“Not worthy of the price paid”
Review of The James Chicago

The James Chicago
Ranked #44 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, IL
“Not worthy of the price paid”
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Spent one night at The James as part of our annual anniversary night out in Chicago. We always choose one of Chicago's luxury hotels but were very disappointed in The James. First, the door to our room required a combination of calistenics to open (pull handle turn left then right, the retry the key). We told a housekeeper in the hall about it and she said she would notify someone but it was never fixed. We discovered late at night the TV in the bedroom did not work (too late to bother calling for repair). It took 45 minutes to get ice and 30 minutes for the $60 valet to get us our car. This is not the service we have received at other luxury hotels in Chicago costing similar to The James.

Also, if you stay there, do not try to sit on the sofa. It is the most uncomfortable piece of furniture in the existence of room furnishings. There is a hard metal bar that is right in your back. You have to move every pillow in the room to make it even remotely comfortable, which we had to do to watch TV since the only TV in our room that worked was the one in the living area, since the bedroom one was broken.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear jrgray,

I would like to take this opportunity to personally apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with us at The James. The experience you described with the door and subsequent lack of response is disappointing to hear, as it is clear we did not meet your expectations or our own. I am very sorry that this occurred and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you personally offline at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. I hope that we can re-coup your confidence in us and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Stephen Blackford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Loved this hotel in so many ways. Fabulous service. quaint. attention to detail was surprising and appreciated!
Loved the room and the convenience. Room service was amazing. I will go back and stay at this hotel again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Robinn M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, thanks to our room service and focus on service. Most of all, I am honored that your first stay with us will not be your last and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Chicago
Reviewed 16 December 2013

There are lots of great places to stay in Chicago, but not many where you can get an amazing meal, sit at a really great bar and/or grab a quick bite that's really unique. The James Hotel offers all of the above, and exceptional products in the rooms to boot!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Sheila B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted by your compliments of our hotel, and glad that our unique dining options at David Burke's Primehouse and Burke's Bacon Bar, as well as our lobby bar and new cocktail lounge Jimmy. I appreciate your generous recommendation and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

North Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We were staying there for a few weeks in the month of September during which hotel was very busy. We loved our stay in The James Hotel as it has a great location, amazing ambience and atmosphere. The staff is the James always was friendly and very pleasant since the moment we arrive at the hotel to the last minute of our stay. They was always happy to assist, was smiling and also was welcoming us back everyone we came back to hotel from the city.

The rooms are great, especially a studio suite which we stayed has a very comfortable bed and we like the living room area as we'll.

The restaurant David Burke Primehouse was another Greta memory about our stay, where we tried one of the best steaks ever in our life.

Room Tip: If you would like a room for 2 person of if you traveling as a couple ask for a Studio Suite which i...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Artur A,

Thank your for taking the time to share about your experience with us at The James Chicago. I am truly honored by your compliments of our amazing team and David Burke's Primehouse, and that it was a great experience for your entire family. Thank you again for writing, and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Lake Bluff, Illinois
Reviewed 14 December 2013

From the moment the reservation was made through check-in and check-out to using the complimentary car to take us to the rr station, one couldn't ask for anything more.Service and customer satisfaction seem to be the hallmarks of The James. Escellent location especially if you have no car.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Robert C,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear you had a great experience with us, particularly from enjoying our complimentary house car service. I am truly honored by your compliments of our service, as it our aim to provide a memorable experience for all of our guests. Thank you again for writing and I look forward to welcoming you back to The James soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I grabbed a cab to the airport after staying at the hotel for a couple days for an event, and inadvertently left my computer on a table in the ballroom. Subconscious attempt to escape from work and all that little beast represents but, in the end, I needed to get it back quickly and securely. Mariza, working at the front desk, was kind enough to locate it for me (sitting right where I left it, hours later), and made arrangement to get it to the right people in the hotel to get it back to me. That turned out to be the concierge, Laurelin, who communicated with me at every step to arrange to ship it where I needed it to go, and make sure it got back to me when I needed it. Thanks to them both, and to the St. James for a top to bottom A-1 experience.

Dear SusuSha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your story from your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad that our staff was able to promptly assist with your missing laptop and made an impression with their exemplary service while doing so. I appreciate your compliments of us, and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We checked in and the hotel was nice. The room seemed nice until we started to unpack. There is only one drawer in the room, located underneath the mini-bar. When we opened it, the lone drawer was filled with used tissues, old pizza boxes, empty water bottles with a dark brown residue, reminiscent of tobacco spit, as well as other "garbage." I called downstairs and was told "sorry". So we assumed it would be cleaned the following morning since there was no offer to clean it that night. Came back to the room the following afternoon, and the garbage was still there. After the second call to the front desk, where I offered to keep the drawer open so that it couldn't be missed, was the garbage finally cleared. We come to Chicago several times a year for business. We won't be staying there again.

1 Thank Maria T
Dear Maria T,

I would like to take this opportunity to personally apologize for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay. We pride ourselves on our high standard of cleanliness and I am sorry for this unfortunate oversight. This does not reflect our attention to detail and I have followed up with our housekeeping department to rectify this issue. I am disappointed that this affected your stay to such a degree and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline. I can be reached at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I look forward to speaking with you soon.