“Clean room and so quiet you forget your in the city..”
Review of Union League Club

Union League Club
Ranked #130 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

Nice quiet hotel great for relaxing the rooms are clean and alot of space.Small and I mean tiny bathroom the only down side is to go any where touristy or for great food you need to take a cab and because its in the financial district nothing is open on Sunday even McDonalds was closed

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Crashzone

Reviewed 11 May 2013

As a business traveler, I stayed in ULC for a week. I was very busy and mostly used the Gym and had casual breakfast at the Gym-Pool area. Never had a chance to take an art tour or been in the ULC restaurants. Briefly peeked into the library, wished I had time to spend time in the library. Surprisingly, it was around 6 pm on a Sunday afternoon and realized a woman in the library was having a loud cell phone conversation that was really odd. The casual breakfast at the Gym-Pool area was relaxed had fresh fruit, coffee, tea, hot oatmeal and costs around $9, very reasonable, and it is an honor system.

The building is old and looks like lost its glamour and opulence of its earlier days but I believe can be restored with proper investment. The staff is extremely friendly. The room I stayed is very clean almost similar the room I stayed in Ritz-Carlton. The hall-ways are clean but the carpets, surroundings need upgrade. Wifi infrastructure needs upgrade as it has very poor reception from most of the guest rooms. Even one is lucky to have a better Wifi signal reception; the Internet connection speed is very poor. I was lucky to be one of those best Wifi reception rooms per my earlier request. Even then speed test was showing 2 Mbps downlink. When more than two guests start using the Internet, Internet becomes unusable. In this Internet age, this is not acceptable for business traveler who needs to be connected.

My client reserved the room since I am not a ULC member nor I have any other membership privileges. The common belief is that ULC has better room rates than the surrounding hotels. Maybe so in peak seasons, but the rate maybe cheaper but 20% surcharge for ULC amenities etc. brings and exceeds comparable rates from hotels like Allegro. I paid more than a comparable Allegro. For sure ULC had better rates than W and Marriot of the Loop at the time I was there due to some convention was taking place and both W and Marriot had double the rates I stayed at ULC.

Gym facilities are decent for a basic workout: Cardio, weights, etc. It has basketball, squash courts, a pool. Sauna, Steam rooms are very decent. The shower facilities are very functional but would benefit from a modern upgrade.

Overall, I will certainly stay again for my next business trip as it is conveniently located in the Loop area and close by to most of my clients. My only reservation would be the lack of usable Internet connection bandwidth that I need to perform my work in the evenings. I certainly recommend ULC for business travelers who may not need Internet.

Room Tip: If you need better Wifi reception, ask before check-in. But such rooms would not the views of the ro...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My family has been members of the Union League Club for several years and it's been a dependable, private escape in downtown Chicago. The rooms aren't anything fancy, and it definitely has an older feel to it, so it may not be appealing for a younger crowd. It's ideally suited for the business traveler with plenty of areas for a quiet meeting to take place, workout facilities/pool, and a restaurant that always serves quality food in a civilized atmosphere. The location is great for business, but the area quiets down at night and you'll have to take the train or a taxi to find decent food outside of the club past 5pm. If you are looking for a conservative place to call home several times a year and will use the facilities, then it's worth joining.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I went there with a friend of mine and his colleagues. We first enjoyed an atmosphere typical of a quiet high level English pub, with plenty of choice for Appetizers. then we moved one level lower into the restaurant. I ate one of the best steaks I ever eat in my life, perfectly made. Also the "antipasti" were very good, as the Wine. Service was always prompt and nice and we could entertain ourselves in Spanish

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 January 2013

The Union League Club is simply the best private club in the country. Great food, wonderful people, and beautiful amenities. They have made a lot of upgrades over the past few years and it can't be beat. To stay downtown in the loop for the prices it's great. You'll need to have reciprocal privileges through another club, but if you are in Chicago I say take advantage of the opportunity.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mja1982
Reviewed 14 December 2012

It was only one night so I decided to stay at the Union League Club based only on it's proximity to my meeting. Room 1030 turned out to be small but nicely appointed. The bathroom had been renovated fairly recently in marble. The shower was really beautiful.
Gilchrist & Sames toiletries completed a nice experience.
On the minus side the bed spread and padded bench were both stained. The carpet was just beginning to show wear but was clean.
The service was good and the ambience was even better. This is a little gem that I'd rate 3 stars overall with some 4 star touches.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2012

If you want something different, this certainly fits the bill. It is not a chain and the staff are very efficient and courteous.

I stayed overnight here as part of a business conference and had never stayed here before. But I got the feeling that the Club is mainly designed for wealthy white male Republicans and their (male) offspring. I am not sure why I got this feeling, but I did. I wasn't the only person who felt that way though. I sat at a table for lunch with 6 other people (females and a gay male) and and all of them agreed they got that same vibe. Which is not to say the Club isn't nice or well-kept. It is both. But you feel almost as if someone is going to come up and tap you on the shoulder and ask where your husband is at and whether you wouldn't be more comfortable waiting for him in your room.

The day of checkout, I took the elevator to the lobby and was met by a nightmarish scene of screaming children in their holiday best as they were there for some kind of "get your photo taken with Santa" event. It was a sea of white faces, unless you count the staff. This was surprising to me in a city as diverse as Chicago. But it reinforced the "whites only" feeling that I got when I arrived.

The room itself was unexceptional. The bed felt too soft and several of the table lamps had burned out bulbs. Bedside plugs were not convenient to get to, and the bedside alarm didn't work. I also found a cleaning rag on the bed in my room when I arrived. The bathroom was very small and didn't have a heater, which surprised me in a city as cold as Chicago. There was also a hair in the sink when I checked in, which was kinda gross. However, the towels were nicer than you find in most chains, and the bath products were also high grade.

On the plus side, the room service was wonderful! I was exhausted and didn't feel like going out, so I ordered from the very reasonably priced menu. The food arrived quickly and was exactly as I ordered it. I was very pleased!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms on the 3rd and 4th floors as those are the floors where breakfast and lunch are...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business