“Great location, Great value, Beautiful hotel”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #45 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago
“Great location, Great value, Beautiful hotel”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I stayed at The James Chicago for an overnight business trip. I had stayed at the Soho location before, but this Chicago location exceeded my expectations. I arrived early prior to my check-in time, and instead of asking me to wait and holding my bags, I received a room upgrade! The room was spacious and clean. The bed was incredibly comfortable. And I loved the Intelligent Nutrients toiletries in the bathroom. The hotel staff was very friendly throughout my brief stay, and the location is close to great shopping!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear Jennifer W,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is wonderful to hear that our team was able to assist with your early arrival and that their service attributed to a great experience with us. We also appreciate your loyalty to The James brand, and that you enjoyed your trip to Chicago after visiting our location in New York. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The James is located just off Michigan in the heart of downtown Chicago! Very convenient to the many Chicago attractions-which is important when you're there in the winter! It was the perfect place to stay for a long weekend during the holidays! Excellent staff and beautiful, clean facility!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Colleen H,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I appreciate your generous compliments of our facility and wonderful team. Also, it is great that you found our location convenient to the sights you visited while in town with us. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you visit Chicago!

North Pekin
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The doorman was always openning up my wifes door and to the back of the car making sure traffic went around us while we were taking our kid in and out of his car seat. The brought cookies to the room every night which my son loved.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Matthew T,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am proud of the helpful service provided by our doormen, and that your son enjoyed the cookies at turndown each night. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!

Austin, Texas, Usa
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My husband and I stay at The James Chicago once a year for a weekend to catch a BEARS game. The service is always exceptional. The staff are friendly and professional...a few are Packers fans, but it's easily overlooked! I've stayed in both the king apt, loft, and deluxe king. All are great. Very clean and modern, very comfortable beds, and the room is cleaned anytime you leave. The location is perfect and within walking distance of shopping, restaurants, & bars. The hotel bar is a great place to have drinks before heading out; nice cocktail menu. David Burke's Primehouse is AMAZING! There are so many good restaurants to choose from in Chicago, but this is one of my favorites!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Rebecca W,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored by your compliments of David Burke's Primehouse and improved lobby bar, but especially the exceptional service provided by our entire team. Most of all, we truly appreciate your continued loyalty to us when you visit the city. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again next football season!

Chicago, IL
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Spent one night at The James as part of our annual anniversary night out in Chicago. We always choose one of Chicago's luxury hotels but were very disappointed in The James. First, the door to our room required a combination of calistenics to open (pull handle turn left then right, the retry the key). We told a housekeeper in the hall about it and she said she would notify someone but it was never fixed. We discovered late at night the TV in the bedroom did not work (too late to bother calling for repair). It took 45 minutes to get ice and 30 minutes for the $60 valet to get us our car. This is not the service we have received at other luxury hotels in Chicago costing similar to The James.

Also, if you stay there, do not try to sit on the sofa. It is the most uncomfortable piece of furniture in the existence of room furnishings. There is a hard metal bar that is right in your back. You have to move every pillow in the room to make it even remotely comfortable, which we had to do to watch TV since the only TV in our room that worked was the one in the living area, since the bedroom one was broken.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear jrgray,

I would like to take this opportunity to personally apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with us at The James. The experience you described with the door and subsequent lack of response is disappointing to hear, as it is clear we did not meet your expectations or our own. I am very sorry that this occurred and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you personally offline at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. I hope that we can re-coup your confidence in us and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Loved this hotel in so many ways. Fabulous service. quaint. attention to detail was surprising and appreciated!
Loved the room and the convenience. Room service was amazing. I will go back and stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Robinn M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, thanks to our room service and focus on service. Most of all, I am honored that your first stay with us will not be your last and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

There are lots of great places to stay in Chicago, but not many where you can get an amazing meal, sit at a really great bar and/or grab a quick bite that's really unique. The James Hotel offers all of the above, and exceptional products in the rooms to boot!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Sheila B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted by your compliments of our hotel, and glad that our unique dining options at David Burke's Primehouse and Burke's Bacon Bar, as well as our lobby bar and new cocktail lounge Jimmy. I appreciate your generous recommendation and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!