“Beautiful Hotel with great staff !!!!”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #45 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We have stayed two times at this fab hotel , great service , bar , Primehouse , the valet were perfect !!!! The spa ...and in room massage , were wonderful !!! Have a drink at the bar ...

Room Tip: ask 4 a city view
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank boogieshoes

Reviewed 2 June 2011

I booked The James Hotel through Expedia for a great deal. It really did live up to all the reviews. This was our first visit to Chicago so I wasn't really sure what to expect.

Location: This hotel is close to so much. We were a few blocks from the train that we used to go to Wrigley & the airport. We were able to walk to Navy Pier, Millennium Park, Grant Park, and the beaches. There were shops, and restaurant galore all around us. It was raining the one day, so the complimentary car service took us to our brunch destination. That was very nice and so much better than a cab ride. Also, there is a Trader Joe's across the street where you can get some wine & beer,water, and snacks, rather than using the very expensive mini bar in your room.

Staff: The concierges, doormen, front staff, and housekeeping were all extremely nice, helpful, and professional. We were greeted at our arrival by wishing us a Happy Anniversary. The evening of celebrating our anniversary they even had complimentary desert waiting for us in our room! It was something small but so very thoughtful and made us happy.

The Rooms: We spent a good portion of time in our room for some pre-dinner drinks and TV watching in the morning. We never felt confined. We just had the basic King Room. The room is spacious and the beds are super comfortable. Even the bathroom had plenty of room to get ready and spread all my stuff out. The rooms are cleaned twice a day(turn down service at night, with a treat). It was so nice to come back after a night out, and have the room clean again.

We also went to the gym daily, which was very clean and more than enough machines. Fresh water, towels, and even oranges were available for your workout.

My husband and I loved Chicago and had one of our best vacations. It definitely started with The James and would return if and when we make it back to Chi Town.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jam536
Reviewed 1 June 2011

I enjoyed my night at the James but it didn't leave a lasting impression. The check-in person was friendly but looked at me incredulously when I asked if my $329/night room included breakfast. The room itself was spacious and nicely appointed -- best part was definitely the pillows; they were great. My room was on the third floor and I could hear the noise of the street throughout the night. Checkout was quick and efficient, which was great. Had dinner at the Primehouse (in-hotel restaurant) -- the atmosphere was great but I learned that $70 steak aged in a Himalayan salt chamber tastes remarkably like the $25 variety from my local steakhouse... Overall, no problems with the hotel but it doesn't stick out as somewhere I'd seek out on my next trip to Chicago.

Room Tip: Low-floor rooms on the street side are noisy
2  Thank Anthony N
Reviewed 31 May 2011

From the moment we arrived at The James Chicago my Birthday was amazing!
The service was first class. They never missed a beat. The staff's smiles, hello's and have
a great day made our stay enjoyable. The room was clean and beautiful.
While staying at the hotel enjoy the Car Service, which was excellent thanks to Craig.
The Concierge recommended great places to dine and tour. We'll be back to enjoy The
James again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
TheJamesGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2011

emeraldglobal25-

Happy Birthday! Thank you for spending it with us and sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor nation.

Really appreciate the kind words about the team, room and cleanliness. Craig is the best and i look forard to sharing your feedback with him. I think our pride in being named one of Chicago's 101 best places to work three years running comes through in each of those smiles you mentioned and makes me love coming to work everyday.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you back soon!

Reviewed 27 May 2011

I stayed three nights here for business. I booked into a suite and landed on the top floor, the 17th--and bedroom was in corner with windows on both sides. Terrific view. Service was top-notch, room very comfortable, suite was nicely decorated and served our purposes well. I think the price was nearly $500 a night for the suite, which is a lot of money, but Chicago rooms are expensive and we needed the extra room. They lend out free umbrellas when it's raining and location is really great. Across the street is a great little cafe called E.Leaven, a Starbucks, and aTrader Joe's. About one block from Michigan Ave. All in all, highly recommended if you have the money to spend. Oh, and they offered free wi-fi.

1  Thank Lolansky

Jkatajhina-

Thank you for your great reveiw of The James Chicago. We appreicate your business and for taking time to post about your experiences.

While Chicago rates are on the rise, I appreciate you noting the extra values you used at the James including plenty of space, free wi-fi and our gigantic umbrellas. In addition, our Business lounge in the lobby and 2000 sq ft exclusive Gym are free to guest. We also have bikes that you can use during your stay to keep up with your fitness goals or just explores our great city and complimentary car service in the central business district to keep your expenses in line.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 25 May 2011

I just came from a seven night stay at the James and had a wonderful experience at the hotel The rooms were great, the bedding was wonderful, the staff was friendly, and the location was great. I was there producing a commercial and everyone on my team enjoyed it. The only two challenges we had were 1) a few days the internet was VERY SLOW. 2) In the bathroom, the shower controls are such that you inevitably get wet trying to turn on the shower (but nothing will change that short of a bathroom redesign). And...don't cross the woman in the restaurant and go in and seat yourself if you don't see her---you will be in "trouble." Other than that---a wonderful experience and hope to get back soon.

p.s. I had never looked up at the hotel exterior until...the day we left. From the outside---the hotel isn't great looking----but is completely different inside. So if any brochures show the outside of the hotel and you think maybe "not"---ignore the picture. The hotel is wonderful and beautifully redone inside.

1  Thank WorldTravelerAsia

WorldTravelerAsia

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at The James Chicago. We appreciate your business and the feedback.

We have recently upgraded our High Speed internet and are working to deliver more consistent speed by balancing our distributuion of band width between Public Space and Guest Room. Please keep me posted if you return on how we're doing. Sorry about the Breakfast seating police. While we like to keep tabs on who's sitting wear, we certainly want you to feel welcome and if we're not there to greet you, come on in and have a seat.

Thanks again for sharing and I hope you tell everyone you know in Production about the place to stay while shooting in Chicago.

Reviewed 19 May 2011

We stayed at The James Hotel for 3 nights for a mini vacation. We read countless reviews and chose this hotel as all reviews seemed to be very positive! This was our 3rd trip to Chicago but our first time at The James. We stayed on the 15th floor and the room was spacious enough for 2 people. No Keihls but the Aveda products were a nice touch. The cleaning staff was great too – the room was always freshened up when we got back from a day out on the town and they did provide turn down service.

The bellmen were very attentive and helpful. I was able to store my luggage there before check-in. The concierge was very helpful and scored us game 1 Bulls vs. Heat tickets which was one of the highlights of our trip. There is also computers near the concierge desk that can be used for free - this was helpful to print boarding passes, etc.

We did enjoy dinner one night in the hotel at David Burke's Steakhouse. Both of our steaks were very good, along with the two side dishes we had - the red corn special and the amazing fries. We had breakfast twice within the hotel. The James Omelet received rave reviews from my boyfriend and I had great breakfasts each day - the Banana pancakes and the Cinnamon French toast! Both were delicious. The morning & evening wait staff were wonderful.

The location couldn't have been any better for us. It was so close to everything...shopping, restaurants, pubs, etc. We also walked to the Architectural boat cruise from our hotel. The taxi fare from the O'Hare airport was about $45.

The hotel fitness area was very spacious and had great cardio & weight equipment - this was another reason we chose the James in the first place!

The only two negatives of our stay was that we were near the elevator (1507) which was loud at night and 2 of the 3 nights we were woken up due to our neighbors using their room as a party room. I did not want to call down to reception and ruin their fun but I felt we didn't have a choice as the party went on from 1AM-4AM. The reception said they would send security up (at 2AM-ish) but there was never a noise reduction. I did mention something the next day to reception and only an apology was given - maybe I should have pressed more?

All in all, the James Hotel was a great stay and it was a fun weekend getaway.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reese6-

First and foremost, LOVE your profile picture. I'm a long time Golden owner and have never met one that wasn't a great companion (I hope he/she was able to travel with you as we're a pet friendly hotel)

I really appreciate the detailed review. I think you hit on all areas of the hotel and am thrilled that you enjoyed each of them. While dinner is a slam dunk in Primehouse, my favorite meal period is breakfast and we do it rigth! I'm like to customize the James Omelet with a little goat cheese and basil, delicious! I'm also glad that you were able to see the ONLY game worth watching in the Bulls/Heat series (sorry Miami based Tripadvisors...). Sorry about the "party" next door. We should have done a better job controlling and making sure they weren't disruptive to other guests.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and for staying with us. Hope you are able to come back soon (with your Golden!)

Best,