“Best.Stay.Ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

The James Chicago
Ranked #44 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
“Best.Stay.Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed here for my birthday and hosted some friends in one of their one bedroom apartments. Everything was simply great. They allowed me to check-in early so I drop off items and set up for my party that evening. I got my room number and realized it was the same as my birth date. I honestly thought that was the neatest thing.

The apartment itself was great - spacious and furniture easy to move for customizable layout. I absolutely love the dimmer switches in each room - especially the bathroom. Allowed for a great ambiance all night.

Location, staff, room were all great. I'm looking forward to the day I can afford to stay at the Miami and New York locations. :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear StarAlly,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am truly honored that you chose to spend your birthday with us, and that the apartment suite was ideal for your visit. I am grateful to hear that after staying with us, you would like to visit our other locations as well. On behalf of all of us at The James, we wish you a very Happy Birthday and hope that we will see you again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed at The James to celebrate a milestone birthday...........and our experience was exceptional from beginning to end..... Location is perfect! Lobby, bar and rooms nicely done in an urban chic decor as many downtown hotels are.... but the staff we encountered were amazing and that made the difference.

Bernie, Justin & EJ went out of their way and were extremely accommodating....

Last but not least, I want to recognize & thank Scott for adding so many special personal touches during our stay....

Thank you one & all........... we'll be back soon and until then sharing our experience with others.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear CStan10,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is an honor to hear that you chose to spend such a special occasion with us and I am happy to hear that you had a great birthday. The best compliment I can receive is that it was our amazing team that made all of the difference for your visit and I thank you for sharing your compliments. On behalf of the entire James team, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for week in winter while visiting family in Chicago. Overall, the room / stay in the hotel was ok.

The common areas are very swank and urban. I was a little let down with the rooms which were updated but still seemed a little dingy. There was nothing overtly gross; just small things that became more annoying as the stay progressed. The bathroom door would not close completely unless you held it shut. As the toilet was positioned right in front of the door...well, let just say it made for interesting poses while using the toilet. The water also would not drain when taking a shower. Maintenance fixed this by snaking out a hairball (yuck) and this did help. If the room had been cheaper (it was expensive) my expectations would have been lower.

The staff overall was very nice and helpful.

Overall the stay was ok and it is in convenient location in Chicago. I imagine most people who stay here are booking it for its location and not so much the hotel itself. You won't love it but you won't regret it either.

Room Tip: I noticed there are a lot if very good reviews for this hotel. I may have just had a bad room. I wis...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hubbabubba96
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear hubbabubba96,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. Despite some positive aspects of your stay, I am sorry to see that your stay was just okay. We always strive to provide the best experience for our guests, and never want our guests to have just an average stay. The room issues you described simply do not live up to our expectations, and I apologize for any inconvenience that they caused. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

The James Hotel was in a fantastic location. Nothing seemed to be a problem for the staff and despite checking in at 1am everyone was friendly and efficient- just what we needed at that time. The gym facilities were fantastic, and all the little extra things they did like the cookie selection at the turn down service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear 19Lizzie77,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, thanks to our gym and turndown service. Most of all, I am honored that it was our team that made such a great impression, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you visit Chicago!

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We price lined this Chicago Hotel for a last minute weekend and were very happy with the whole experience. The location could not be better one block of of Michigan Ave and in the middle of the whole district. Very Cool décor. Fun bar. That's all we really need. Also, the Staff was extra nice and accommodating . we left a bag on the valet cart on the way home and the FedEx it to my office the next day, very nice touch .and thanks you thank you thank you. Perfect weekend. They should try to fix that cold wind out side the hotel.:)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear stlcorealtycom,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It's delightful to hear that you had a pleasant visit with us, thanks to our convenient location and our updated bar. I appreciate your compliments of our team and that they were so helpful in returning your bag to you in a timely manner. We all certainly wish to get rid of the cold wind in Chicago, but until then, I hope you will return again when the weather is nicer!

Warmest Regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

My wife and I decided to spend a night downtown at the James to celebrate our 30th anniversary of our first date! We're both Chicagoans since birth and stay downtown on occasion but have never stayed at The James before. We were extremely and pleasantly surprised by the entire experience.

The lobby was nice and the rooms had a European flair. What most stood out, though, was the service and the special treatment. We were met at the front desk by Christine Helen. She was pleasant, ensured we had a wonderful room and gave us advice about the hotel as well. What really topped off the evening when my wife and I returned was a totally unexpected surprise of a chilled bottle of champagne and some treats. To add to that was a signed card by Christine and others on the staff thanking us for celebrating our special night with The James. The next day, as we checked out, we also had a nice conversation with Julie Feingold who gave us a marvelous recommendation for breakfast.

So.. while we were only downtown from 8PM until noon the next day, we had a terrific night at The James thanks to the very attentive and pleasant staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Phil B,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that you chose to spend such a special occasion with us and we are glad that both you and your wife had a great experience. Thank you for your compliments of our staff, especially Christine and Julie, and I am proud that they assisted in making your visit so memorable. Thank you again for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Great location. The staff are wonderful. The attached restaurant is amazing. Great check-in/check-out times (2pm/2pm)!!!!! They were very nice about letting me check out at 3pm. Contemporary hotel with uniquely appointed rooms.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear global1K,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that your experience with us was enjoyable, thanks to our convenient location, complimentary late check-out, and especially, our wonderful team. We all appreciate your generous recommendation to fellow travelers on Trip Advisor and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The James again soon!