“Does not measure up to Conrad and Sofitel....” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The James Chicago

The James Chicago
Ranked #45 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Does not measure up to Conrad and Sofitel....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

I really want to like this hotel. It was categorized as 4.5 stars in hotwire which is the same category for the Conrad and Sofitel where I both stayed in. Unfortunately it doesn't measure up. to those 2. I wont focus on the good points which it has a lot such as location, cleanliness, modern touches and aesthetics all those reviews you find here point that out already and they are true. This is a fun, hip, trendy hotel, party place for party people but that might not suit everyone's needs.

However, my experience wasnt that satisfactory. It wasnt a really busy day so I was able to check in early - wonderful. I called a day before and I asked for a very quiet room with 2 beds and they put me in 406 which was very noisy - not a good way to start. Its just right across the elevators and It was facing ontario and when vehicles blow their horn which happens quite a lot, you will feel that it is honking right at you. The comforter was busting at the seams and i woke up with cotton alll over the floor. I called the front desk and talked to Chris(?) and I told her my need for a real quiet room and she did.move me to 814. It took care of the honking noise but the walls are too thin that I can hear my neighbors talking and laughing and it is one of the biggest nightmares for the light sleeper. I was too tired to move so I just stayed there. The room is also across the supplies room so whenever the cleaning people are doing their thing and congregating there, it gets really noisy. It was also very disappointing that they put me in a wheelchair accessible room which does not make it functionally appropriate for me. In 814, there are no counter space in the bathroom,, no tub, the shower has no divider so it spills all over, etc etc.

I also had to work that day so I brought my laptop and I realized this does not pass for work purposes. I used voip and the connection was awful, issues that I never came across in other hotels, no APPROPRIATE work space. I had an 800 bridge number and if I had to dial from the hotel to call a toll free number I get charged per minute (this one might be a normal thing for hotels downtown).

The good news is that internet is free but that is true for a lot of hotels like Conrad and Sofitel. The other good thing about this hotel is that the checkout is at 2pm instead of the usual noon. Service is also not bad.

I am not planning to be back. Maybe this is what hotwire customers get who knows but for the same rates maybe just a bit higher, if the Conrad or Sofitel is available (there are ways to tell in hotwire), I would definitely be choosing them over the James

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Dear AlexRobin,

I would like to apologize for shortcomings that you experienced during your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is our aim to deliver an outstanding experience to all of our guests, regardless of their booking outlet, and I sincerely apologize that we fell short of your expectations as well as our own. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline at jameschicagogm@jameshotels.com and I hope that we can change your mind about staying with us again.

Stephen Blackford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Korean first
Calumet City, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

I stayed for the weekend Fri-Mon. I received a corner room not facing the front of the building but the side. Good view :) the room was clean, no weird smells and the bed was awesome! Clean white sheets with NO BED BUGS! I could barely get the energy to get out of bed it was that comfortable. The lobby was clean and laid back. Housekeeping accidentally took my own personal towels I brought from home and kindly replaced them with beautiful Ralph Lauren towels and wash clothes( GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE) Of course all the snacks and beverages in the fridge, on the bar and in the cabinet are over priced but hey what do you expect at a high end hotel downtown?? Bring your own booze, snacks and other drinks you'll be better off. The hotel is within walking distance to Michigan Ave, restaurants and other shopping stores. Pleasant stay you won't be disappointed unless your just a natural born A hole.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Kelly32084
Dear Kelly32084,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear that our comfortable beds made your weekend trip magnificent. I apologize for the mix-up regarding your towels, but am glad to hear that our housekeeping department made it up to you. Thank you again for staying and we hope to see you again soon!

New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

Just returned from my 4th stay at The James, though this was my first weekend stay, first pleasure visit and the first stay for my husband and (almost 10 yr old) daughter. They were sold out, but were still able to accommodate a last minute request to change room types. My daughter had seen a picture of the rooms with media nooks on line and was dying to stay in one. Frankly, it was a good move, as that kept a roll-away bed out of our room and our daughter got her own king or queen sized bed (in the nook).
Service was quick, friendly and polite. Staff really made our daughter feel comfortable, which made my husband and me relax. We ate breakfast at David Burke's Primehouse each morning - food and service were great. We also made a last minute reservation for Saturday night dinner. They accommodated us and though service was formal, it wasn't at all stuffy. The sommelier recommended a fabulous wine, the staff treated our daughter like an adult....and therefore she behaved like one, but they still had a kid's menu available (kid sized filet mignonette, anyone?). Our dinner was delicious, and though a little pricey for a family outing, the ambiance, attentive service and top quality of the experience made a good value any way you look at it.
Location was perfect - walking distance from shopping, sights and restaurants. We took advantage of the hotel car to get down to the Art Institute one morning, and the driver recommended we enter at the Modern Wing, as there tend to be lines at the other entrance -- the insider info saved us a lot of waiting time.
The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The beds and linens are very comfortable. The media nook was perfect for a family movie (the front desk loans out movies) on our last night when we were too tired to head out. Bathroom was roomy and having a stall shower is so much better than the chain hotel bath tub-with-a-shower-curtain set up. My daughter had one complaint about our stay -- it was too short because we didn't have time to have a Wii sent up to the room to play games.
I plan to stay at The James again when I'm back in Chicago. Hope to try out the other locations at some point, too. It's is a truly great boutique hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Dear b028047,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We truly appreciate your loyalty to us and are especially glad that your husband and daughter had an enjoyable experience their first time here. I am also glad that the attentive service at David Burke's Primehouse made it worthwhile and that you plan to return. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Petrolia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

We have been lucky enough to stay at the James Hotel several times in the last few years and each time it is like coming home. The very fun lobby bar and the great staff are noteworthy. The decor feels european and all the amenities are great. It's location is perfect for setting off on foot for all Chicago's best sites. The conceirge has made our vacation on more than one occasion. We arrive at each suggested locale and been treated like royalty. I will choose the James again for my next trip to Chicago.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JanicePetrolia
Dear JanicePetrolia,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We are humbled by your compliment that you consider us your second home and are pleased to hear that this is not the first time that our outstanding concierge team has made your experience a great one. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit!

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

we drove to chicago to celebrate my husbands birthday. we have a 3 year old and a five year old and we were so pleased that this groovy hotel was fun and welcoming to all of us. i loved the aesthetics, the reading/writing/craft nook in the room was awesome, and all the staff was great. we loved the cute paul frank kid goodies and having trader joes across the street for our many snack needs was a real perk. the hotel birthday cupcakes were over the top- a real treat. great location. we'd love to stay at this hotel on our next visit.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear Loop89,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We are glad that we were able to be a part of your husband's birthday celebration, and that your children enjoyed the Paul Frank amenities. I am honored that you hope to stay here again; we all look forward to seeing you next time!

cincinnati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

This is a very nice little hotel. The price was right, the room was small but nicely furnished, and the location was perfect. Staff was friendly and the hotel restaurant had a good, reasonable breakfast. I'd stay again

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Dear lewwallace,

Thank you for sharing about your recent stay at The James Chicago. We appreciate your kind compliments of our friendly staff and enjoyable breakfast at David Burke's Primehouse. Most of all, I am glad to see that you would stay with us again; we look forward to your next visit!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

From the moment we arrived at The James we felt pampered. The staff was helpful and very friendly. The room is spacious, well-supplied, and very comfortable. We were able to walk to many great restaurants, shops and museums from this excellent location.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Jackie652,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is great to hear that our comfortable rooms, convenient location, and our amazing staff all attributed to making your experience a great one. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!