“Dining Review”

Ranked #122 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
West Vancouver, Canada
“Dining Review”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just reading "Devil in the White City" which adds colour to our Saturday dinner at the ULC.

We used our reciprocal club privileges from our West Vancouver club to visit the ULC and enjoy what was a fabulous dinner. We're in love with the city and its history and being able to visit an integral part of Chicago's past made for a special evening.

We both had steaks and a wonderful full-bodied La Crema Pinot. Service was perfect. ULC was having their father-daughter ball and there was a great buzz and lots of interesting sites. Unfortunately some of the rooms that house some of ULC's incredible artwork were occupied so my wife and I had to sneak in to view some of the pieces.... my wife looks a lot younger than I and perhaps our access was due more to appearances than to my spy skills. Many of ULC's fine pieces including Monet's Pommiers en fleurs were available to see in the more common areas.

For those who value Chicago's history, the decor, staff and atmosphere are well worth a visit. If we had more time we would also have used the fitness facilities and in hindsight would have used its hotel facilities as the Fairmont Millennium was a great disappointment.

Our ULC visit was a great part of our trip. We must thank the organization that runs the reciprocal club program and also warn ULC members not to expect the same experience should they visit our club in West Vancouver..... it has no history and its food isn't fit for our pooch.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EconomistGuy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is an interesting place to stay. It is very historical and has a great art collection and a very nice library. I was there on business so I appreciated having lots of places to work and not having to stay in my room. But...there is lots of restaurant construction going on so eating options were very limited. The room was very small and I had to be careful because of the business folks right across the way in another building. Very professional staff and a great location. Personally, I like a lower key hotel where there is no dress code and it isn't quite so stuffy. That being said, I thought it was a good experience but just not a great experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Gratefulrich
London
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here three times in the last six months and was fully satisfied on each occasion. Rooms are varied, and it's definitely worth asking for a renovated one, but generally spacious. The staff are always delightful and really make the extra effort of making it feel like a club rather than a hotel. Having stayed at lots of anonymous chains, this is an enjoyable experience. I will come again

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bigcactus
wisconsin
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We had a king-sized bed with couch, etc., probably considered a suite judging by the size of it. My daughter and I visited my husband for the weekend while he was staying there for work. We loved it. The original artwork alone is interesting. Spent a couple of hours one night wandering the place by myself to view all the artwork and architecture. Unbelievable. The library is stunning, more like a museum with a library inside of it. A true pleasure to lounge in there! Of course, since it's a club, it has work out facilities that take up 3 floors. Never crowded. Even has a gym with basketball hoops and lap swim pool. The service was fantastic. Everyone from the person in the kitchen who answered the phone for us to order room service to the people at the front desk when checking in. The meals at The Union League were so good and reasonably priced that we ate there most of the time. The steak, omgosh, one of the best we've ever had. Their 3-ingredient omelet, the best. Beds super comfortable. Pressure in the showers fantastic. That is important to me. The only complaint I really had is that the building was too warm. They don't have individual controls in the rooms so we were warm all the time and had to keep the window open a little. The other thing I didn't like is that we could hear every single word the people next to us were saying, and one night there was a band that boomed through the walls. Otherwise this place was one of the nicest places, and if you get a chance to stay here, do it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank turks
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We were married and stayed at the ULC. Our family stayed as well and we had a wonderful experience. Everyone was attentive and our room was exceptional. Since then, we have stayed there multiple times and love it each time. Everything is taken care of, people are helpful, the lounge is lovely and the dining delightful. We will return each year for sure when visiting family.

Room Tip: We've had several types of rooms, our favorite is a suite. They are larger and I like the "...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mariana7777
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is not as great as billed. My room was the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. My window was about six feet away from a lady working at her desk in an office next door. There are several impressive art works throughout the building. The staff was not very friendly. If you are staying for a conference at this hotel it is ok but for other visits. Look for another hotel.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Rosebowl94991112
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The hotel at Union League is a members only establishment, however, people staying as guests for meetings, conferences, weddings, get member priveleges. There are several restaurants, spa, and gym. Rooms vary in size, but are typically tiny. The facility is staffed with bellmen, doormen, and concierges, but don't expect much from them. I had to help an elderly Lady out of a car because the doorman had left his station. The view from the room is of another building. The location is OK, near the Jackson street station and if your business is in the financial district, OK.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple