This place does the job. Try not to sit in the balcony. The angle is not great and you can't see the front of the stage. I still enjoyed the show without seeing 20% of the stage.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Sorry to say but Sting's attempt at a musical is a titanic waiting for an iceberg. The musical was slow and boring, I found myself snoozing a few times. Bank of American theater was typical old theater with small uncomfortable seats. Glad I was sitting with family as I'd feel uncomfortable invading a stranger's personal space.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I have been here a number of times for different shows. While the venue is decorated beautifully that's about where the good theater going aspects end. I generally prefer a small intimate theater over a large and impersonal one but the Bank of America Theater needs many improvements to make it that inviting place that you really want to see a show at.

Most importantly and actually fixable is the seat placement. Instead of being staggered they are one in front of the other. It makes it difficult to see over anyone with any sort of height seated in front of you. Also, on my most recent visit, I was in the mezzanine and I found it very difficult to see the front of the stage from my seat. I had to crane forward to see what was going on down there. I think that made it even more difficult for the person behind me to see.

Also, If you aren't seated on the orchestra level, the stairs to the mezzanine and higher are very long, narrow and steep. The elevator isn't really recommended either.

I do like that we can purchase a flute of champagne at intermission when we come here.

2  Thank Hpmicks
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Beautiful Theater. Loved the show, didn't love the long bathroom lines, was happy with the fast bar service during intermission.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The music is the highlight of The Last Ship. Standing ovation for the entire cast. Fred Applegate as Father O'Brien provided skilled levity and stellar performance.

My husband did not want to attend, afterwards he was very glad he did.

I would include this experience or a theater experience in one's vacation experience. No, I do not attend theater in my daily life.

Seating: I recommend the floor level far sides over center balcony. If you want out of the heat, great air conditioning. Take a jacket or scarf. Business casual attire or tasteful vacation attire is acceptable at afternoon performances. A great break from all of the walking.
Ages that attended: 75,50,20. Other activities: Segway, Hancock Building.