“The James The Best”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #46 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 14 December 2013

From the moment the reservation was made through check-in and check-out to using the complimentary car to take us to the rr station, one couldn't ask for anything more.Service and customer satisfaction seem to be the hallmarks of The James. Escellent location especially if you have no car.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Robert C,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear you had a great experience with us, particularly from enjoying our complimentary house car service. I am truly honored by your compliments of our service, as it our aim to provide a memorable experience for all of our guests. Thank you again for writing and I look forward to welcoming you back to The James soon!

There are newer reviews for The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I grabbed a cab to the airport after staying at the hotel for a couple days for an event, and inadvertently left my computer on a table in the ballroom. Subconscious attempt to escape from work and all that little beast represents but, in the end, I needed to get it back quickly and securely. Mariza, working at the front desk, was kind enough to locate it for me (sitting right where I left it, hours later), and made arrangement to get it to the right people in the hotel to get it back to me. That turned out to be the concierge, Laurelin, who communicated with me at every step to arrange to ship it where I needed it to go, and make sure it got back to me when I needed it. Thanks to them both, and to the St. James for a top to bottom A-1 experience.

Dear SusuSha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your story from your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad that our staff was able to promptly assist with your missing laptop and made an impression with their exemplary service while doing so. I appreciate your compliments of us, and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 13 December 2013

We checked in and the hotel was nice. The room seemed nice until we started to unpack. There is only one drawer in the room, located underneath the mini-bar. When we opened it, the lone drawer was filled with used tissues, old pizza boxes, empty water bottles with a dark brown residue, reminiscent of tobacco spit, as well as other "garbage." I called downstairs and was told "sorry". So we assumed it would be cleaned the following morning since there was no offer to clean it that night. Came back to the room the following afternoon, and the garbage was still there. After the second call to the front desk, where I offered to keep the drawer open so that it couldn't be missed, was the garbage finally cleared. We come to Chicago several times a year for business. We won't be staying there again.

1  Thank Maria T

Dear Maria T,

I would like to take this opportunity to personally apologize for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay. We pride ourselves on our high standard of cleanliness and I am sorry for this unfortunate oversight. This does not reflect our attention to detail and I have followed up with our housekeeping department to rectify this issue. I am disappointed that this affected your stay to such a degree and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline. I can be reached at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

The james has maintained its quality and the location can't be beat. An added plus it is located across fro Eataly, Chicago's newest go to place. It's also located one block from Michigan Avenue and the Miracle Mile.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear StanLee0413,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. We are delighted to have you back again and glad that you enjoyed your return visit as much as the first. We truly appreciate your continued loyalty to us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

I had a truly fabulous experience at the James. The hotel is in the perfect location; super walkable to all the great shops and museums downtown, and there's a Trader Joe's right across the street. The hotel itself has a very hip, modern boutique vibe and the beds are ridiculously cozy. What impressed me most about this place (aside from the hyper-stocked mini bar) was how friendly and helpful the staff were. I'd come back in a heart beat.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear HeyJCJC,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is truly an honor to hear your compliments about our team's hospitality, and that it was their efforts that made your stay a great one. Thank you again for writing, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is like. 2/3 star Europe hotel. So expensive for a creepy small room. Walls are paper thin- could hear a man vomiting next to us the whole night! I usually love hanging out in Chicago hotel rooms- my sister, mom, and I could not wait to leave. The bathroom door was a loud, heavy, creaking sliding door! Limits privacy!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Katherine J
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Katherine J,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with us at The James Chicago. I am sorry to hear about your negative experience while with us; the stay you described is simply not up to our high standards and I am truly sorry that we missed your expectations, and our own. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline to rectify this negative experience; I can be reached at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. I look forward to speaking with you soon and regaining your confidence in us.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

It is in the centre of things, just a street away from Michigan avenue. The staff is very helpful and goes out of its way to make you feel comfortable. The doormen are excellent at hailing cabs and in general helping you with stuff.

Dear Bhavin_Jankharia,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that your experience with us was a great one, thanks to our location and the excellent service provided by our doormen. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and I hope that we will welcome you back the next time your travel plans return you to Chicago!