“Great location, and great facility”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #43 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Halifax, Canada
“Great location, and great facility”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed there for two days while on business in Chicago. Pleasant and professional staff, clean room, and good food. The location is great and I could walk to the office. Would not hesitate to stay there again

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear charli,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your business trip with us, thanks to our delicious food and our professional staff. I hope that your first stay with us will not be your last, and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Plainfield, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 19 January 2014

If you are looking for the right spot to stay this place is located in the perfect location. You are feet away from Michigan Ave top shopping plus blocks away from the hot spot bars,(Paris Club Sierra Tavern,etc.) I recently stayed during a off weekend between Christmas and New Years and received a great rate. The hotel is clean and the staff is there for everything. Ran into the bar manager at Jimmy who was also at the Miami location a few months prior while I was there. I am from the suburbs and this hotel delivers the city vibe I look for when visiting. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Jeremiah L,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us thanks to our great team and our very convenient location. It is great to hear that you have also visited our Miami Beach property and we appreciate your loyalty. I am truly honored by your recommendation of us to fellow travelers and sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Wellfleet, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We travel to Chicago often and last weekend tried the James based on the good pricing they offered for that weekend. The hotel is very nicely decorated, modern and sleek and clean. The lobby bar is attractive and was very popular the Saturday evening we visited it. Service in the bar and overall was excellent.
However, the room left much to be desired. Comfort has been sacrificed to design. The room was small, which was not in itself an issue especially given the good rate. However, the space that could have been used for a comfy armchair with a good reading light and view of the TV, was instead taken up by two small, backless storage-type ottoman stools that no one would sit on for longer than it took to put on shoes! Below the wall mounted TV was a banquette that was uncomfortable to sit on and in any event faced away from the TV. Useless except for holding your suitcase. And the ONLY lights in the room are strips above the bed headboards (we had two queens) that are controlled by ONE switch, so either both beds have reading lights on or neither do. And there is no where to sit and read except one of the beds!
The bath was nice looking but had a heavy sliding door that was loud to open and close, and a porthole that let way too much light into the bedroom in the middle of the night when the bedroom lights were out. Consequently, a mid- night trip to the bath was likely to wake your roommate.
We will likely not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Barbara2265,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience with us, mostly due to our rooms. It is our aim to provide comfortable yet stylish accommodations, and I am sorry that we did not live up to expectations. I appreciate your honest constructive criticism on what could be changed to better suit our guests. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further offline at jameschicagoGM@jameshotels.com and I hope that we can re-coup your confidence in us.

San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Expected more from the room. Overall positive experience, but not a 4.5 star experience. I'm not sure how this hotel receives such a high rating. The people that work there are phenomenol. Location is great. Room furniture was more for design and not practical to relax on.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank Mr. H
Dear Mr. H,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am disappointed to hear that we did not live up to your expectations for your visit, as it is our aim to ensure that each guest has a great experience. I am glad that you felt our service was phenomenal; it is our focus to provide excellent service which we feel sets us apart and makes our guests' visits memorable. I appreciate your candid feedback regarding the furnishings as we are always looking for ways to improve and thank you for your suggestions. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and I very much hope that we will have the opportunity to re-coup your confidence is us.

Toronto
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We went to Chicago for a weekend and ended up getting "stuck" there due to some really bad weather that shut down our home airport. Turned out to be very fortunate! The James Hotel is in a perfect location. It's one block from Michigan Avenue. There's a very good Italian restaurant called Quartino and a fantastic piano bar called Readhead within a couple of blocks. The staff was great throughout our stay. They accommodated us for an additional three nights and they were very courteous.

The James is a boutique hotel with a very cool feel to it. The rooms are nice and clean and the view is quite good. One of the highlights is the restaurant. Very good steak dinner, and even better breakfast (the pancakes were excellent).

Our friend booked the hotel for us and we were a little apprehensive because of the cost. We had very low expectations, as the room cost well below $200 per night. This hotel is easily comparable to $300-350 / night hotels.

We're planning a summer trip to Chicago and not considering staying in any other hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear cnate22,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am glad to see that despite a change in travel plans, you were able to spend a few more days with us and had a great experience. In addition to the room, it's great that you also enjoyed the delicious menu featured at David Burke's Primehouse. I am honored that you will only stay with us when visiting Chicago next time and truly appreciate your loyalty. Thank you again for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back again!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed here for my birthday and hosted some friends in one of their one bedroom apartments. Everything was simply great. They allowed me to check-in early so I drop off items and set up for my party that evening. I got my room number and realized it was the same as my birth date. I honestly thought that was the neatest thing.

The apartment itself was great - spacious and furniture easy to move for customizable layout. I absolutely love the dimmer switches in each room - especially the bathroom. Allowed for a great ambiance all night.

Location, staff, room were all great. I'm looking forward to the day I can afford to stay at the Miami and New York locations. :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear StarAlly,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am truly honored that you chose to spend your birthday with us, and that the apartment suite was ideal for your visit. I am grateful to hear that after staying with us, you would like to visit our other locations as well. On behalf of all of us at The James, we wish you a very Happy Birthday and hope that we will see you again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed at The James to celebrate a milestone birthday...........and our experience was exceptional from beginning to end..... Location is perfect! Lobby, bar and rooms nicely done in an urban chic decor as many downtown hotels are.... but the staff we encountered were amazing and that made the difference.

Bernie, Justin & EJ went out of their way and were extremely accommodating....

Last but not least, I want to recognize & thank Scott for adding so many special personal touches during our stay....

Thank you one & all........... we'll be back soon and until then sharing our experience with others.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear CStan10,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. It is an honor to hear that you chose to spend such a special occasion with us and I am happy to hear that you had a great birthday. The best compliment I can receive is that it was our amazing team that made all of the difference for your visit and I thank you for sharing your compliments. On behalf of the entire James team, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!