“Nice. Very Nice.”

The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile
Ranked #54 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I've stayed at the James before and love the property for many of the reasons that many commentators have mentioned: Great location, clean, simple rooms that are stylish without being cheese ball, simplicity that is not spartan, extremely personable staff (whatever the management does at The James to keep their staff so pleasant should be immediately replicated by every consumer-facing company), fair rates, and so on.

A few things I want to note about this hotel that I love and I wish more properties would follow suit on: 2 PM standard check out (this is logical as no property needs 6 hours to completely flip), light dimmers on all the lights in rooms (again, a small gesture that goes a long way), supplemental heat (in Chicago in January some mixed heat sources is welcome), nightly turndown service on even basic rooms (nice to get fresh towels, etc), free wifi (obviously), not an avalanche of signage, post-its and brochures cluttering up the guest space (If you've ever been near a W you know their is a sign for everything...'oh a wastebasket?, wow thanks for telling me!').

I think The James used to have Kiehl's products which I miss (the new stuff is fine, just, eh), but this is a very minor quibble. I know the industry trend is toward pumps in the shower mounted to the wall, but despite the environmental friendliness factor, I just can't get behind this.

All said: Easily my favorite hotel in Chicago given price, location and the friendliness of the staff. Food is solid at DB as well.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear MODERNNYC,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I truly appreciate the candid feedback you offered in your review, as it is always great to hear the perspective of a loyal guest. I am honored by your compliments of our room design, complimentary late check out, and especially our friendly team. I would like to note that if the wall-mounted bath products are not your preference, we are always happy to provide individual travel sized products; just ask our front desk team and they will be happy to send these upstairs to you next time. Thank you again for your continued loyalty to us; it is an honor to be your favorite hotel in Chicago. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Stephen Blackford

Write a ReviewReviews (3,450)

Reviewed 29 January 2014

The location is great, within easy walking distance from metro and shopping. The hotel is modern, clean and very nicely decorated. The beds were great and the bathroom felt almost like a mini spa. There is a good gym in the basement and a nice lounge area in the lobby. We recommend this to all of you- it is a great stay! The only down side is that there wasnt any breakfast.

Room Tip: Our room was on about the second floor, facing the street and we were not at all disturbed by noise...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear KajsaochMattias,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am honored to hear that you enjoyed your visit, thanks to our décor, comfortable rooms, and lobby bar. I sincerely appreciate your generous recommendation of us to fellow travelers on Trip Advisor. Thank you again for writing and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

You can walk to a couple different blues clubs, a few different piano bars, and you have an enormous restaurant selection to choose from, site seeing...a short cab ride can get you to Navy Pier or South Loop area...the hotel accommodations are terrific...and for the first time, every employee (every) greeted us with a smile and a hello... we felt like very valued guess...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear I M,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic experience, thanks to our convenient location and most of all, our friendly team that made you feel right at home. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Excellent hotel. It had a great location, close to all the great places including shopping and restaurants. The staff was excellent. The quality of the room was great. We loved the workout room. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear David H,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I truly appreciate your generous compliments of our hotel and glad that our location, gym, and especially our excellent team made your visit a great one. Most of all, I am honored by your recommendation of us to fellow travelers and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Full disclosure; we booked The James on Hotwire as a "blind" 4.5 star hotel. We were initially very disappointed in The James. Our "first" room was small, dingy and it utterly lacked clothing storage, lighting and charm. It had the smallest bathroom ever! It was more like a cheap college studio apartment (complete with rumpled futon as seating). Definitely not on par with the comparables per Hotwire (we've stayed at both the Intercontinental-business & Sofitel-pleasure quite a few times) and far below the "lesser rated" hotels we stayed in- Embassy Suites on Columbus, Hilton Suites on Delaware, Hyatt Regency. This room - on the 5th floor - was very noisy.The bathroom had family size pump bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the shower instead of the individually sealed containers usually found in hotels. It is cold and flu season and the idea of sharing the bottles with all the past guests in the room made me very wary. Plus, there was no way to know if a past guest had tampered with a bottle! The bathroom had an exterior, sliding barn style door (like a pocket door with no pocket) It had a porthole and was very odd. There is no real clothing storage - no dresser or nightstands. Tiny closet has a curtain instead of a door. There is also no work surface such as a desk. There IS a table in front of the futon which may be OK for eating, but I am not sure it would be comfortable to work upon.

Hotwire was surprisingly great. I called to let them know our disappointment and they called the front desk and had us upgraded to a junior king suite.It was a huge improvement but still not a true luxury experience. The higher room was much quieter than our initial room. The front desk was amazingly accommodating and very nice. They also sent us sample size sealed bottles of shampoo, etc. We had drinks and appetizers in the hotel bar and found the service great and the food very good and the prices fair. The turn down service with cookies was also unexpected and a very nice surprise. The doorman was always very helpful and smiling.

While we enjoyed are stay; I'm glad we didn't overpay; it's just not our style. (Different strokes for different folks.) Please be assured the service was really good and the location is central and fabulous!

Room Tip: The lower floors are VERY noisy
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MidwestSignorina
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear MidwestSignorina,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am disappointed to hear that you left with mixed feelings regarding your experience. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by the first room, but glad that our team was able to assist with an upgrade. In an effort to help the environment, we utilize the full sized bath products instead of the small bottles, but we are happy to provide the travel size upon request. Thank you for your compliments of our service and I sincerely hope you will consider us again when visiting our fair city.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at the James recently for work and it was all I needed (and more) for a business trip. The location is close to many restaurants and the hotel itself was spotless. The bed, linens and bath products were all of excellent quality. With a city view came a bit of noise, but the rooms were sound-proofed well. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. The rate was quite reasonable as well. All in all, clean, comfortable, modern and a good night's rest.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear ErinMacker,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, thanks to our convenient location and that our rooms were comfortable for your visit. Most of all, I am glad that you will consider returning the next time your travels return you to Chicago. Thank you for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We spent NYE and the week after at the James and had a fantastic time. The hotel was in an excellent location and within walking distance of all major attractions. We stayed in a loft suite and it was extremely spacious and very comfortable. The bed was particularly comfortable and I slept soundly every night, something I'm rarely able to do when staying in hotels! As we were in chicago during the big polar air freeze, the mulled cider in reception every day was a lovely treat! The concierge team in the hotel were extremely helpful, in particular laurelin who helped us to arrange our new tears eve plans and was so obliging in all our correspondence. The bar in the hotel had a good atmosphere and the overall decor of the hotel was modern, clean and very comfortable. I can't wait to return to chicago and will definitely stay at the James again!

• Stayed: January 2014
TheJamesChiGM, General Manager at The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear sarsher23,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The James Chicago. I am truly honored that you stayed with us for over a week and had a great experience despite the inclement weather. Thank you for your generous compliments of our comfortable beds, bar, and convenient location and that they all attributed to an enjoyable stay. Most of all, I am delighted that your first stay with us will not be your last and look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels return you to Chicago!