“Cozy Independent Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago
“Cozy Independent Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

The James Hotel was a charming, friendly place to stay in the heart of The Loop. It was calm and comfortable and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. I appreciated the extra touches -- the eco-friendly products, the soothing lighting, and the modern decor.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Jo L,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear you compliments of our décor, Intelligent Nutrients bath products, and most of all, the friendly service provided by our team. Thank you for writing and I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels return you to the city!

Stephen Blackford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Without a doubt this is the best hotel I have had the privilege of staying. The staff at the James are incredible. The door staff, cleaners, receptionists, customer service attendants, waiters, and managers were all wonderful. They were all happy to help me if I needed assistance. I felt like a Queen. My room was extremely comfortable and very clean. I wish I could have tipped everyone. The staff are truly an example of the best of America. The diversity of the staff pleased me greatly and made me so proud to be an American. Whoever hired the James staff needs to be commended. I wish I could stay longer but I have to leave on Sunday. I can't praise the staff enough. Keep up the good work! You're all FANTASTIC!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Claudia m,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. The best compliment we can receive is to hear that it was our team that made your stay special. I am truly honored by your compliments and have shared them with the entire team, as the experience you described is our goal for each and every one of our guests. Thank you again for sharing, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James the next time you visit Chicago!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Trip was part business, part getaway. Outstanding concierge, Bill Marcella, set us up with dinner reservations at wonderful Sepia when my plans fell through. He was great at organizing other activities. Location is great for tourist strolling. Decor is understated sleek but comfortable. Delicious breakfasts at David Burke restaurant. Our room overlooked interior of hotel block so no view, but room itself was spacious. Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear pbe38,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, thanks to our convenient location and most of all, the exemplary service provided by our concierge, Bill. I am honored that your first stay with us will not be your last, and we hope to welcome you back to The James again soon!

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I decided to stay at this hotel with my girlfriend for a nice romantic NYE getaway and we had a great time. We stayed in a loft suite and the room was for the most part excellent. The concierge staff was absolutely amazing and was able to meet my every need in helping me plan rose petals for two nights and champagne to the room and chocolate covered strawberries one night. They were also great in helping me make dinner reservations and reservations for a carriage ride.

The only bad parts of our stay was the tub did not hold water, there was a chip in the sink and the dimmer switch over our bed was broken and would only have one setting of bright! That is the only reason it gets 4 stars as opposed to 5. I will definitely stay here again when I want to go and take my girlfriend downtown for a few days.

Room Tip: the concierge is amazing so if you are trying to figure out something to do downtown or are wanting...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear timothy h,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I appreciate your compliments of our concierge staff and that it was their efforts that made your visit a great one for both you and your girlfriend. I apologize for the issues you experienced in your room; this is certainly not the standard we set and I am sorry that you encountered this during your stay. I am glad that this did not impact an overall pleasant experience, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

The James Hotel was a great Welcome to Chicago! My wife and I arrived late in the night after a delay in NY and it was most pleasing walking into The James. The bar had closed but they saw the look on our faces and did not hesitate to poor us a drink before we went upstairs to our room. The room was massive. Felt like an apartment rather than a hotel room. The following morning we explored the city and could not believe how close we were to everything. A real gem in Chicago!
The staff were amazing and very accommodating to all our needs. It was a real pleasure staying here on our first trip to Chicago.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Diego T,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, thanks to our spacious rooms and especially our accommodating staff. I am honored that you chose to spend you first trip to Chicago with us and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again!

Wheaton, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We have stayed here several times and each one has been a good experience. Staff is very good, rooms are about average for Chicago, location is excellent and it has a great restaurant. Bar is small, but O.K.
One word of caution: during our last two stays we have not been able to control the temperature in our room. Perhaps corner rooms are subject to heat/cooling problems or thermostats do not work in the rooms. Management was made aware of this complaint on both occasions.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear jacy2,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that you are a returning guest, thanks to our location and excellent staff; we very much appreciate you continued loyalty to us. I am sorry to hear about the persistent heating/cooling issues you experienced while with us. We usually send up our engineering staff if you are having trouble regulating the temperature to ensure that both the HVAC system and baseboard heaters are all working correctly in the room and repair if needed. This is not the experience we expect our guests to have and I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline to obtain more information on where you stayed to make sure this is properly addressed. I thank you for your understanding and look forward to speaking with you soon!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Excellent location near Michigan Avenue and CTA. The hotel is very comfortable and clean with simple, modern design. The staff were very friendly. Room service breakfast was very good. Hot cider in the lobby was a nice touch in the winter!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Apphia P,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored by your compliments of our convenient location, comfortable rooms and even the complimentary cider served in the lobby. Most of all, I am delighted that our staff's friendliness attributed to making your visit a great one and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you return to Chicago!