“Wonderful bar and dinner”
Review of Union League Club

Union League Club
Ranked #130 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I went there with a friend of mine and his colleagues. We first enjoyed an atmosphere typical of a quiet high level English pub, with plenty of choice for Appetizers. then we moved one level lower into the restaurant. I ate one of the best steaks I ever eat in my life, perfectly made. Also the "antipasti" were very good, as the Wine. Service was always prompt and nice and we could entertain ourselves in Spanish

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 January 2013

The Union League Club is simply the best private club in the country. Great food, wonderful people, and beautiful amenities. They have made a lot of upgrades over the past few years and it can't be beat. To stay downtown in the loop for the prices it's great. You'll need to have reciprocal privileges through another club, but if you are in Chicago I say take advantage of the opportunity.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mja1982
Reviewed 14 December 2012

It was only one night so I decided to stay at the Union League Club based only on it's proximity to my meeting. Room 1030 turned out to be small but nicely appointed. The bathroom had been renovated fairly recently in marble. The shower was really beautiful.
Gilchrist & Sames toiletries completed a nice experience.
On the minus side the bed spread and padded bench were both stained. The carpet was just beginning to show wear but was clean.
The service was good and the ambience was even better. This is a little gem that I'd rate 3 stars overall with some 4 star touches.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2012

If you want something different, this certainly fits the bill. It is not a chain and the staff are very efficient and courteous.

I stayed overnight here as part of a business conference and had never stayed here before. But I got the feeling that the Club is mainly designed for wealthy white male Republicans and their (male) offspring. I am not sure why I got this feeling, but I did. I wasn't the only person who felt that way though. I sat at a table for lunch with 6 other people (females and a gay male) and and all of them agreed they got that same vibe. Which is not to say the Club isn't nice or well-kept. It is both. But you feel almost as if someone is going to come up and tap you on the shoulder and ask where your husband is at and whether you wouldn't be more comfortable waiting for him in your room.

The day of checkout, I took the elevator to the lobby and was met by a nightmarish scene of screaming children in their holiday best as they were there for some kind of "get your photo taken with Santa" event. It was a sea of white faces, unless you count the staff. This was surprising to me in a city as diverse as Chicago. But it reinforced the "whites only" feeling that I got when I arrived.

The room itself was unexceptional. The bed felt too soft and several of the table lamps had burned out bulbs. Bedside plugs were not convenient to get to, and the bedside alarm didn't work. I also found a cleaning rag on the bed in my room when I arrived. The bathroom was very small and didn't have a heater, which surprised me in a city as cold as Chicago. There was also a hair in the sink when I checked in, which was kinda gross. However, the towels were nicer than you find in most chains, and the bath products were also high grade.

On the plus side, the room service was wonderful! I was exhausted and didn't feel like going out, so I ordered from the very reasonably priced menu. The food arrived quickly and was exactly as I ordered it. I was very pleased!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms on the 3rd and 4th floors as those are the floors where breakfast and lunch are...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AmyH267
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We belong to a suburban country club and had "reciprocity" or privileges to stay at the Union League Club of Chicago. My husband and I enjoyed a one night get-away from our young children. Check-in was easy and polite. We stayed in a suite. The room was clean and in good shape. Our bed was extremely comfortable with the pillow top mattress. The bathroom was clean and in perfect condition. We loved the robes. Breakfast came at exactly the time we requested and was fine. The club/hotel is historic and in great condition. The bars were quaint. The dining rooms were very nice. I guess we had no complaints at all. If you can stay here, you should.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I have also posted a review about the greatness of the ULC but this time I have had also a room. The rates are great and the comfort, size, and coziness of the room outstanding. if you want to be in the city and have great access to the financial district, sights, restaurants - all in walking distance - chose this hotel. Again their valet is great and everyone is so nice. The food at the club is also well done - and it is a great conference, large meeting club. There are rules, which need to be followed but nobody would ever be rude about it - ever.

The library service is very nice. You can book a room to do your phone calls, just sit a round and read and enjoy!

I love this place and now that I know about their great room rates for Chicago for a clean comfortable room - I am even happier about it!

Job well done ULC!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Monkey2013
Reviewed 6 November 2012

After reading about this hotel online (was here as part of a meeting) I was prepped to expect something more.

The meeting rooms, to be sure, are impressive. Room, however, was tiny. Bathroom was so small I could barely get in and out - even in the smallest of NYC hotel rooms I have never had such a small bathroom. They also kept putting the bath mat in the way so that you could not get the door open easily. It got to be a pain.

Amenities were not replenished.

Upon check-in I told the girl at the desk that I would not be staying four nights, only three. She seemed to adjust it. I was forced to actually check out in the middle of the third night due to flight changes because of the approaching hurricane. The staff was gracious in getting me a cab (all duly noted, it turned out, in my file) but I was then charged (I found out with my credit statement a week later) for the fourth night, evidently due to some confusion about my "early departure" on Night Three. They are being kind about rectifying this, but no one can figure out why it happened.

Note to all: they really are on the prowl for those not following orders, One of the trustees of our group wasn't allowed in a restaurant during the week because she was wearing jeans, and I, who own a fourteen-buck Tracfone I only use in emergencies, was sitting in a far corner of the Wigwam restaurant at breakfast speaking quietly with a friend about the upcoming storm and what I needed to do when I was handed a card "requesting" me to get off the cell phone. Wow! Me? Me who doesn't even know the cell number because I use it so infrequently?! So beware: when they say the staff is prepped to make you follow the rules (I wasn't even aware that was a rule) they are,

Room service food was actually not very good..at least the burger. Soup was okay. Room service guy was vey nice and the nicest and most professional employee I met there.

Room Tip: The higher the better - maybe your view won't be blocked by other buildings a stone's throw...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo